• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Buying magic items vs. finding magic items

Janx

Hero
Part of me thinks the resistance to "buying" magic items is perceived loss of GM control over the players inventory.

In a "must find" campaign, the GM controls the magic items by choosing what they find or censoring the random results.

Additionally, the party is hobbled/stuck with random "useless" items, rather than the PCs getting exactly what they want.

Whereas, in a "can buy" campaign, some GMs may feel obligated to make anything available by some means. And players may expect to be able to get whatever item is in the DMG, for the right price.

This can irritate the "if the kid asks for a cookie, you don't give him the cookie" reflex that some of us have.

Personally, I have that reflex. I tame it by letting the computer tell me what's in the treasure, and what's in the magic shop. In this way, I avoid exerting my annoyance at your constant asking for a Ring of Regeneration. You get one because the world enabled it to happen, not because I chose to let you find one or because you just casually bought one.

I see 2 extremes. The idea that there is no way to buy a magic item, everything must be found by PCs is highly unlikely given real Demand for magic items, and PCs accumulating a Supply of having excess magic items over time. Economics pretty much says there WILL be a market for magic items of some nature.

Just as silly is the Magic-R-Us store that has every item in the DMG on its shelves. Given the high value nature and danger of the items, it would be hard to protect and improbable that such a rich inventory could be accumulated.

To me, it is more plausible that really simple items (potions, scrolls, very common low level items) may be randomly available in a shop that is highly secured (like a bank/jewelry store). Other items would only be available by private sellers, brokers, and actual exchanges would be treated like illegal drug deals, very cautiously and securely.

So I would use random tables to fill out what's in these "common magic" shops, with each shop being different. And I would use random tables to determine what's available on the private market at any given time (probably limited to 5-6 items by very different people).

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I see 2 extremes. The idea that there is no way to buy a magic item, everything must be found by PCs is highly unlikely given real Demand for magic items, and PCs accumulating a Supply of having excess magic items over time. Economics pretty much says there WILL be a market for magic items of some nature.

I think the economic example is only true if there is a history of multiple adventuring type groups, thereby producing the supply and demand you speak of.

My view of D&D is the group that is currently playing in the world is the only (or one of very few) adventuring groups. Most everyone else is normal people. So there is no demand.

...just my two cents...

Jhaelen

First Post
At least in D&D there is the problem that there is no economy unless you allow pcs to buy magic items. I'm currently experiencing the problem in a 4e Darksun campaign: My pc recently reached paragon tier and there's simply nothing interesting left for me to do with my growing pile of cash. Since I'm supposed to be an adventurer I don't see any point in buying a tavern or trying to establish a merchant house. So, after buying a sand skimmer and a crodlu, what's left that could be of use for my character? Wine & wenches is simply too inexpensive! About the only thing I could think of is buying favours to build a network of contacts.

Gilladian

Adventurer
You know, I realized my previous post left out one major factor in how I'm now handling magic items. I've begun playing/running Dungeon World. In that game, the fiction will always dictate the situation's outcome. And players have tremendous input. So, they can't buy much in the way of magic. But when they find that glowing sword buried with the ancient hero, the first questions I will ask my players are "who was the hero? what was he famous for? Did his sword have a name? What did it do?" based on their answers, they get a flaming dragonslaying sword, or a clumsy hunk of junk with personality, or a sleek vorpal blade that hates blood... of course, how it gets implemented in-game, and the fictional complications that ensue, are up to me...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
My view of D&D is the group that is currently playing in the world is the only (or one of very few) adventuring groups. Most everyone else is normal people. So there is no demand.

There are always the sons of noble houses that go to war that need gear. Or the servants of rich merchants that must be outfitted. Adventuring is not the only violent and risky activity in the world...

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
There is always a demand for better weapons.

true indeed, wouldn't imply otherwise.

The point I was trying to convey was that if there wasn't hundreds of adventuring groups running around...then there's little demand on the "meta" scale if you will.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
There are always the sons of noble houses that go to war that need gear. Or the servants of rich merchants that must be outfitted. Adventuring is not the only violent and risky activity in the world...

Indeed.

It's all about how you frame the magic economy. Those nobles will drool over masterwork weapons OR perhaps bargain with the PCs for some of their loot. Just not a mass economy of it (works for me).

Derren

Hero
It's all about how you frame the magic economy. Those nobles will drool over masterwork weapons OR perhaps bargain with the PCs for some of their loot. Just not a mass economy of it (works for me).

Why not? If a noble can afford a magical weapon he will buy one. And when a king realizes that giving each of his captains a magical armor will make his army much stronger he will buy a lot of them.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Why not? If a noble can afford a magical weapon he will buy one. And when a king realizes that giving each of his captains a magical armor will make his army much stronger he will buy a lot of them.

Because nobody other than the adventurers (for the most part) has any?

Yes, you are correct.

I am not explaining my point well.

In my original post I clarified that for my campaigns, the example of the economy would not necessarily be true. You have to have the infrastructure.

Yes, with lots of NPC high level wizards and artificers, and lots of adventurers running around your thoughts are spot on.

But in the case I was proposing I would answer your "why not" with "who's he buying them from?"

It was just a reply to [MENTION=8835]Janx[/MENTION] 's statement about the economy. I was basically saying "it depends" on how the economy is, which would be affected by the levels of the NPCs and the number of adventurers running around.

BL: You can't assume the "demand" will be acted upon if the infrastructure is not there.

Remove ads