• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Buying mastercraft and magical items

davidgeisbush

First Post
So my party is 5th level in what is essentially a shadowchasers game (though I allowed a mage) and have finally come to bear with the fact that there are things out there that want to eat them. They're beginning to stock up on high MC equipment and the odd things is that there is often no difference in cost of a MC +1 gun and a MC +3 gun. In my game, weeks/months may pass between adventures in which characters can acquire truly frightening equipment. What are other GMs doing about it?

Does anyone have a rule for finding and purchasing MC items?

nobodez

Explorer
Well, the d20 MCR (p 94) states that a MC+1 item is +3 Wealth DC (a doubling of the price), while a +2MC is +6 (a 4x price point), and finally a +3MC is +9 (8x the price of the original item, give or take).

That means that to get your MC +3 to Attack Colt 1911, you'd have to make a DC 24 check ($3.5k - $5k), but your nicely made MC +1 Attack Colt 1911 is only a DC 18 ($0.9k-$1.2k), about a quarter of the price.

My favorite tactic is to purchase MC +3 attack guns and MC +3 damage ammo, lots of fun, expensive, but lots of fun.

Soundbyte

First Post
As far as finding and purchasing MC items, I usually let the PCs do so, but I don't make it easy for them, as this usually isn't the kind of stuff that can be found at the local mall. Usually in order to get access to MC items, they have to go on a mini-quest which might mean joining an organization of some sort, proving themselves to a selective supplier, or just passing a really tough credit check.

Just my $0.02.

Soundbyte

Remove ads