• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(By OGL I mean GSL) What terms are kosher?

Dodavehu

First Post
Just a few super quick questions about Wizards' GSL. I think I already know the answers, but it'd be good to hear it from someone else.

1. Can I use this text, found in the Monster's Manual?

Living Construct: You are an artificial being, a living construct, created to gather the secrets of reality. As a living construct, you have the following traits.
  • You gain a +2 bonus to saving throws against ongoing damage.
  • You don’t need to eat, drink, or breathe, but this doesn’t render you immune to any combat effect.
  • Rather than sleep, XXXX spend 4 hours refraining from any strenuous activity. You need to spend at least 4 hours in this state to gain the same benefits other races gain from taking a 6-hour
    extended rest. While resting in this low-exertion state, you are fully aware of your surroundings and notice approaching enemies and other events as normal.
  • When reduced to 0 hit points, you are less likely to die. When you make a death saving throw, you can take the better of your die roll or 10. You still die at the normal negative hit point total.
I think this question really boils down to how much (if any) of the MM is GSL.

2. Is "Far Realm" something that's trademarked? I'm pretty sure that things like "Feywild" and "Elemental Chaos" is off limits, but "Far Realm" seems a bit too generic to copywrite.

3. What about races and classes that have come out in other books? Words like "Artificer" and "Gnome" seem pretty generic. Are we allowed to say, for instance, that a race we make up would be suited to "Avengers" or "Artificers" or "Swordmages?" Are we allowed to say that "Gnomes" or "Half-Orcs" would make good [class we made up]?

4. What about languages and vision? Can we say "Low-light," "Darkvision," "Truesight" and the like? Can we say "Supernal," "Infernal," or "Daverk?"

Ok, I think that's all I have. Thanks a bunch!
--

Last edited:

Papa-DRB

First Post
Are you asking for the OGL, Open Gaming License which is essentialy for DnD V3.x, or are you asking for he GSL which is essentially DnD V4?

Nylanfs

Adventurer
Preface: AFAIK I am not a lawyer :)

1) No if it's listed in the SRD you can only reference the ability/spell/feat/power/etc. by refering to the book and chapter. ie

Living Construct: See MM, Chp X

2) Depends on who's got the better lawyers to decide in court, (or who can out-wait who). Essentially none of the fluff would be GSL, you can refer to it, I imagine that you can develop entirely original "locations and denizen" of any places listed in the SRD. But that would be about it.

3) Yes, you can say that X race has a tendency to be Y class (as long as Y class is one listed in the SRD). If it isn't and it's one of WotC's classes you can write them and a) ask if they plan on putting it into the SRD or b) ask for a special license to use Y class. Now if it's a class from a publisher other than WotC you will have to contact them inorder to reference and use their class. Because there isn't any lateral usage in the GSL like there was in the OGL (which is one of the big flaws IMO)

4) If it's listed in the SRD you can reference it, but you can't tell what it is. Only see PHB/DMG/MM Ch. X

Starglim

Explorer
2. and 3. edit: In a licenced product, you may not use Wizards IP that is not in the SRD, attack Wizards IP, or mention any of a certain list of creatures at all in any way. Basically, don't try to get clever, because you have signed away many uses you might make under general IP law. I don't know if Wizards would object to 3., but you're in trouble under the licence if they do.

4. Check the SRD. I would guess that "Truesight" and "Daverk" aren't in there and are in products to which WotC owns the rights, thus, you can't use them. From memory, the others you mention are OK.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
2. Is "Far Realm" something that's trademarked? I'm pretty sure that things like "Feywild" and "Elemental Chaos" is off limits, but "Far Realm" seems a bit too generic to copywrite.

Well, trademarked and copyrighted are two entirely different things.

That aside, it's nothing to do with either. It's a license (i.e. a voluntary contract you can choose to agree to), so it contains terms which define your obligations as licensee; one of those is to not use certain phrases, or not change the game definitions of others, or waive certain other fair-use rights. If you agree to do that, you get the benefits being offered by the license.

Remove ads