• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Byzantium on the Shannon III

CleverName

Explorer
Well, I'm not going to hope for another story hour as good as the last two, for obvious reasons. BUT for those of you who read the earlier ones, I wanted you to know that Palaestra goes on.

1) I'm starting a new campaign with some of the old players (Jon Hanna and Keith Martin) and new players on Wednesday. I'll be back with character briefs on Thursday after our character creation session. A writeup of the first adventure will follow after our first real game on the 23rd!

2) I'm re-doing the website - it's under constant re-construction right now, but there's actually some new stuff already there

(Check under Campaigns - Skia Thalassa for the new setup and map)

3) A d20 e-book should be out in a few weeks that uses one of Palaestra's cities as a background. More on that later.

Here's the intro to the new campaign:

The campaign is set around Skia Thalassa (the Sea of Shadows) that separates the two halves of the human empire of Iconium and borders much of Faerie. The area of Skia Thalassa is a bit larger that the Black Sea, but not quite the size of the Mediterranean on our world.

It is a place of brisk trade and occasional piracy and raiding — of both the more mundane and supernatural (monstrous) kind. Most merchants are well armed and stick to well—known routes. Only a few of the braver and more powerful Iconian flotillas actually stay under sail at night. Most merchants have small boats that put into shore at night.

Even armed with magic and miracles, it's a scary place for many. There are sea serpents, waterborne dragons, aquatic races, and magical isles that seem to move about its surface. The most common threats are rather mundane, pirates and the destructive force on the sea — the weather. Mighty storm clouds build over its waters and they have sent more ships below the waves than any other power.

Generally speaking the Iconians (humans) have the most advanced ships, but these are relatively few in number. The bulk of trade is done in smaller keelboats owned by private merchants of all the races. Still, of all the "nations," only the Ionians have an organized, well—trained navy. The orcs of Rolgulka have some enormous slave galleys, the ljosalfar are generally regarded as the best seamen, but the Iconians are the most dangerous, ship for ship. Still, the navy can't be everywhere and there's plenty of piracy on the Skia Thalassa — the Iconian navy and patrols only a small part of the sea.

While large human cities dot the southweastern shores of this sea, they treat much of the rest as a vast, unfriendly Faerie wilderness. They are half right.

There is a strong faerie presence here. One of Rolgulka's largest and most cosmopolitan cities, Varnia, broods over the northeastern corner of the sea. Scattered Cimbri tribes dot the northern shores, and a few rogue ljosalfar jarls have carved tiny kingdoms among the isles and inlets that dot its surface. From its shadows rises the great rock of Jormunsteinn, a seeming contradiction — a sunken mountain. Jormunsteinn's reportedly a single piece of granite, one of their holy mountains and great strongholds of the dekkalfar. (But then again the dekkalfar don't measure their kingdoms above the ground anyway.) Moreover, aquatic faeries, some inimical to all other cultures, are found here as well.

The straits of Iconium, at the human's capital, experience some of the world's strongest tidal action as salt water slips into the Skia Thalassa — gradually pooling into its lightless depths. While freshwater creatures ply the rich waters above, even the mighty Kraken can live in its dark, salty depths. Generally speaking the areas around the straits and along the shores are saltier than the rest of the Sea of Shadows.

Thanks and see you soon!

Last edited:

Old One

First Post
Glad to see the "Return of BotS"!

Wayne,

Glad to see you guys are coming back! How is Jon holding up? I think about him frequently, since my wife and I are expecting our first in February. Please let him know that others remember.

Looking forward to the new adventures!

~ Old One

CleverName

Explorer
Re: Glad to see the "Return of BotS"!

Old One said:
Wayne,

Glad to see you guys are coming back! How is Jon holding up? I think about him frequently, since my wife and I are expecting our first in February. Please let him know that others remember.

Looking forward to the new adventures!

~ Old One

Jon's doing better than I would. I'm hoping he will chime in, I sent him the link. He really did appreciate all the messages sent to the last thread.

CONGRATULATIONS OLD MAN!!!! Please pass on my best to your wife! That's great news!

Gideon

First Post
WELCOME BACK!!!!!!!!!!

If this story hour is half as good as the last two, my eyes will still bug out of my head.

Prayers still float Jon's way.

CleverName

Explorer
Skia Thalassa Characters

We got through character creation last night. The players started off at 6th level. We have several new classes and a new monster race being tried out, so I'm sure that I'll have a lot to report as time goes by.

Jon Hanna
Makar Gideon -- Human Sorcerer (6th Level)
Jon's using Monte Cook's version of the class - much cooler, IMHO.
Makar is a orphan who grew up on board merchant ships -- first as a ship's boy and then hiring himself out as a sorcerer mercenary.

Keith Martin
????? -- Human Paladin (6th Level)
Keith's character believes that Logos called him to Faerie - to what ends he does not know.

David Nickerson
Copoc Kitzam -- Kulkan (Lizardfolk) Shaman (4th level)
Copoc has been instructed by the ancestor spirit of a dead king to learn why the fae and humans are so much more successful than his kind. David and I are trying out Mongoose Press's version of this class.

Remi Truer
Malcom of the Vacomagi -- Cimbri (half-elf) fighter/rogue (3/3)
Malcom used to be a great warrior of the Cimbri until he was laid low (level drained) by the inhabitants of a ghost ship.

Another player, Steve MacDonald, will hopefully be re-joining us in November. Steve was set to play a 6th dwarf fighter until job duties pulled him out of the game.

We are scheduled to play on the 23rd, but I hope to be able to post more character info next week as their backgrounds get worked out -- perhaps the players will beat me to it...

blargney

First Post
Welcome back!

I've thought about you and Jon frequently, and I'm glad to see you're back, CleverName!

I'm looking forward to reading your new adventures!
-blarg

Ingolf

First Post
Brief character intro

Although born to a well-off noble family, Theon Agricola Ionness missed his chance at the easy life by a simple twist of fate. The younger of twins by a few minutes, Theon entered the world already in the shadow of his older brother Iaccobus.

Neither brother stood to inherit lands or title from their father Rogatus; the main part of the family wealth was destined for the eldest brother Diocletian; the expense of marrying off several older sisters depleted much of the wealth that might otherwise have fallen to the twins. So it was that Theon found himself bound for the church and, presumably, the priesthood. But clerical studies came to him with difficulty; he far preferred to spend his time sparring with the garrison or riding on a steed he’d charmed the stablemaster into lending him for the afternoon.

Theon felt that the will of God was leading him towards the life of a Paladin; a holy warrior dedicated to the defense and promotion of the one true church. Theon bent himself to this cause, and at last the benefits of noble birth that he’d been denied were available to him. He trained with sword, axe and bow as well as the courtly graves in anticipation of his role as defender and emmisary of the church. Most of all he yearned to ride into battle alongside his fellow Paladins, on the semi-divine warhorses many believed were sent from heaven itself.

When Theon had shown his skill sufficiently and the truth of his calling to the order of Paladins was beyond doubt, he retreated to the wilderness and spent a fortnight in fasting and earnest prayer, beseeching God to confirm his status as a Paladin and show him the path he must follow henceforth. Weak with hunger and exhaustion, he finally fell into a swoon and saw terrible visions of war and slaughter. He awoke to the scent of fresh blood and a strange keening cry. Before him was a most unexpected sight – a strange beast with the head, wings and forelegs of a great eagle, and the body of a horse – a hippogryph. At its feet was a freshly slain yearling deer. Too hungry to question these developments, Theon cooked and ate the kill as the slow realization that he would not be riding, but rather flying into battle began to settle into his mind.

Theon feels that the hippogryph, clearly sent from Logos to serve him as his mount, is a sign, but a sign of what he is not certain. Undeniably a creature of faerie, the beast has nonetheless served him loyally and with great devotion. So it is that the young Paladin has set out from the Old Country of the empire to see what he might learn in faerie itself, while he seeks for a sign of what it is he must do with his life.

MavrickWeirdo

First Post
Yeah

Verry kewl so far, but remember this DM doesn't give out benefits (such as flying mounts) without liabilities attached. :D

Last edited:

Remove ads