• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[CA] Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability

Thanee

First Post
The spell says, that the caster level is the master's.

But how about ability modifier, feats, etc? Do those count as well,
i.e. is it just the same as if the master cast the spell herself?

Ability modifier seems pretty obvious, the familiar won't usually have a high enough ability score to even cast the spell in the first place.

But what with Spell Focus?

How about Metamagic (for spontaneous casters)?
Can it be applied to an imbued spell?
Do you have to apply it when imbueing, i.e. you imbue an extended Invisibility using a 3rd level slot?

Also, what kind of action is it, when the familiar lets loose? Casting a spell? Using a spell-like ability?
(I think the latter, because of the component issues.)

How would you do all this?

Bye
Thanee

Scharlata

First Post
Thanee said:
[...] How would you do all this?

Hi!

I guess that you transfer some of your own spells, not only the ability to cast spells.

So, the master of the familiar transfers the prepared spell/spell slots into the familiar. As such, the master can prepare any spell with metamagic feats (spontaneous casters can't, I guess) and then transfer the modified spell into his familiar.

Enjoy!

Thanee

First Post
Hmm... it says "Spontaneous spellcasters can imbue a familiar with any spells they now how to cast."
A sorcerer with Extent Spell does know how to cast extended Invisibility, or not?

But what about the rest?

* What ability is the save DC based on, master's or familiar's?
* If it is the familiar's, does it need to be sufficiently high to cast the spell (10+SL)?
* Does Spell Focus apply to transferred spells?
* Is it actual spellcasting or rather a spell-like ability to 'cast' the transferred spells?
* If it is spellcasting, what about verbal and somatic components?

Bye
Thanee

Pyrex

First Post
Here's how we ruled it in our tabletop game where my Sorc took the feat.

*DC, Caster Level & feats (Spell Focus, Penetration, etc) as per the Caster
*Familiar uses the 'Cast a Spell' action with the original casting time.
*Transferring the spells is part of the casting time of the Imbue spell.
*Verbal/Somatic compoents are altered for the familiar's form (i.e., can't cast a spell with Verbal component when silenced, Somatic when grappled, etc)
*Material components are consumed when Imbue is cast.
*Spontaneous casters apply metamagic when transferring the spell.

Bonus fun with Imbue: 'Assay Resistance' actually targets the Caster. Which means 'Share Spells' applies. Which means your familiar gains the +10 to the SR check against the creature you Assayed.

MacMathan

Explorer
That is basically the way we ran it IMC too. Although we did have the familiar need a spell pouch too if it was not in contact with the caster when it used the stored spells.

In hindsite I think using up the components when the spell is imbued would be better.

It is a very nice spell, makes up for toting the little vulnerable bag of XP-loss around for 10 levels :)

Of course IMC casters had the option of not taking the familiar and getting an extra feat at first so it was a bit of a sacrifice at the low levels to have one.

Scharlata

First Post
Hi!

Thanee said:
Hmm... it says "Spontaneous spellcasters can imbue a familiar with any spells they now how to cast."
A sorcerer with Extent Spell does know how to cast extended Invisibility, or not?
IMC, a spontaneous caster has "Spells Known", not "Metamagic Modified Spells Known". ;)

Thanee said:
* What ability is the save DC based on, master's or familiar's?
Master's, because the spell is transferred from the master to the familiar.

Thanee said:
* Does Spell Focus apply to transferred spells?
Yes, because the spell is transferred.

Thanee said:
* Is it actual spellcasting or rather a spell-like ability to 'cast' the transferred spells?Thanee
The spells are not spell-like abilities, because the spells are transferred.

Thanee said:
* If it is spellcasting, what about verbal and somatic components?
The familiar casts the transferred spells as normal. If the familiar happens to be armored, ASFC applies.

Enjoy!

Thanee

First Post
MacMathan said:
In hindsite I think using up the components when the spell is imbued would be better.

Material components are actually handled in the spell description.

They vanish due to some kind of magical trick from the master's pouch, when the familiar casts the spell. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Scharlata said:
IMC, a spontaneous caster has "Spells Known", not "Metamagic Modified Spells Known". ;)

It doesn't say 'spells known' it says 'know how to cast'. ;)

In any case, I think metamagic should either be allowed for both types or for none.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads