• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Call of Cthulhu d20 out of print?

Cowpie Zombie

First Post
I know WotC has lost the license for Call of Cthulhu which, as I understand it, requires them to remove all CoC material from their website and forbids any new material. But does this also mean that the d20 Call of Cthulhu game is now out of print? Or does WotC still produce it?

Katowice

Explorer
They didn't "lose" the license; it simply expired. I think you can still get the book used or order directly from Chaosium. If you can get it, it's a good setting book for d20 Modern.

http://www.chaosium.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=100

Cowpie Zombie said:
I know WotC has lost the license for Call of Cthulhu which, as I understand it, requires them to remove all CoC material from their website and forbids any new material. But does this also mean that the d20 Call of Cthulhu game is now out of print? Or does WotC still produce it?

slingbld

Explorer
When they lost the liscence, they lost the ability to print the book or anything relating to CoC. So, unless another company can get the CoC liscense & permission from WotC to re-publish thier work, the game is unfortunately OOP.... :(

Cowpie Zombie said:
The license has expired and WotC no longer has any connection to the game. It's not technically out of print since there are still copies in the distribution system and you can still order direct from Chaosium, but AFAIK there are no plans for another print run when the current copies are sold through; to many people, this is equivalent to "out of print."

Chaosium has the right to publish new material for D20 CoC, but it remains to be seen if they will do so (I'd put my money on "no"). A shame, I quite like it and as Katowice said it's great material for D20 Modern if that's where your interests lie.

KoOS

takyris

First Post
I'll just be using d20 Modern with the Sanity rules from Unearthed Arcana. :) Not a perfect solution, since d20M folks are definitely more powerful, but when I gave one of my players a Cha2/Ded1/Smrt2/Fst1 reporter, he played her as appropriately frightened when the zombies attacked...

takyris said:
I'll just be using d20 Modern with the Sanity rules from Unearthed Arcana. :) Not a perfect solution, since d20M folks are definitely more powerful, but when I gave one of my players a Cha2/Ded1/Smrt2/Fst1 reporter, he played her as appropriately frightened when the zombies attacked...
I like it better that way. Cthulhu-pulp, baby! Although you really should try to pick up the Cthulhu book; it's one of the best in my collection.

Ranger REG

Explorer
King of Old School said:
Chaosium has the right to publish new material for D20 CoC, but it remains to be seen if they will do so (I'd put my money on "no"). A shame, I quite like it and as Katowice said it's great material for D20 Modern if that's where your interests lie.
They initially planned to support CoC d20 core rulebook with a campaign setting for that ruleset, but they got too busy calming the restless natives (i.e., their fanbase) that panicked over what they thought was a system switchover (BRP to d20). So that setting product have been scrapped in favor of dual-stat books.

So, the ball is in Chaosium's court.

King of Old School said:

Actually, Chaosium has been publishing d20 stats as an appendix to several of their recent books. H.P. Lovecraft's Dunwich, H.P. Lovecraft's Arkham, and H.P. Lovecraft's Kingsport all have the stats included, althoughn Dunwich has quite a few errors in them. I highly recommend all 3 books, as well as the CoC d20 book.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Well, I think Chaosium is putting out d20 Cthulhu stuff - at least, they have dual statted several of their books.

It's just that Chaosium is cash poor (apparently due to mismanagement - when the CCG craze was big, they had a huge staff and such, but when the bubble burst, it hit them hard), and so rarely puts out brand new books.

Which is also apparently why the real Pulp Cthulhu never materialized...

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
Yeah, every RPG businesses got hit bad when TCG trend was introduced back in the 90's. That's why I have a love-hate relationship with WotC. But I never thought that Chaosium was in a bad shape. I mean everywhere I look, I know of at least one gamer that is devoted to CoC.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads