• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Call of Cthulhu

Fathead

First Post
Alright, I'm looking for some suggestions. With Halloween approaching, I've seen a few posts regarding horror games. I had purchased the d20 Call of Cthulhu game a few months back (and promptly ignored it until now). I have NEVER run a horror game, but the idea intrigues me.

First, I'd like some suggestions on novels that I could read (I always try to do my research first). I've never read any HP Lovecraft (so we might as well start there).

Second, I'd like some suggestions on horror modules that my fellow EnWorlders REALLY enjoyed (and, of course, a brief description on WHY you enjoyed it so much).

Third, I'd like to get opinions on how to create the that palpable tension that is the trademark of the horror genre.

Fourth, I'd like to get some suggestions (links preferred) regarding strange and bizarre real life events (newspaper clippings and such). My inclination is that incorporating such things into the game would add to the realism. I'm also tossing around the idea of involving the players before I even begin the game (sending them obscure items in the mail, with no explanation and no return address...I might even enlist the help of my fellow EnWorlders so that I can send these letters or packages from several states away).

Alright...the floor is open! Have at it!

Henry

Autoexreginated
I recently recommended this one for a one-shot, though the person never got to use it:

http://montecook.com/mjcook_CoC_infest.html

Great intro adventure of 4 hours or less duration, and very creepy.

If you are looking for inspiration on HP lovecraft, I recommend his two stories "The Call of Cthulhu" and "The Dunwich Horror"

http://www.gizmology.net/lovecraft/works/

Please note the "Dunwich Horror" mp3 radio broadcast from 1945 on this page.

If you've purchased the Call of Cthulhu d20 game, the DM section contains invaluable information on the creation of proper atmosphere. I advise you to begin there, and the web sites I pointed out. It's more "mystery Horror" and "hopeless Horror" than it is "slasher horror."

However, I am about to recommend something that may be a bit of d20 Heresy:

The BRP version of Call of Cthulhu (the original, from Chaosium) is better for Horror One-shots in my opinion.

Its ruleset is geared toward VERY normal men and women who face something out of their league; you have very little power in the way of defense against the mythos creatures, and you start out as good as you will EVER be. I daresay the original also contains even better information on running lovecraft horror than the d20 version does.

It is still available through Chaosium and through most RPG shops, and costs about the same as the d20 Book. Both systems are well worth purchase, but the Original version contains a greater wealth of source material.

Last edited:

Yellow Sign

Explorer
Henry said:
However, I am about to recommend something that may be a bit of d20 Heresy:

The BRP version of Call of Cthulhu (the original, from Chaosium) is better for Horror One-shots in my opinion.

Its ruleset is geared toward VERY normal men and women who face something out of their league; you have very little power in the way of defense against the mythos creatures, and you start out as good as you will EVER be. I daresay the original also contains even better information on running lovecraft horror than the d20 version does.

Hummm you must have had a different BRB version than me. While a fine book, I think John Tynes' part of Call of Cthulhu d20, on the Mythos, stories, and how to run a COC game is much more detailed and indepth than what was in the old BRP version. Though that is just my humble opinion. :)

Henry

Autoexreginated
I just knew I should have added some specifics! :)

I am referring to the 5.5 version (the current one), which has a lot of stuff cut from version 5. Namely stuff like:

-a fuller list of mythos tomes
-three sample adventures with lots of background on their settings instead of two
-a map of Arkham, Massachusetts
-a more extensive "cthulhu mythos tome" library
-forensic information, including the stages that a dead body goes through by each hour after death
-a slightly fuller bestiary of gods and servitor races
-possibly the most famous "Call of Cthulhu" cartoon in existance
-several essays on the cthulhu mythos(including the Sadowsky essay on Cthulhu's origins)
-a more detailed section on advice for running the horror games in the keeper's section

Yellow Sign

Explorer
Humm that might be it. I only have the 5th edition. I will have to look into it and do a comparison. Sure is nice to wake up in the morning to a newspaper, a cup of coffee, and some nice Call of Cthulhu talk! :D

Zenon

First Post
Fathead said:
First, I'd like some suggestions on novels that I could read (I always try to do my research first). I've never read any HP Lovecraft (so we might as well start there).

Luckily for you, there are a bunch of stories available on the web:

http://www.ech-pi-el.com/lovecraft/works/index.htm
or
http://www.gizmology.net/lovecraft/works/index.htm

Both links are the same, but in case one isn't available I posted both.

Start with (obviously) The Call of Cthulhu.

I'd recommend:
At The Mountains of Madness
The Case of Charles Dexter Ward
The Colour Out of Space
The Dunwich Horror
The Shadow Over Innsmouth
The Whisperer in Darkness

Those should give you a good feel for telling stories set in the mythos.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Fathead

First Post
Thanks for the recommendations! It looks like I have some reading to do.

As for forensics, I do have some writers guides at home (including one on body trauma), so I should be set there. But, I'll have to take a look at version 5.5. Hmmm...I wonder if that is available in pdf? I'll have to shop around some.

Speaking of horror, has anyone here read House of Leaves? I thought that some of the concepts would be interesting gaming material.

Also, if you get the chance, stop by my other thread (same theme) and put in some suggestions:

http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67142

Zenon said:
Start with (obviously) The Call of Cthulhu.

I'd recommend:
At The Mountains of Madness
The Case of Charles Dexter Ward
The Colour Out of Space
The Dunwich Horror
The Shadow Over Innsmouth
The Whisperer in Darkness
I'll add The Rats in the Walls to the list of must read HPL stories. Its my favorite of all his works.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads