• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Call to the Four Lands

J. Alexander

First Post
Play By Post - Call to the Four Lands
This post is being edited to help clarify things for the en world format...sorry for any confusion.

I am currently looking for 3 to 5 individuals who can commit to posting at least once every 48 hours to a campaign setting I have been working on for almost 4 years. Characters will start out at 8th level and can be any of the core classes a player wishes. The world is heavily racist towards non-humans so if you choose to play a elf or a dwarf, etc. be prepared for some major grief. Further magic is considered to be the province of dark powers unless somehow, like with a sorcerer, they are acquired at birth. The only core race not allowed is that of a halfling. Potential players can generate a character by rolling 4d6 8 times at www.invisiblecastle.com and dropping the lowest score. I am really looking for individuals who like to play simple, basic characters. In the world there is more political and economic intrigue and plots than dungeon crawling, so a willingness to role-play and interact with other characters and npc's is very vital.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at Jalexan134@aol.com.

Thanks
J.

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
I would definitely be interested in your campaign...I've been looking for an opportunity to play either a Cleric or Wizard character.

J. Alexander

First Post
Cleric/Wizards

Rhun,

Both are always needed in a party of course.....as to clerics they are slightly different....some 2000 years ago a massive war among the gods of good and the gods of evil occuried on the heels of an invasion of strong humaniod armies from the north. As a result of this war, the human lands in what is now the Valley of Light, and those lands to the southeast and southwest of it were overun and the old human kingdoms all but oblierated. This lasted some 200 years (can not recall the precise time line) at which point the surviving clerics of the good gods banded together to form "The Light" and began to combat and eventually overthrow the northern invaders. As a result there is no chief or principal deity to worshop. Clerics, unless you play a cleric of one of the human lands not associated with the Light, worship the "light" in general.

The best way to describe it is to think of the formation of the Catholic Church with it's various saints. The older gods who surrendered much of their power to form the light are worhsipped as saints,,,think Saint Athena, Saint Thor, etc. So you can be a cleric of the light yet chose an order dedicated to a patron saint which defines your access to diving magic....Hope this is not to muddled.

Magic as it was used by the northern invaders to supress and overrun the human kingdoms is highly frowened upon by the church. Indeed some 500 years ago, magic was declared illegal by the church and the once famous schools of magic were sacked/closed down or destoryed with the magic users themselves being burned at the stake as heretics. To this day, arcane magic is very hard to find and most will not admit to being an arcane spell caster as it will often cost them their life.

If you will send me an email address, I will send you a 30 some odd page background on the Four lands which will help you get a better idea of the political,religious climate...

hope this has helped...

J.

Rhun

First Post
J. Alexander said:
If you will send me an email address, I will send you a 30 some odd page background on the Four lands which will help you get a better idea of the political,religious climate...

Excellent, thank you. Please send to:

mperson <at> iwon <dot> com

One question...if arcane magic is frowned upon by the church, how would we work having a wizard and cleric in the same party?

J. Alexander

First Post
Party Dynamics

Actually it is not that difficult,,,,most of the clerics of the light are simple parish priestes with very limited access to domains....think of your local priest or pastor simply going thru life tending his congregation. There are religious orders and militan orders devoted to variouis casues some of which are the supression of magic. It would be up to the two player characters to find common ground so to speak and establish their working relationship. Not all clerics are going to be rabidly anti-magic..some in fact will be more tolerant. In fact the four great militant orders of church knighs have special dispensation to practice arcane magic and they must learn from someone...So in short it depends on who you wish to play your character and how blantant the mage in the party is in his use of magic.....even by church standards the use of arcane magic to defeat a demon plaguing a small town. can not be all that bad.....hope that helps

j

Rhun

First Post
It does make more sense now...I'm getting a very "Deryni Series" feel out of what you've said so far. Don't know if you've read any of those books, but the game sounds like it has a lot in common.

J. Alexander

First Post
Books

Yes i am a huge fan of the series and several of the kingdoms and place names have been borrowed from that series.....The actual name the Four Lands comes from the geographic divison of the races in Terry Brooks "Shannara" series...a concept i liked and decided to use...so you have elves in the west, dwarves in the east, humans in the center and demi humans in the north.........but be prepared the world is huge.....from the human borderlands on the northern border to the soutlands on the sea some several thousand miles seperate them with the contient being some 2000 miles wide from the east to west borderland.

You will also find similarites from several other fantasy books and they are infact clues to the places and the kingdoms to those who have read the series. Also there is the simple fact that even as creative as i am at times, i find it hard and difficult to come up entirely original names for countries and cities...thus the use from books in order to give clues to the savy player character.

J. Alexander

First Post
Gold/Hit Points

Roll your hit points on invisible castle....but you total hitpoints have to be at least 70 percent of the maximum available to you so keep rolling till you break that 70 percent barrier..

As for gold......that is going to be dependent on class and race......and to a large extent upon you in your choice of backgrounds...it is permissable, that is if you want to write up a detailed history jusfying it, for a character to be of noble birth and even in direct line of sucession to a major holding......or to come from a rich mercantile family...etc....So for the sake of equiping you characters you may take anything within reason as long as you can and are willing to justify how you got it and why you have it in writing to the dm....I am huge on character background and history which allows me as a dm to tailor things to the players and allows me to decide if a character is acting within his personailty and backgound,,,things upon which bonus xp will be awarded..but please no +5 holy flaming dancing vorpal swords.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads