• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Calling all Graz'zt scholars!

Shemeska

Adventurer
Don't make mommy make her scary face

Well you've got cool points in my book for going with Pale Night as Graz'zt's mother.

Will you include some mention of Vucarik and Lupercio (and some new ones?) as being fellow spawn of Pale Night?

But beyond that, here's a few things to ponder:

Pale Night is one of the oldest Obyriths. I've always been partial to her as being one of the first generation Obyriths that might actually remember their exile from the Waste when their creators drove either exiled them into the primordial Abyss, or seeded the Abyss with them intentionally, or perhaps just abandoned them following the Law/Chaos purge of the early yugoloths.

Yet despite being an obyrith, Pale Night's child Graz'zt is a tanar'ri, so either the father is a tanar'ri, or perhaps Graz'zt might have been manipulated in-utero by the "mother of demons"? Parthenogenesis and self-experimentation for the win?

Who else was around very early in Abyssal history to make Graz'zt be something other than an obyrith? Perhaps an exiled Slaad Lord and Pale Night? We really don't know what happened to those yugoloths who refused the General of Gehenna and retained their flaws of law and chaos and then fled into the hinterlands of the Waste and potentially beyond. Perhaps they stumbled upon their wayward cousins in the Abyss and had some dealings with them prior to the rise of mortals on the prime material?

Canon aside, I've also worked in my own campaign continuity that the first tanar'ri were spawned by the rape of Pale Night by the baernaloth Methikus sar Telmuril, the Flesh Sculptor. Of course that was written up before you developed the obyriths fully, so I've shifted some mythology accordingly to work them into the mix. Who's to say that Pale Night didn't seek out her kind's creators like Cabiri did, but while he ended up imprisoned in the Wells of Darkness for knowing too much, she left with something more concrete, for purposes known only to her and perhaps the Gloom Fathers.

Perhaps Pale Night's actual children, and their children, and their children's children, etc... are all part of Pale Night's plan to return the obyriths to power in the Abyss. Perhaps her influence lingers on in their blood like a sort of lysogenic virus, lurking and hidden, quiescent for eons till the tanar'ri show some sign of weakness, at which point it re-expresses itself and births a new generation of obyriths from the tainted flesh of her tanar'ri offspring?

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Voadam said:
In 4e since devils are humanoid looking and demons are monstrous, Grazzt being Asmodeus' devil son turned renegade demon lord works to a certain extent.

BUT: Since this article is a 3.5 article... I thankfully don't have to include anything about this recent development whatsoever. Which is nice, since Graz'zt's already got strong ties to succubi and Malcanthet and all that.

ivocaliban

First Post
James Jacobs said:
BUT: Since this article is a 3.5 article... I thankfully don't have to include anything about this recent development whatsoever. Which is nice, since Graz'zt's already got strong ties to succubi and Malcanthet and all that.

This answer makes me want to hug you. :eek:

Epiphanis

First Post
attachment.php

Attachments

• family tree.gif
    family tree.gif
    11.8 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:

Thanael

Explorer
Garnfellow said:
It's been a long, long time but check out Fred Saberhagen's novel The Black Mountains, the second book in the Empire of the East Trilogy. These books were hugely influential on D&D, with elemental summoning (and the old distance distortion spell), djinn, and . . . demon princes.

Zapranoth is a demon lord in that book who -- if my failing memory serves me well -- bears more than a passing resemblance to Graz'zt.
Mark Hope said:
There is a race of beings in Zelazny's Nine Princes in Amber who bear a surprising resemblance to Graz'zt (or, rather, the other way around). They live on a plane called Avernus, they're red-skinned, eight or nine feet tall, with pointed ears, cat-like eyes and have six clawed digits on each hand and foot. And they carry big-ass swords. A possible inspiration, perhaps?
So has anybody read up on these two?

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots said:
If it were me -- and clearly, it is not -- this would be a central aspect of Graz'zt's nature in D&D. Of course, the lack of actual witches in the game complicates things somewhat.
If it were up to me to figure out how to adapt that idea to D&D---and again, clearly it is not---I'd make it so that Graz'zt's specialty was creating perverted mystery cults within the framework of mainstream religions, duping otherwise innocent (or at least well-intentioned) members of the faith into worship of himself. In that scenario, the "witches" would become fallen clerics (who can disguise their fall, because hey! now Graz'zt is granting them spells so they can maintain the charade) and the covens would be the flock that is gradually perverted to Graz'zt-worship.

Remove ads