• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Caltrops & Burning Oil

Madmike_v40

First Post
I could not find rules for both Caltrops & Burning Oil, where would they be or how would a DM go about creating them.

What would the rules for improvised caltrops(e.g. broken glass).

Burning Oil would be an improvised thrown weapon, cost 1sp & weigh 1lb but what of the damage or splash area.

Any input will be helpfull.:]

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I would use the DMG rules on p42 to work out an appropriate result for the given level.

I'd probably say that Caltrops make one square into difficult terrain (and do minor damage if you become prone in that square).

I'd probably say that burning oil does minor damage to anyone in the square and a target who is hit takes ongoing 2 fire damage (save ends) like the kobold slinger stuff.

Yeah, I agree with Plane Sailing:

You could scale the effect with the size of the oil container, but say:

Improvised thrown; Dex versus Reflex, range 5/10,

* Small = One square only, 1D4 initial damage, 2 ongoing (save ends).
* Medium = Burst 1, 1D6 initial damage, 3 ongoing (save ends).
* Large = Burst 2, 1D8 initial damage, 3 ongoing (save ends).

(Adjust to taste)

Yeah, I agree with Plane Sailing:

You could scale the effect with the size of the oil container, but say:

Improvised thrown; Dex versus Reflex, range 5/10,

* Small = One square only, 1D4 initial damage, 2 ongoing (save ends).
* Medium = Burst 1, 1D6 initial damage, 3 ongoing (save ends).
* Large = Burst 2, 1D8 initial damage, 3 ongoing (save ends).

(Adjust to taste)
This is a good start, I might make the small one have the largest range, maybe it has range 15/30, then 10/20 for medium, and 5/10 for large, to represent the difficulty with throwing a large pot o' burning oil and not spilling any on yourself :)

There is a bit of a discussion on Caltrops over here, where I suggested using the Stunts rules to set up a scaling mechanic in which the users skill at spreading them is more important that the actual item.

Remove ads