• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Camazotz, Demon Prince of Vampires and Werebats

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Here he is, Camazotz, made with a template from our very own The Serge.

--------------------

Camazotz
Large Outsider (Chaotic, Earth, Evil)

Hit Dice: 16d10+19d4+280 (516 hp)
Initiative: +9
Speed: 40 ft., fly 110 ft. (perfect)
AC: 41 (+9 Dex, +11 natural, +12 profane, -1 size), touch 30, flat-footed 32
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+13
Attack: Claw +13 melee
Full Attack: 2 claws +13 melee and bite +11 melee
Damage: Claw 1d4+6, bite 1d6+3
Face/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Dive, poison, spell-like abilities, spells, summon tanar'ri, summon varrangoin
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., DR 35/+6 or jade, Abyssal fury, corrupting presence, daylight weakness, holy avoidance, low-light vision, negation, SR 54, telepathy, demon prince qualities
Saves: Fort +26, Ref +27, Will +14
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 26, Con 27, Int 23, Wis 17, Cha 18
Skills: Animal Empathy +21, Concentration +48, Craft (alchemy) +26, Hide +29, Knowledge (arcana) +30, Knowledge (the planes) +37, Listen +33, Move Silently +38, Scry +32, Spellcraft +38, Spot +29, Survival +35
Feats: Alertness, Combat Casting, Craft Wand (B), Improved Initiative, Malign Spell Focus, Mortalbane, Multiattack (B), Scribe Scroll (B), Spell Focus (Evocation), Spell Focus (Illusion), Spell Focus (Necromancy), Violate Spell (fireball)
Climate/Terrain: Any land and underground
Organization: Unique (Camazotz + 2 of each caste of varrangoin)
Challenge Rating: 44
Treasure: Quadruple standard
Alignment: Chaotic evil

All things considered, Camazotz is actually one of the weaker powers of the Abyss. He rules only one dank and humid layer (the 89th, also known as Xibalba). Camazotz is an oversized batlike humanoid believed to have been a varrangoin at one time. Oversized eyes dominate his gaunt face. He has a somewhat slender build and two pairs of bat wings spread from his back. Instead of the pitch-black body of the varrangoin, however, Camazotz’s body is greenish, appearing to made of vines. Small blossoms sprout from his skin here and there.

Of all fiends, Camazotz comes to the Prime Material most often (which is still rarely). He flies through the night accompanied by his guard (6 varrangoin, two of each caste, with the maximum hit points per HD), descending to create havoc and chaos among mortals. Children among the Tlazcatl are warned to come indoors as soon as night falls, lest Camazotz get them.

Access to the Darkness domain is granted to servants of Camazotz within 100 feet.

Dive: Camazotz may make a dive attack. Claws extended, he dives at a foe at blinding speed, inflicting 5d6+3 damage at the standard claw attack bonus. This attack also has the vorpal quality.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will - abyssal might, acid fog, bestow curse, blade barrier, blasphemy, chaos hammer, circle of death, darklight, deeper darkness, Evard's black tentacles, destruction, detect law, fear, fireball, flesh ripper, ghoul touch, greater dispelling, halt undead, harm, power leech, protection from good, shout, summon swarm (bats), unhallow, unholy aura, unholy blight, vampiric touch, wall of force, wretched blight; 6/day - implosion, sap strength, shadow walk, stunning screech; 3/day - power word, stun; 2/day - dispel magic; 1/day - animate dead, arcane eye, flesh to stone, mirror image, polymorph other, polymorph self, shriveling, spectral hand, spread of savagery, were-doom; 1/week - despoil, horrid wilting. These abilities are as the spell cast by a 36th-level sorcerer.

Spells: Camazotz is a mighty sorcerer. He casts spells as a 19th-level wizard (6/6/5/5/5/5/4/4/4/4; save DC 16+spell level, 18+spell level for evocation, illusion, or necromancy.

Summon Tanar'ri (Sp): As a standard action, Camazotz may automatically summon 1d8 bar-lgura or 1d4+1 shadow demons.

Summon Varrangoin (Sp): As a standard action, Camazotz may automatically summon 1d10 lesser varrangoin or 1d6 rager or arcanist varrangoin.

Abyssal Fury (Ex): All beings who come within 60 feet of Camazotz must make a Will save (DC 26). Those who fail take a -2 morale penalty on attacks, saves, and ability checks. The merest glance or gesture from Camazotz makes them frightened, and they flee as quickly as they can, although they can chose the path of their flight.

Corrupting Presence (Su): Camazotz may corrupt an entire area with but a thought. Once per day as a standard action, he may unhallow a 1505 foot area. Camazotz can apply the following spells to the unhallow effect (some of which are not listed as part of the unhallow spell in the Player's Handbook): bane, bestow curse, contagion, deeper darkness, dispel magic, silence.

Daylight Weakness (Ex): Exposure to bright light (such as sunlight or a daylight spell) blinds Camazotz for 1 round, and even after the blindness wears off, Camazotz takes a -1 penalty on all attacks, saves, and skill checks made while in the light.

Holy Avoidance (Su): Camazotz avoids hallowed ground. If for some reason he enters holy ground, he must make a Will save (DC 40 + the divine rank of the represented god + 9); this is unaffected by the Demon Prince’s spell resistance. If Camazotz succeeds in entering the hallowed area, the area immediately becomes unhallowed. Once Camazotz breaches holy ground, the god in question is immediately alerted to the fiend's presence and will often send a proxy or an avatar to deal with the intrusion.

Negation (Su): Camazotz is immune to almost all magics, as he can cast dispel magic at will as a 36th-level caster. This is accomplished by tapping into the forces of the Abyss.

Telepathy (Su): Camazotz can communicate telepathically with any creature within 100 feet that has a language.

Demon Prince Qualities: Constantly under the effects of detect good, detect magic, and see invisibility spells as cast by a 31st-level sorcerer. Camazotz is immune to polymorphing, petrification, or any other attack effecting its form; mind-affecting spells or effects, disease, poison, stunning, sleep, paralysis, and disintegration; energy drain, ability drain, or ability damage; critical hits; immortal. Camazotz is immune to electricity, acid, cold, and death effects. These immunities take effect if the user is of less than 36 levels, or unless it is a deity of Divine Rank 2 or above. Furthermore, he can sense anything within one mile of a place where is mentioned its name, title, or an associated item (this power has no effect in an area consecrated to good deities or in a demiurge's personal domain).

-----------

The spells abyssal might, darklight, despoil, flesh ripper, power leech, sap strength, shriveling, spread of savagery, stunning screech, and were-doom are from the BOVD, as are the shadow demon, bar-lgura, the Mortalbane, Malign Spell Focus, and Violate Spell feats and the Darkness domain. Camazotz was originally an arcanist varrangoin (FF) advanced to the maximum 16 Hit Dice, and given class levels Wizard 19.

Last edited:

The Serge

First Post
I'm just now seeing this.

I'll look at it in more detail when I have the Fiend Folio.

Curious to find out why the bab is so low...

In the next week or so, an updated version of Horrors of The Abyss will be available at Dicefreaks.

I'll get back to you.

The Serge

First Post
Part of the problem with the bab is that it should be at least 16 since Magical Beasts receive bab progession equal to their HD.

For the remaining four levels before 21st level, it would progress as a Wizard. So, at 20th level, your Demon Lord would have a bab of 18. He would have a flat bonus of +24 (-1 for size) I believe with all levels and HD added together. Add his Str for melee and his bonus would be +34 (his ranged bonus would be +32).

Initiative would +12 (+8 for Dex modifier and +4 for Improved Initiative).

The bonus to his claw and bite damage would be +10 and +5 respectively.

I have his saves at 26/26/24 (tried to figure out how you came to 26 for his Ref... although it's possible I added wrong. I'm tired).

Abyssal Fury DC should be 22 (10 + 1/2 HD or 8 + Cha modifier or 4).

Negation: This is really, really powerful. Clearly, this is based upon the Spell Immunity of the base creature and that's fine, but I think it's a little much. How about he keeps the immunity to spells 3rd level and lower, gains immunity to spells 4th level and lower (a la globe of invulnerability) and gains a flat 50% chance to ignore all other magical effects under 9th level? For starters, it's more balanced "mechanically," he still can use his SR, and it reflects the variability and randomness of The Abyss.

Corrupting Presence should have a radius of 560 feet.

Dive: Isn't this usually considered an aerial charge? Like the vorpal component. Nasty.

His caster level for spell-like abilities is HD + 6... 22 in this case. The template does not add class HD to the equation.

All in all, not bad. Good luck with future creations!

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
The Serge said:
Like the vorpal component. Nasty.

I was basing that off the folkloric Camazotz, in the Mayan Popol Vuh). In that, he killed one of the hero-twins (or maybe it was someone else, I forget) by swooping down and slicing off their head.

I'll have to check into those other things. I always mess up on the details like that. Plus, creating the big demon lords and such is kinda new on me.

Remove ads