• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cambion, Griffon, Lycanthrope, Satyr, and Vampire

Arius_de_Galdri

First Post
My girlfriend (and co-DM) Febrien and I created these player stats for some of our favorite creatures from the "Monster Manual." I've even created 2 Heroic Tier Feats, 1 Paragon Tier Feat, and 1 Epic Tier Feat for each race.

Check them out and let me know what you think. Also, feel free to use them in your own campaign if you want to!

AMdG

EDIT: I've updated the PDF with your suggestions. Please check it out and let me know what you think now!

EDIT: Again, an update with some minor tweaks. Honestly, I think this one should be it.

Attachments

• Custom Races and Racial Feats (Version 2.1).pdf
    344.6 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:

ArtofSymmetry

First Post
These are pretty cool, but a note on cambions. It says in the MM that cambions are violent and conjoin the worst of both parents. So it seems slightly unrealistic that they get +2 to charisma, considering how much they are hated by anything that isn't a demon. But then again charisma is your force of personality, not how much your liked.

I also suggest that you change the satyrs racial bonus of wisdom to intelligence or dexterity. Because satyrs (In mythology) rarely rely on things like common sense and forsight. They are usually more interested in chasing things like sprites and playing tricks on mortals.

Sorry I couldn't give you more in depth advice, I don't have time.

Fede

First Post
I think that they are overpowered. For example, flying in 4th edition is almost absent from heroic tier, and it starts appearing in paragon tier. Also, no race have darkvision. I'll list the races and say what i think is too powerful.

Cambion: flight(see above); soul mantle lasting until the end of the encounter, especially with the improved soul mantle (+2 to hit every encounter, all the encounter is really very very powerful).Flaming wing seems a bit overpowered (also, it says that it increase damage at 11th level, but it's a paragon tier feat).

Griffon: flight; rending talons is better than a superior weapon proficiency ( compare to the bastard sword, +3 prof, 1d10 damage); the racial power doesn't list how long it lasts (i'm assuming until the end of the encounter, correct me if i'm wrong) and it's very powerful: +2 to hit and extra move action, especially combined with the racial feats

Lycanthrope: this one is fine, regeneration maybe is too much, but i'm not sure. The feat are a bit on the strong side, but scaled back a bit they should be fine.

Satyr: rakish combat advantage is huge; the encounter power is very powerful, especially the "dazed until end of next turn" song; nimble footed is the equivalent of the goblin's racial power, but as a feat; king of liars is huge because of the +4d6 damage part

Vampire: darkvision; by night it gets +2 to hit, +2 to defenses and regeneration 5, that's about 4 levels worth of bonuses. Also blood drain is very powerful, because it makes the enemy weakened and lets you expend an healing surge. Also the feats are very powerful.

It may seem that i'm totally bashing your creation. Well, i like what you have done, they are very flavorful. BUT, they are very overpowered in comparison with the standard races. However, if you and your players are fine with this, there should be no problem.

Arius_de_Galdri

First Post
Yeah, these races fit well with the campaign that we're running right now, but I figured other people might like to see them. They're still something of a work in progress, and definitely something that I think would have to be used with special permission from the DM. I'll update the PDF eventually, and I'll keep your thoughts in mind.

Thanks again!

ArtofSymmetry

First Post
I agree with Fede. These have excellent flavor after I look at them, but they are sort of overpowered. What you could do for flight substitution, is A) Make them encounter powers, or make a paragon tier feat that allows them to use their wings effectively. Regeneration is massively op early game. Really, my Wizard had 20-36 for the first 5 levels. Regeneration would be about equal to a healing surge. Cut the regen, or at least reduce it. Sorry running out of time again.

Arius_de_Galdri

First Post
I really appreciate all of the input, guys! This has been very helpful. As I said, I'm working on updating them throughout the day today, and I'll be sure to post the updated PDF asap.

AMdG

Arius_de_Galdri

First Post
Alright, I've edited the first post, adding the new Version 2 PDF.

I've integrated most of the changes you guys recommended, but a couple I've kept, and I'll explain why.

I kept Charisma as one of the ability bonuses for cambions because, as ArtofSymmetry said, it measures force of personality, not necessarily how well they're liked.

I kept the griffon's proficiency with their talons a +3. Fede, you said that it seemed a bit much, equal to a superior weapon. But logically, a griffon has had those talons their entire life, much longer than a typical person would have to get good with any weapon. Keeping that in mind, I don't consider +3 to be too much, really. I also kept the damage at a d12 because griffons are large creatures and strong. Also, their racial power only lasts until they are no longer bloodied, sorry for not clarifying.

I kept "Nimble-Footed" as a feat for the satyrs; does it really matter if it was a racial power for the goblins? It just seemed to make sense to me that they would have an ability like this.

Vampires have retained darkvision; again, it just makes sense seeing as how they would spend most of their time fighting at night to have their vision so sharp in darkness. Also, I'm not sure if you noticed by cambions have dark vision too, so I didn't see it as a big deal if vampires had it. I took most of this stuff right out of the "Monster Manual" entries for each race, and as they had darkvision as monsters, I couldn't see why they wouldn't have it as players.

Please check out the changes to the PDF, though, and let me know if you think they're a little more balanced than before.

AMdG

Remove ads