• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Campaign being throw out after a year

cmad1977

Hero
It was really unfortunate because the player who killed the kid said he wanted to reroll and "wanted to commit suicide" to basically kill off his character. Instead, he just wreaked havoc on the entire storyline during that session, which made it very awkward for all of us trying to react.

The guy wanted to change characters so he went nuts to do so? Or did he do that after the whole murder thing?

If it's the first, why didn't are the DM just let him Change up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aslak24

First Post
The guy wanted to change characters so he went nuts to do so? Or did he do that after the whole murder thing?

Yes, he went nuts to kill off his own character. He said he planned to try to actually fight our paladin to the death, but the DM did not allow it obviously

Aslak24

First Post
Sounds like a poisonous player. Boot.

I have definitely talked to the DM about it, but he's one of our friends and roommates. I don't think I will be able to enjoy any real campaign with such a toxic player in our group. Constantly on the phone, table talking, telling people what to do on their turns. I think this is pretty much the underlying issue with why the campaign came to a halt

cmad1977

Hero
I have definitely talked to the DM about it, but he's one of our friends and roommates. I don't think I will be able to enjoy any real campaign with such a toxic player in our group. Constantly on the phone, table talking, telling people what to do on their turns. I think this is pretty much the underlying issue with why the campaign came to a halt

Yup. Sounds like it. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corwin

Explorer
Your campaign lasted a year. Aside from the "unfortunate ending", hey, bright side is it lasted a year. I'd guess most campaigns don't last that long.

Aslak24

First Post
Your campaign lasted a year. Aside from the "unfortunate ending", hey, bright side is it lasted a year. I'd guess most campaigns don't last that long.

Really? That is surprising to me. I guess we tried to play every 2 weeks or so, but we're all the same school so it made it a bit easier

Cyrinishad

Explorer
Hello all,

This is my first post here on EN, so I would like to say hello! I am having a bit of an issue with my current party I am with. My buddies and I started a campaign about a year ago and have been through about 25 sessions. We started with only two members in the party, me and one friend who has never been introduced to RPG's. We have now added two other members to our party, making for a complete band of adventurers. Unfortunately, it seems that this entire campaign is getting throw out for some unfortunate circumstances that are as follows: One of the new characters came in as a paladin, a holy knight of Taurm. The player that started with me did something outlandish (read: murdered an innocent kid within a town), which gave him two options: be turned on by the paladin and the party as a whole, or repent and give his life to Taurm. Just after this, we were attacked by two mindflayers, one of which managed to actually suck out the brain of the newly holy druid. After hisbrain was sucked out and the mindflayers were defeated, we did a ritual, calling upon his new god to bring him back. Luckily, it worked but the DM brought him back with an intelligence of 1 (instead of a true resurrection). So one character is a braindead druid and the paladin simply doesn't like his character. Instead of doing anything about the situation, the DM simply turned away and started an entirely new campaign back at level 3. I am honestly not too interested in this new campaign and I felt much too connected to our original campaign to simply throw it all away. What should I do? Two players want this new campaign (two powergaming types) and me and the 4th party member want to continue the original campaign. Can anyone give me some advice? I have told the DM that I am not enjoying this and would like to go back, but it is hard to argue against the other two.

Thank you for your help!

I encountered these types of experiences before, while I was younger. As others have said, many campaigns don't last 25 sessions. That's a lot with the same character. That being said, I know plenty of people that have essentially just played the same character in different campaigns (even if they started over at level one, or had a different name, or whatever)...

Here are a few pieces of advice that don't involve kicking people out of the game:

1. If someone wants to make a new character, everyone should just say "Okay, make a new character"... No big deal. The other character stubs his toe and retires from adventuring. Just roll with it... In my campaigns I've even had instances where I encouraged players to rearrange their stats, or change their class, if they were discontent with some aspect of their character's functionality, and still keep playing as the same character.

2. If the people want to start a new campaign. Just start a new campaign... It's tough to get around the fact that people enjoy changing the scenery, but that's what you need to do sometimes to keep playing. Like I said before, if you really liked a character from a previous campaign, just re-make that character. The burden of the DM is that their doing the refereeing and trying to create a story, which is tough to do after 25 sessions (That's like 2 or 3 seasons of a TV show, and even the best TV shows get to a point where it'd probably be better if they started something new)...

3. If you have some great ideas for a campaign, maybe you should try being the DM for a campaign... Maybe the DM would like being a PC for a while. (I know I'd like to be a PC more often, since I tend to be the DM most of the time).

Ultimately, if you like the group you're gaming with, the best thing to do is to keep rolling the dice.:)

Remove ads