• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Campaign Chronology

Edgewood

First Post
I have been running my homebrew, Morvia since 1987 (way back in 1E days) and it has gone through all of the iterations of D&D except 4E. It even went under the ruleset of Warhammer FRP. It is now operating under the Pathfinder rules.

In that time I have amassed a huge amount of information about the land, the people, the nations, gods, history and cultures. To that end I'm tapped. I believe I have exhausted what I could write about. At least that's what I thought.

I have now set my sights on creating a chronology of sorts. Basically when my campaign world started I set it in the year 685 RM (Reckoning of Men) and as game play continued over the years I advanced the in game calendar as well. We are now in the year 717 RM.

What I'm thinking of doing is a sort of year in review. Basically a review of all of the major events in Morvia such as wars, royal births, political negotiations, natural catastrophes, major deaths, and special events that have happened.

As a player would you find that interesting? Would it add to my campaign or would it be a bore? Would it be just something that will cater to my own entertainment?

What do you think?

Chronology is my weak point. In my campaigns, players often ask how long ago some plot-related historical event happened, and I just make up a number on the spot "Umm, about 300 years ago, give or take."

Its a bit different in your case, because you have played through many years whilst running your campaign world, but I tend to see a chronological list of events as "cool things that happened to other people". I play D&D to have cool things happen to my character.

Having said that, if it would be fun for you to do, then go for it. My campaign world would probably benefit from a more detailed chronology, but instead I spend my time coming up with pointless minutiae that my players probably never even get to hear about. World building is a hobby - it doesn't have to pass any kind of objective test of whether or not it is an effiicent use of time.

fanboy2000

Adventurer
I think you should. Post the timeline on the web and send it out to all your players. I've found that kind of background information adds to the enjoyment of many players, even if it doesn't always show-up at the game table.

While you're at it, put a link to it in your sig, people may want to pilfer it.

john112364

First Post
I think it depends on the players. As a player, I love this kind of stuff. It really gives me a feel for the world. But, some players could care less. If you think your players would enjoy it (especially if some played in the older years) then go for it. If they wouldn't, then I would do a less detailed version for myself. I've found that this kind of history can really spark your creativity.

BTW: That sounds like an awesome game if it can last 23 years! Way to go.

Gilladian

Adventurer
My campaign world has existed, much like yours, since the mid 1980's.

It has undergone many changes and phases of existence. However, I have always kept a detailed timeline. I can't do things any other way. Every time I add a new module or a new kingdom or campaign area, it gets written into to the timeline.

I have no idea if any of my players have ever so much as looked at it, although I know they're aware it exists. It's for me. I love it, and I need it. It's here, on my wiki: Vishteer Campaign / Vishteer History

Obviously, I think you should create as much timeline as you want; go for it - you may be surprised how helpful it can be.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Well it will differ from player to player.

For myself: I love this sort of thing. It really helps with immersion. Also it can spring new plots and give ideas for character backgrounds. All up I'd say it's a great idea.

I'd say if your players are into roleplaying and investigation as opposed to a more kick in the door style they'd go for it. You know your players best though.

cheers.
(oh and maybe you can post a link here. Always someone on who'l want to read for fun and idea mining.)

S'mon

Legend
1. Any timeline given to the players should be PC centric. Ideally only include stuff their PCs could be aware of. Plot hooks are good!

2. Don't be too detailed, or you restrict the scope of future adventures. Leave plenty of space to retroactively add stuff that would make for good adventures.

3. Records of royal births, deaths, coronations etc within the established campaign area can be a good idea to maintain continuity over time. NB you generally want plenty of births so you're not short of princes and princesses when you need them later! :) It's a lot easier to maintain continuity while you remove a royal through death, than to retroactively add another one.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
I think a chronology would be quite neato, even if only as a project for you. Some players really get into that sort of thing, and others don't-- but that really shouldn't be the motivating factor for you. It sounds as if you would enjoy doing it as a project, so go for it.

Remove ads