• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Campaign Development] The Goblinoid Host

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I preface this post by saying that I have not yet decided on a ruleset for this campaign. Currently, the front runners are D&D 3.5 (duh), Savage Worlds, Grim Tales, and The Chronicles of Ramlar (in roughly that order). This thread is for plot/fluff development only. When I get set my sights on a specific system, I'll let you know ;)

The Basic Idea

Goblinoids get organized and seek to reclaim lands that they have been pushed out of by the other sentient races of the world. Sure, there are little pockets of goblinoids everywhere, though a tribe of Orcs here or there poses little real threat. That said, somebody has been organizing the goblinoids into a massive army for a while now. And they'll be ready to strike soon.

The Kingdoms of the South have been in turmoil for quite some time, warring with one another in petty battles over territory and ancestral rights. The other sentient races of the world are largely divided, none of them caring much for the others. This will be a pretty important plot point later, as it serves as a motivation for the BBEG who is playing the goblinoid nations of the North for his own purposes. Spoiler:

A cabal of Southern rulers have instigated the coming war in hopes of unifying their peoples and kingdoms to fight a common threat, hence returning to the 'Golden Age' of past history. Naturally, sacrifices had to be made, though the situation was supposed to be containable. Also, naturally, thing will get out of hand.

The Beginning

I want to start by using the classic Barnacus: City in Peril module from Dragon Magazine, albeit with some heavy alteration.

First, rather than setting the action in Barnacus, I want to drop it into Dweredell (a Dream Machine Productions city supplement). The city in question is an isolated outpost city far removed from the civilized world.

Second, I want to change up the basic plot by making goblins the primary baddies, with a human wizard (per B:CiP) organizing them locally.

Third, rather than simply seeking to loot the city treasury, they're probing the city for weaknesses in preparation for the coming goblinoid attack. Specifically, all of those tunnels will allow the goblinoid host easy access to the city.

Other than that, the adventure will proceed as written.

The Attack

After finishing up the first adventure, the PCs will be in Dweredell when the advance legion of the goblinoid army attacks, using the tunnels in the previous adventure to great tactical advantage. This is basically a gauntlet run for the PCs. Defeating the attacking army isn't an option at 1st Level, after all. Players will be aware of this (I hope).

In this adventure, the PCs will be charged with carrying news of the attack to the Southern Lands, using the tunnel network to escape the city. There will, of course, be much close-quarters combat in the tunnels as the PCs encounter invading goblinoids who most assuredly do not want the PCs to escape the city intact.

The Journey South

I haven't given this much thought just yet, though travel is always a great place to insert side quests of a sort. Perhaps the path South is blocked and, in order to continue, the PCs must overcome an obstacle in the form of an adventure or two. I've been thinking that the old 'poisoned water supply' mystery might work well here. Basically. . .

The PCs happen upon a town or two that have been crippled by debilitating illness. This illness is the result of some goblinoid planning -- they have tainted the local (shared) water supply to remove resistance when the host marches South. The martial forces of both towns are too week to fight and the common folk are too weak to travel, thus preventing word of the army's existence from spreading.

This might also be a nice place to introduce a minor BBEG in the form of a mysterious cloaked stranger who visited both towns shortly before the illness struck. This BBEG would be a non-goblinoid of some sorttwho actually carried out the sabotage. His motive for doing so won't be revealed until much later (ditto his indentity).

Arrival in the South

The first contact with nobles in the South and the subsequent reporting of events at Dweredwell by the PCs will be met with much genuine alarm -- though not for the reasons that the PCs think. Spoiler:

The people whom the PCs report to will undoubtedly be part of the aforementioned conspiracy who view the PCs as a threat to their plan, lest the public learn of it and revolt.

The PCs will be discredited in a rather public manner at this point -- framed for something horrible, if you will. Enter the mysterious cloaked stranger mentioned above. What this "something horrible" will be, I have no idea. Your input here is welcome.

On the Run

The PCs are now branded as criminals, despite their innocence. Given the power wielded by their adversaries, this knowledge spreads quickly throughout the Southern Kingdoms. Forced into hiding/running, the PCs will have the opportunity to ally themselves with non-traditional heroes in the form of organizations commonly perceived as "criminal" (e.g, thieve's guilds, pirates, brigands, etc) -- provided that they prove their worth.

This can easily lead to a series of short 'retrieve X' or 'accomplish Y' tests set up by the various organizations that the PCs turn to for help. If the PCs perform admirably, they will genuinely be accepted by such organizations as brothers and sisters. Indeed, any such organizations that PCs gain entry into will later rally to their cause when the goblinoid host arrives enmasse to topple the Southern Kingdoms.

The First Battle of the War

When the goblinoid host arrives in the Southern Kingdoms proper, the PCs happen to be nearby. And something is horribly amiss. The combined forces of nearby kingdoms stand ready to put down the goblin uprising, though the host is stronger than they anticipated, employing creatures of frightening strength (again, your input is welcome here -- what unexpected additions to the host arrive in tow?). Spoiler:

The agent of the Southern Kingdoms in charge of the goblinoid host reveals himself to the present conspirators as the campaign's BBEG, albeit indirectly. He has decided that aiding his masters isn't good enough. Instead, he has decided that instigating a real war will allow him to found his own kingdom and seize control of the South. And why not? He's been poorly paid by the conspirators for all of his trouble.

Here, the mysterious hooded stranger will reveal himself to the PCs as being second in command of one of the Souther armies, explain his involvement, and seek to join their ranks in order to serve pennance for his complicity in the events up unto this point. Spoiler:

He will explain that the host was to push back the armies of the Southern Kingdoms this day, ensuring that the public viewed them as a threat. As is obvious by the carnage, however, the host has other plans -- they're literally slaughtering the opposing armies. He is badly wounded but can help the PCs to uncover the core of the conspiracy if they take him with them.

Searching for Answers

I'm pretty fuzzy on this leg of the campaign so far -- basically, the plan is that the PCs need to uncover the core of the conspiracy in the Southern Kingdoms in order to learn the identity of the BBEG who is controlling the goblinoid host. Like the above sections The Journey South and On the Run, this leg of the campaign will consist of various adventures for which the primary reward is information.

Ultimately, this leg of the campaign should end with a 'big reveal' wherein the BBEG's identity is made known (who should he be? Help here is appreciated!). In the meantime, the goblinoid host is striking into the heart of the Southern Kingdoms, threatening the Imperial City, the shared throne of sentient races in those lands (it is sometimes occupied by a Dwarf Lord, sometimes an Elven ruler, and sometimes a Human noble). This throne is the symbolic center of the South and, should it fall, so will the whole land.

Rallying the Troops

Here is where all of those connections made in On the Run come in handy -- the criminal elements of the Southern Kingdoms whom the PCs have befriended will martial their forces to join the PCs in preparation for a last valiant stand against the goblinoid host. The lowliest of the low are the South's last best chance for survival -- but they need to find Legendary Doohickey X to ensure their victory. Which naturally leads to a quest for the PCs and any followers that they have in tow.

Any suggestions for a suitable quest-based adventure module and/or Legendary Doohickey are welcome here.

The Final Battle of the War

Here is where the PCs, their allies, and the Legendary Doohickey meet the goblinoid host head-on. I plan on using mass combat rules to resolve the large portions of the battle here, with regular rules for combat being used to play out the actions of individual PCs in the thick of it. Ideally, the PCs will confront the BBEG, use the Legendary Doohickey, and blast the goblinoid host to hell. If a few of them die, their allies will likely still succeed, and the fallen will receive a hero's burial in the epilogue. If they all die, the goblinoid host will succeed in their mission and a new, dark, age will begin.

As a possible deviation, the BBEG may be betrayed by his own army here, as they have decided that having a non-goblinoid ruler doesn't suit them. In this instance, a new BBEG steps up to fill the void in the heat of battle, though he'll be somebody (or some thing) that has been planning for this opportunity. He won't be a pushover and he may have a nasty surprise or two up his sleeve. As always, input is welcome here.

The Epilogue

Depending upon how things go in the final battle, the PCs and their criminal cohorts are viewed as heroes. The conspiracy is revealed and most of those involved are rounded up and sentenced to death or imprisonment. Surviving PCs are promoted to prominent stations in government or military and their allies are given berth to trade legitimately (for thieves or pirates) or serve as Elite Guards (for assassins, mercenaries, and the like). Surviving conspirators can plan for future revenge.

Alternately, should the PCs fail, they aren't remembered at all. The heart of the Southern Kingdoms fall to the goblinoid host and large swaths of land fall under their domain, turning the setting into a considerably bleak place. Surviving PCs will have many years to plan an organized rebellion and try to unseat the Goblin King.

Okay, that's the big picture. What have you in the way of suggestions/details? :)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
P.S. If you have any suggestions on how to punch up this basic plot with some weirdness from your favorite settings and/or rule set, feel free to chime in. I'd hate to run another "too serious" campaign.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
In regard to the BBEG, I'm thinking that the rules for taint/corruption in Heroes of Horror might make a lot of sense (spending all of that time around evil humanoids, and all). Hmm. . . I see plenty of opportunities to put this to good use :D

Slapzilla

First Post
Lots to respond to here....

What exactly do you think your PCs will hope to accomplish? Meaning, what is the big Problem for the PCs to overcome? The Goblinoid Horde? You've got them one step ahead of it, and its more of a Threat than a Problem. Warning the South? Not very involving. Travel adventure, sure but not related to the horde. It seems you've got every plot point laid out for them in a large scale, far reaching campaign and bravo! to any DM willing to put in the energy, but what can the PCs do to unite the South in the face of the horde despite the criminal accusations?

Finding a motivation beyond PC survival from one hardship to another is the first concern of the DM. It isn't just a 'Why do the PCs care?' thing, or a 'What's in it for me?' thing either. What get the juices flowing? Running chases? Goblinoid scouts in the wild that they harass, harangue and hinder. Diplomacy? Goblinoid Illusionists disguised as Military Advisors setting up towns and militias for a big fall. Espionage? The poisoned well idea is a classic, but what about stealing cattle and crops? The local morale will drop and the occupiers will still be fed. Once you know what the PC motivator is, the 'adventure' will follow naturally.

My big question is this... what can the PCs do to unite the South and avoid the criminal branding? If during 'Arrival' and 'On The Run', you railroad them into a situation they have no control to avoid, this can build resentment and dis-interest. Handled well the shadowy stranger won't be a cliche either, but consider this, in a time of preparatory invasion the advance guard can take the place of the shadowy stranger, avoiding cliche and setting mood at the same time. You can also have an adventure or two preventing (or recovering) some of the cattle from being stolen.

I will always suggest that a DM increases player involvement in the plot, up to and including taking a joint storytelling approach. You come up with the story in secret but you let the players act the scenes out and if they come up with something that you didn't think of, go with it anyway. Its one thing to write up a long story and force the PCs along it, but if that is what you want, you don't need players, just a word processor to write your book.

Check out this for a more inclusive storytelling approach and see if it is a workable idea. If it is, see how it changes your story into a dynamic, living, flexible entity.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Slapzilla said:
What exactly do you think your PCs will hope to accomplish?

Hopefully, they'll uncover the conspiracy's inner workings and stop the horde from taking over the bastion of civilization by uniting several organizations under one banner to do what the ostensibly 'good' rulers won't do (or, by the end game, can't do).

Meaning, what is the big Problem for the PCs to overcome?

There isn't any one problem. I can't imagine that a campaign with one problem would be very fun. This being the case, the proposed campaign has a different problem for every leg of the story:

1. In The Beginning, the PCs must face and foil the advance spies of the goblinoid host, discover what they're up to, and prepare for it. The problem here is two-fold -- the spies and discovering their intentions.

2. In The Attack they aren't ahead of anything (or much ahead of anything). They must fight to repel the goblinoid host and, failing that, fight to escape it in an effort to warn others. The problem here is pretty straightforward -- a big-ass army of goblinoids.

3. In The Journy South, the problem is time. They must deliver their warnings to the towns and villages of the South before the goblinoid host arrives and destroys them. As I mention earlier, I need suggestions for obstacles here.

Etc, etc. . .

My big question is this... what can the PCs do to unite the South and avoid the criminal branding?

Well, they probably can't do much to avoid the criminal branding, lest they join forces with the evil-doers. Short of that, it isn't the interest of the evil-doers to let the PCs live comfortably. In a perfect world, rather than brand them criminals in an effor to discredit them, they'd murder (coup de'grace) them in their sleep. That doesn't seem very adventurous, though.

As previously mentioned, recovering the Ancient Artifact of Goodness will allow the PCs to both (A) cast doubt on claims of their criminal nature and (B) rally people to their cause. They can arguably do this without the artifact if they gain the cooperation of some powerful criminals or discredited lords (who will cooperate, as not being strung up by goblins is in their interest).

Handled well the shadowy stranger won't be a cliche either. . .

Honestly, I'm not too worries about that. From the basic character classes to the rote lists of spells, D&D is built on cliches. If I'm going to depart from cliches, I'll be taking a wild, flying, leap into systems that do the same. I play D&D specifically because it brings cliches to life in an entertaining manner. That's what it's built for, IMHO.

Check out this for a more inclusive storytelling approach and see if it is a workable idea. If it is, see how it changes your story into a dynamic, living, flexible entity.

Yeah, I like Ry's stuff but I'm not sold on TRAPs. Honestly, TRAPs seems to be no more inclusive (in terms of empowering players) than the way I have proposed running things. It seems more structured, yes. More full of inventive language, yes. But more inclusive? Sorry, I just don't see that at all (compared to, say, Ry's DeathFlag stuff which specifically gives players a form of mechanical control).

Last edited:

Slapzilla

First Post
I won't try to convince you of adventure stylings, the manner of cliche or plot vs. story.

What little freedom your players have is relegated to the method you've allowed them to get to the next step. Bad idea. Players need to feel like they are participating, not waiting for plot expositions so they can roll dice. It sounds like a fun read, but I'd find the lack of meaningful participation dull. If the plot requires my character to move in one direction and all story points to suicide if I don't take the necessary steps then you don't need me.

"Well, they probably can't do much to avoid the criminal branding, lest they join forces with the evil-doers. Short of that, it isn't the interest of the evil-doers to let the PCs live comfortably. In a perfect world, rather than brand them criminals in an effor to discredit them, they'd murder (coup de'grace) them in their sleep. That doesn't seem very adventurous, though.

As previously mentioned, recovering the Ancient Artifact of Goodness will allow the PCs to both (A) cast doubt on claims of their criminal nature and (B) rally people to their cause. They can arguably do this without the artifact if they gain the cooperation of some powerful criminals or discredited lords (who will cooperate, as not being strung up by goblins is in their interest)."

If they can't avoid the criminal branding and they get an Artifact to solve the problem, then little they do matters and why should they participate. Arguably without the Artifact or not is a false choice anyway.

Sorry I wont be able to be much help as we don't see eye to eye. Oh well. :)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Slapzilla said:
If they can't avoid the criminal branding and they get an Artifact to solve the problem, then little they do matters and why should they participate. Arguably without the Artifact or not is a false choice anyway.

I don't get you.

How many D&D adventures have centered on questing for artifacts over the years? Suddenly, because you don't like it it robs players of choice? And what about adventures wherein villains try to make life difficult for PCs? How many of those has D&D seen? But now villains should pull punches because you say so?

Is it so outrageous that secretly evil Lords and nobles should try to discredit those people trying to reveal their true nature? Why is having NPCs act realistically a no-no? Likewise, is it so foreign an idea that heroes must quest for a certain magic whatzit to unite a kingdom? Why is requiring a magical whatzit a no-no?

Likewise, there are plenty of opportunities for players to act independently of and/or alter the plot that I've laid out. This is why I don't like TRAPs. It's basically a fancy way of saying "If you don't do it this way, you're wrong and you suck!" :(

Now, typically, I abhorr any kind of stringent plot in an RPG -- but if you want to have any kind of longevity in a campaign, I've found that it's pretty much a necessity. Running a seat-of-your-pants campaign, I've often found, lacks the cohesion and consistency necessary for extended play. But, obviously, all of those folks writing adventure modules or campaigns professionally are wrong. . . right?

I can't think of a single wildly successful pre-published campaign that adheres to the TRAPs model without some wilful ignorance or reworking of history taking place. Age of Worms? Nope. Rappan Athuk? Nope. World's Largest Dungeon? Nope. Against the Giants? No. The list is hundreds of products long and spans all known editions of D&D.

Sorry I wont be able to be much help as we don't see eye to eye. Oh well. :)

It does seem that way, yes, though if I ever decide to quit making my own decisions about what I like and let other people make them for me, I'll get back to you ;)

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Note to Other Posters: In case you, too, are thinking of telling me to scrap everything thus far planned and do it your way, that's neither helpful advice nor is it campaign development. If you have helpful advice to offer or wish to develop the already existant campaign framework, by all means, post. If you're merely dropping by to tell me how much better your way of doing things is, by all means, keep it to yourself.

Slapzilla

First Post
Didn't mean to offend, but your DMing style in this situation, sounded more like a book than a game and I just thought that the bit of writer's block you seemed to want a hand with could be broken by having some flexibility thrown in. I guess not.

I did not and would not criticize the path you've laid out for them, just that it looked like the path couldn't be veered from. Open up and the writers block will disappear.

Your hyperbole towards me is something else we don't see eye to eye on. I don't get the anger, either. We DMs are a sensitive bunch, but really, I think this was beyond the pale.

Remove ads