ZEITGEIST Campaign Journal of a Parallel World

On the magic item economy, Xanatars GtE offers some rules on what to expect over the course of campaign. However, it supposes that magic items are randomly rolled, as there are a lot of reference to the use of the hoard tables. Hence, most of the 100ish magic items a party is expected to get over the course of a 1-20 campaign is bound not to be optimized, and there is a big loss of time/money expected when selling magic item for another one. The requisition system allows players to get the tool of the job, so it's infinitely more powerful. I am not sure I will find the perfect system, but if the campaign goes to its intended conclusion I'd like the PC in the 4th tier to be able to pack some punch (to lessen the "grittier" feel of 5e, magic items can take them to the upper hand of the bounded accuracy...)

XGtE estimates that a group (of typical size...) will get 75 "minor items" and 25 "major" items over the course of the play, with minor items being mostly scrolls, potions and limited charges items, or utility/flavor items. I am considering allowing the requisition rules to acquire only minor items, as it makes sense for an established law enforcement office to have alchimists on its payroll. But major items, I'd be tempted to complicate things, at least to have the players work for it a little more and not imbalance the game too much (I can always reinforce the opposition but that's more work, and I expect I'll have to do that anyway). Or I could make major items a favour of the Fey (or the Obscurati... Given their goal, which I find fitting for a subgroup of the Aurum, I fully intend to have all the powerful figures of the Ob to be members of this philanthropic club, but not taking it over [and not be the Shadow Cabinet itself, just a splinter group) to increase their appeal and bargaining capacity. At this point, I am not sure what the player will think of the grand design (they could go all-Ob, but I think they will identify them as villain and refrain from that)... but right now, most of the group is loyal, with one player openly rooting for the old ways and another who finds himself duchess-compatible. This is definitely something I want to use, at least in a side adventure. Having the fey tempting characters with magic items would help their cause.

Sessions 3 and 4 of the dying skyseer went well, with the group still trying their unusual methodological detective work of jumping from one thread to another. Their main achievement so far was to get their hands on Recklinghausen and his documents, after interrogating his coworkers thoroughly and convincing Kindleton. Since she's a bad liar, they followed the Professor extremely closely (the caster-heavy party is fond of using the Invisibility, which in 3.5 it was like 1 round by level IIRC, so it was of limited use in an investigation game, in 5e it's Concentration up to one hour, still low level (so can be recast) and can be metamagicked to last even longer...), noticed her meeting with the messenger and were ready to arrest her. So I had the Kell guild goons try to kidnap her just in time for the party to foil their attempt and earn her trust. After the Nettles Church episode, they had a thorough investigation of the ledgers and are now convinced McBannin is up to no good even before meeting him. Stover Delft stepped in to say he won't arrest a rising and influential politician with little proof as the ledgers could be a fabrication and unearthing the business transactions through an official inquiry would take weeks. And yes, a bard-improved use of the requisition system allowed them to expedite the requisition of highly experienced accountants to get the information they needed as soon as humanly possible.

The group is taking their "law enforcement officer" role extremely seriously, despite some hints that their organisation isn't a parangon of virtue (I tried to convey the message when they were interacting with their coworker at the headquarters). I did that because when preparing the adventure, I thought several interactions (with Cippiano, with Nisala's accomplices...) would be more interesting to play if the party was morally split between making deals and respecting the Law. So far, the behaviour of my group would shame a Paladin...

Despite wanting to blow up the Estuarial Reformatory (in order to make them even consider making a deal, I made the reformatory even bleaker), half of the party flat-out refused to make any deal to improve their detention conditions. After much debate, they accepted to transfer them and used their influence to send them to a high security prison in order to make sure their don't escape. They are now on their route to stop the wand smugglers, and I am pretty sure they will arrest Cippiano if he even tries to suggest an arrangement.

I will have to go off-script with the whole dying skyseer episode, because, from their decisions and discussions so far, they consider Gale to be their BBEG and I fear they would simply arrest Sechim and extract information on how to contact Gale instead of making a deal with someone they perceive as in league with the BBEG. I'll have to be prepared for that, at least. Especially if it involves using their official status to grant a priviledge to get in a restricted area (if it's restricted by the Law, it's obviously for good reason!). They don't have yet had the time to act on the information Heward gave them, but they will probably as soon as they stop the wand smugglers (we ended the session with them going to the wharf). I know they could totally skip the Cauldron Hill episode, but severing both Gale and the Skyseer thread would be much. Not that I couldn't roll with it if need be, but they'd need a way to get information on the conspiracy...

The players are totally digging the campaign so far, and I wouldn't want to spoil their fun by having Stover Delft step in with explicit instructions on how to handle the next step, of course. (They could accept railroad since they are in a hierarchical organization, but as adventure 4 is taking place on an actual railroad, I am reluctant on any move reducing player's agency until then...)

I would just like to point out the sheer zaniness of replacing Danor with Zilargo. Does this mean that Han, Lya, Luc, and friends are all pudgy manlets? Is Aodhan/Boranel marrying a gnome? What becomes of Tinker Oddcog?

Remove ads