• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Campaign map finally come together - feedback?

dvvega

Explorer
Thanks for the info on how you created the map.

With the mountains did you create a special brush for that? Or use someone elses? If so where was the brush from?

D

psyekl

First Post
But it isn't hand drawn!

Very, very impressive nonetheless! Consider it officially on my list of excellent examples of computer-generated fantasy artwork (of which I think there is very little). I'm putting this in the cartography file of my "favorites" folder to show to whomever I need to prove that great fantasy maps can be computer generated, it just takes patience (and talent, of course)!

sunbeam60

First Post
Bobitron said:
Great work, sunbeam60. I would love to see it at full size. Let me know if you would be willing to email it to me.
It seems I did not express myself well enough in my initial post: When I was talking about "size", I was talking about the size of the file (kilobytes, megabytes), not the resolution. The link I have given is to the full resolution map, so it's as big as it's ever going to get until I decide to redo it some day in the year 2020. Sorry for the confusion :)

I'd be more than happy to link to a PNG version of the map, though, to get rid of compression artificats. I will do this when I get back from work.

The mountain look was inspired by the Erathon map I described earlier, but was pixel pushed myself. Experience with doing low-rez web icons helped me here.

PSP does have the option of creating custom brushes, but I found it easier to just have another image loaded with clumps of mountain premade. That way, I could just copy whatever size clump I needed.

Thanks for the praise, again.

Bjorn

GlassJaw

Hero
Here's a few city maps for the setting:

Hmm, I really like your overland map but I don't like the city style. They are too busy and it's tough to tell what without flipping back to the key all the time.

sunbeam60

First Post
GlassJaw said:
Hmm, I really like your overland map but I don't like the city style. They are too busy and it's tough to tell what without flipping back to the key all the time.

Are you thinking in terms of colour, or would you have preferred actual buildings as opposed to this more iconic representation?

GlassJaw

Hero
Are you thinking in terms of colour, or would you have preferred actual buildings as opposed to this more iconic representation?

Both actually. It's not a question of your skill because your overland map is awesome, just a style preference. I like maps that show actual buildings and streets. I also find the color a little distraction. I would actually prefer B&W.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads