• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Campaign NPC Level How high

EyeontheMountain

First Post
This came to me while reading anotehr thread about superman and Batman.

Now, in one of my PBEMs, I have effectively limited the level NPCs can be expected to be. Now most people are limited to level five, wheather Mage, commoner, or such. This is about 98% of the population.

Leader types have a hard cap of about tenth level. This is about 1.99% of the population.

And then there are a few big baddies who are unlimited. (I think the campaign has three, and one of them died a while back.

This has lot of far reaching effects in the gmae. 1st to 3rd level spells, potions, wands, misc magic items and such are readily available. Lots of low casters out there, and magic items are a good way to make serious money.

4th and 5th level magic is a lot rarer, though it is possible to find someone to make you something of this level like a +3 sword. Most of these people are quite famous.

But 6th level and above spells and magic items are practically unknown. Mostly being made by ancient dragons or other monsters with scary spellcasting abilities. (Especially scary in this world)

Now the characters are not so limited and have grown from 3rd to 12th elvel in the game so far. And they are starting to feel the superstar status they now have. People goggle atthe spells and such they are capable of using. One player, a cleric recently found out that no one in his church has been able to cast RAise Dead for overa hundred years.

When the same character made a wand of the tenth casting level, eyes likewise widened.

Does anyone do something like this in their games?

I was intending to make this a poll, but I don't think I will now. No need.

S'mon

Legend
I do something pretty similar. Normal people are capped at 5th, and that includes most wizards, fighters etc. Exceptional types can get to around 9th, with very few above that.

Remove ads