• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Campaign optimization via E6 and variants

Thaedrus

First Post
Some men optimize single characters. Real men optimize entire worlds.

Inspired by this thread. http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=200754

After viewing this thread, I have come to realize that the entire E6 premise was conceived in an effort to optimize a campaign for a specific experience in D&D. rycanada is a perfect genius, and has inspired me to many nights of ceiling staring while I contemplate his creation. E6 has become immensely popular on these boards, as shown by the rates of posting.

With a little thought, I realized that all of this was just a DMs effort to tweak the parameters of his game to create a narrower set of PCs, while preserving certain plot devices, and creating a specific gaming atmosphere. These are all great things, and E6 does this brilliantly. There are different end results possible though, with slightly different parameters.

The basic goal of E6 is to cap power at the mid range, but preserve character growth/development, and enhance versatility of characters. Play testing has shown that E6 delivers. The majority of feedback has been very positive, with a fair number of respondents wanting slightly higher power levels than they think E6 can deliver.

I see two easy fixes for this.

The first is most obvious. With a higher-level cap, characters get more powerful. This solution is easy, straightforward, with only a few subtle consequences. Higher caps mean later feat acquisition, and hence less versatile characters. Character specialization can be enhanced with PrCs though, and specialization can be as fun as versatility. With higher Caps, class roles are strengthened, but balance issues are allowed to develop. E6 skillfully enhanced versatility, maintained balance, but still preserved class roles. One point E6, zero points alternate E6.

The second is by playing E6 gestalt. With most forum threads on gestalt reaching a relative consensus that gestalt characters are effectively 1.3 times as powerful as equal level non-gestalt, gestalt E6 would be about equal to E9. This makes a character more powerful, but still restricts the upper spell levels that wreak havoc on a campaign’s “realism” and continuity. Characters get to that “sweet spot” quickly, are more versatile than standard, but character roles are blurred. Most characters will be a caster/melee build, and with such low level caps, many characters will be able to fit in more than two character classes without loss of upper end power (max spell level, BAB, initiator/manifestor/spellcaster level). Two points E6, zero points alternate E6.

I think that a third option to consider would be to raise the cap slightly, and play gestalt. This would create more class definition than gestalt alone, preserve more balance than higher cap D&D, restrict most of the upper level spells, and do more to inherently discourage the grab bag of all classes at once approach that low level gestalt can degenerate into. Two points E6, but playtesting will determine if a slightly more complex format can deliver the goods like E6.

The next few post will be reserved for example builds for E6, E9, Gestalt E6, Gestalt E8, all followed by a discussion of odd verses even level caps.

Thaedrus

First Post
E6 Statblocks

Posted By: Thaedrus
Build Name: Bear with a bee in his bonet
Race: Human
Build Stub: Barbarian1/Druid5
Feats:
1. Power Attack, Cleave
3. Extra Rage
6. Extra Wild Shape, Extra Rage x2, Extra Wild Shape x2, Expanded Casting x2, Ability Training x2 (Wis, Str), Ability Advancement x2 (Wis, Str), Large Wildshape(?), Weapon Focus, Caster Training, Natural Spell, Improved Animal Companion

Notable Class Abililies & Build Characteristics
With the Extra Wild Shape feats, Expanded Casting, Caster Training, and Large Wildshape feats, this druid is better than a standard Druid 6. He also gets Rage a few times a day, a better animal companion, can cast in animal form, and a better combat ability than a pure druid. A one level dip into barbarian doesn't hurt his casting at all, and greatly enhances his combat ability.

Last edited:

Thaedrus

First Post
Space for extras in a build.

The funny thing about level caps for power gamers is that low level verses high does not matter. A real optimizer can take advantage of any level. I am not talking about twist the rules til they break munchkinism. I am talking about making characters that fit a concept that are built to best take advantage of the resources of character building. From this standpoint, a level cap is just another rule for character building.

When creating a character under a level cap, odd verses even level caps and how much room one has to fill with non-core-character-concept stuff one has is most important.

As an example, lets propose I want to creat a melee/caster gish type character. An even level cap means that for non-sorcerors, you have one extra level free to choose another class besides your caster and still get the highest spell level possible. For a level cap of 6, a wizard 5/Fighter 1 still gets 3rd level spells. With the extra spell slot feats, having access to 3rd level spells is more important than how many you get from you classes alone. For an odd level cap, there is no room. Any classes outside your core caster class denies you the ability to cast the highest level of spell.

For the ardent psionic class this is not true. Ardents can learn powers of any level, as long as their manifestor level allows them to pay the power point requirrement. This means that with Practiced Manifestor, ardents have four extra levels free for classes that aren't ardent. For even caps that is five levels total. This means that the lower the cap, the more important practiced manifestor becomes.

The fighter has similar constraints with regard to fighter only feats. A cap at level 6 means that a fighter has two levels for other classes. Any more and he loses access to weapon specialization.

Martial adept classes are a little different. Similar to spellcasters, they do not want to lose access to their highest level manouvers. The difference is that their levels in other classes count as half a level for determining highest level of manouver learnable. For even level caps, that means that they have two free levels. Warblades are an interesting case because half of their warblade levels stack with their fighter levels for determining effective fighter level for fighter only feats. For example, a swordsage can take two levels in fighter and still get the highest level of manouver available. A fighter 2/ swordsage 4 gets 3rd level manouvers. A fighter 2/ warblade 4 gets 3rd level manouvers and has access to weapon specialization.

Combining casters, martial adepts, and non-casters becomes an exercise in balance. Lower level caps mean that classes become less defined. A dip of only a couple of levels doesn't hurt much, and can give access to abilities that are closer to the most powerful abilities of that class than a small dip when the level cap is higher. Raising the cap a little can provide more class definition. The level cap not only defines the upper level of power, but it also plants the center along the versatility/class-definition continuum.

Adding gestalt to the mix only potentiates this phenomenon. With two class levels to take at every character level, it is easier to conserve those higher level ablilties and still have spots open for other classes. The Ardent1/Swordsage4/Barbarian1//Fighter2/warblade4 can get 3rd level powers, weapon specialization, 3rd level swordsage manouvers, 3rd level warblade manouvers, and has rage. Quite an accomplished character. And with virtually unlimited feats after the level cap in E6 rules, many secondary abilities can be tacked on afterwards.

Odd level caps prevents a great deal of this. An odd level cap makes players decide if the want versatility or specilized power. It becomes much harder to create the I-have-all-the-classes characters because then the character would be watered down in their highest atainable abilities.

Chooseing a level cap is an important consideration for a DM. With the tendencies of power gamers, DMs may want to consider not only the absoulute power level the want in their game, but how much dipping into other classes they want their players to do. The level cap has consequences for both.

Last edited:

Ry

Explorer
Thanks for the kind words for E6! I'm curious to see how this line of thought develops. Do you have a chance to playtest option 3?

Thaedrus

First Post
No playtesting yet. I just moved and haven't had a chance to meet new players. Mostly just a mind exercise at this point. I usually spend free thinking time optimizing a character concept anyway, this way I have an excuse to optimize a range of characters. The sweet spot of level 6-10 has been about where I optimize to because I rarely have a campaign that goes beyond that. Coincidentally, feats are always the limiting factor.

Remove ads