D&D 5E Campaign Playtest - Rise of the Runelords

Alcamtar

Explorer
Thanks. I love both savage and D&D and at one point was considering running Runelords with it. So serious question, was just curious how it went for you.

Kryx

Explorer
Hey Connor,

I started a large task of converting all of RotRL (DCs, Treasure, Items, Monsters) to 5e.
I'm done with book 2. You can see my progress here: Rise of The Runelords (RotRL) Converted to D&D 5e (WIP)

I'd love any feedback that you have as you've run more of it (though not all in 5e). Specifically on some of the book 2 monsters.
I'd also like your permission to use your Hook Mountain monsters (I'll likely take them as is, maybe with a few modifications).

Last edited:

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Hey Connor,

I'd love any feedback that you have as you've run more of it (though not all in 5e). Specifically on some of the book 2 monsters.
I'd also like your permission to use your Hook Mountain monsters (I'll likely take them as is, maybe with a few modifications).

No worries on using anything I post here. That is why I do it ;)

I have a couple of conversions. The 4E one someone did was extensive. Far too extensive for me - it was like reading the adventure a second time. I prefer to just make a call on things like DCs. As you can see, i do convert the creatures (if there is not one near enough in the MM), but I am not a stickler for CR budgets etc.

I will have a look at your conversions, but most of my time is looking ahead. And I am not really the one to go through and check everything, as I don't take too much notice of 'balance'. Sorry. But hey, nice to see someone here and as I said, feel free to use anything I post. :)

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
[MENTION=6670944]Kryx[/MENTION]

Holy crap! That is awesome (and a lot of work). Congrats on that, I am sure people using the AP would appreciate what you have done. It looks great. (I am not going to go through everything and check balance etc, as I don't care). i wish I had this when I was doing the AP ;)

You might want to check out some of the stuff I posted earlier in the thread (I think) re the Haunts and little extra 'creepy text' to add to the haunted house. I broke each down into what a PC hears/sees etc.

Kryx

Explorer
Wow, all your docs included in the earlier posts are great! Especially the ones on the festival games, the raid, and the info doc on standpoint.

I'd love to include the festival one on my 5e conversion doc if you approve.

You included a doc with weather - did you keep up with that? If so I'd love to see it.

I didn't see anything on haunts. Maybe missed it?

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Haunted House

Okay, so this might throw out the order, but [MENTION=6670944]Kryx[/MENTION] is right, I had not posted the DM docs I made/used for the Foxglove manor game.

I have now attached them, but they were made for Savage Worlds. That is not really a problem - all you really need to do is come up with DCs for Perception and Insight.

(I am not sure where I got the "Aldern letter" pic. I just Googled it ;)).

Attachments

• Scary Events (Handouts) - SW-SIF.doc
    56 KB · Views: 166
  • Haunts (Handouts & Stats) - SW-SIF.doc
    295.5 KB · Views: 162
  • Letter - Hambley Farm Envy (Antonio) - Table.docx
    94.9 KB · Views: 220
  • Letter - Hambley Farm Lust - Nerdanye - Table.docx
    181.3 KB · Views: 159
  • Letter - Murder 1 Envy (Antonio) - Table.docx
    45.4 KB · Views: 221
  • Letter - Murder 1 Lust (Nerdanye) - Table.docx
    48.9 KB · Views: 159
  • Letter to Mortwell, Hask & Tabe - Table.docx
    71.3 KB · Views: 207
  • Aldern Letter.png
    Aldern Letter.png
    598.5 KB · Views: 2,108

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Using My Stuff

As very little of what I post is truly original, it feels odd to be asked whether people can use it.

[MENTION=6670944]Kryx[/MENTION]. You may definitely use anything i have posted here in your conversions. A small shout out at the start might be nice, but other than that go for it. As stated, a lot was inspired by other posts and things I have discovered on the net.

Most of it is info already there, just presented differently or added to.

Go ahead and inc anything you like in your conversions, b/c I know I will be downloading your conversions for keep sake anyway ;) Even if I don't get to use them. Though we only play this infrequently, so there is every chance you will actually overtake us (and that would be great :)).

RE weather, i am not sure what you mean. I did use the calendar doc as a DM-like journal. I just filled in weather on those.

I could post my 'filled in' DM calendar I have been keeping. But the blank template I included should suffice.

(Oh, and don't forget, most of our info is on the website linked earlier).

kuraban

Explorer
Hey Connor,

[MENTION=6670944]Kryx[/MENTION], as one of the players, I can tell you that the balance for these encounters felt pretty good overall. There were a couple of fights that seemed a little easy, but others that were 'nail-biting', to say the least. Not sure if that's how they were originally intended when the adventure was written, but it was very satisfying at the end.

Kryx

Explorer
I used all the swallowtail items, they were quite helpful. I also have a doc for all the rumors/buildings in Sandpoint. I think I got the basis for that elsewhere though..

My players just reached Thistletop so we're moving along. I've made some minor adjustments here and there along the way. I downgraded Tsuto from where I had him initially (so 2-3 attacks instead of 3-4) and lowered his atk by 1.

I haven't done any major work in a few weeks - I just moved.

Book 1 and 2 are done completely, did treasure for 3. I'll likely start converting book 3's monsters in a month or so after I prep book 2 on roll20. I'll probably split out the doc into 3 sections: book 1&2, 3&4, 5&6 as it's getting quite laggy with 1&2.

Remove ads