• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Campaign Reference Database...

digitaldark

First Post
I use DM's Familiar for my game management needs. I use pen&paper(actually wordpad) and a floor full of books as my character generator :) and my module creator (and then input them into DM's Familiar for in game use)....

Anywayz... What I'm looking for now is a database driven progam (somewhat like the databases in DM's Familiar) for storing Classes, Deities, etc... mainly campaign specific information so it can be easily be brought up for easy reference in game and such....

If I can't find anything like it I may just try writing one....but it would take a while (cause I don't have much free time outside of work, my band, and gaming sessions..)

Twin Rose

First Post
digitaldark said:
I use DM's Familiar for my game management needs. I use pen&paper(actually wordpad) and a floor full of books as my character generator :) and my module creator (and then input them into DM's Familiar for in game use)....

Anywayz... What I'm looking for now is a database driven progam (somewhat like the databases in DM's Familiar) for storing Classes, Deities, etc... mainly campaign specific information so it can be easily be brought up for easy reference in game and such....

If I can't find anything like it I may just try writing one....but it would take a while (cause I don't have much free time outside of work, my band, and gaming sessions..)

Campaign Suite has a full system of treeable notes, class editors, race editors etc all with complete exports that format your data for you, such as BAB tables and other cool aspects. There is a free trial available where you can see these features in action:

http://www.twinrose.net/downloads/CSTrial.exe

Or just read more at
http://www.twinrose.net

Luke

Explorer
RolePlayingMaster has its Campaign Encyclopaedia for storing any kind of infomation you like (wordprocessing, images, links, hierarchical management etc).

It also has specific editors for adding your own classes (standard or prestige), feats, skills, races, spells, items, magic, conditions, race types etc.

If you want, proper editors are available to actually put game mechanics rules behind all these things, so you can have everything fully calculated from them (eg successfully using the Heal skill stabilizes a dying creature).

All these things can belong to a "Source" (which you can create). This allows you to easily export/import your own sources for backups, or for sharing with others.

You can download examples of netbooks from the website for importing.

Regards,

mj36s

First Post
I've been meaning to de-lurk for awhile now, and since you've asked...

DA: The Role Player's Digital Assistant is my attempt at such a program, with the help of my wife, my group, and some other friends. It started out as a Campaign/ Character/ Combat manager for a homebrew system, grew to include d20, but has been scaled back for the core release.

The consistent interface allows you to input and access anything that you'd like, organized for use in play or preparation. DA includes Campaign, Character, Adventure Site, and Encounter Management, as well as a Reference Library, Dice Roller, and more.

We plan to revise the d20 Character Manager and release it as a plug-in (along with any other systems or tools that we can), but with the increasing quality of dedicated tools we might not have to. If you already use DM's Familiar (or RPM, Campaign Suite, DM Genie, or the others regularly discussed here), by simply adding a link in the DA Quick Launch list you can expand DA's utilities and quickly switch to the features of the other programs.

It won't do the math for you, but a DM must know the rules anyway. If you want a reference and organizational tool, DA might be just what you need. It's still in beta, but take a look and let me know what you think, feedback is always appreciated.

-MJ
MJHK Studios
www.mjhkstudios.com/DA/Frameset.htm

DMFTodd

DM's Familiar
mainly campaign specific information so it can be easily be brought up

Why not use the Rules database in DM's Familiar? That's just a simple place where you can store any text you like. The Rules database now has a "Category" so you can group stuff together and the Advanced Search will let you search on those categories.

digitaldark

First Post
DMFTodd said:

Why not use the Rules database in DM's Familiar? That's just a simple place where you can store any text you like. The Rules database now has a "Category" so you can group stuff together and the Advanced Search will let you search on those categories.

I have been...but I'd kinda like a larger viewing area for text with things like classes and such..plus I'd like to be able to have my entire homewbrew world at the touch of a button (towns, cities, organizations, etc...)

you know...I think i juts realized.. I've been disregarding the Codex tree....I could probably use that to store all the info I need.... :)

I already suggested it on the DMF yahoo group...but would it maybe be possible to have a feature that allows you to save/load multiple databases for DMF (like for multiple campaigns)

Last edited:

digitaldark

First Post
mj36s said:
I've been meaning to de-lurk for awhile now, and since you've asked...

DA: The Role Player's Digital Assistant is my attempt at such a program, with the help of my wife, my group, and some other friends. It started out as a Campaign/ Character/ Combat manager for a homebrew system, grew to include d20, but has been scaled back for the core release.

The consistent interface allows you to input and access anything that you'd like, organized for use in play or preparation. DA includes Campaign, Character, Adventure Site, and Encounter Management, as well as a Reference Library, Dice Roller, and more.

We plan to revise the d20 Character Manager and release it as a plug-in (along with any other systems or tools that we can), but with the increasing quality of dedicated tools we might not have to. If you already use DM's Familiar (or RPM, Campaign Suite, DM Genie, or the others regularly discussed here), by simply adding a link in the DA Quick Launch list you can expand DA's utilities and quickly switch to the features of the other programs.

It won't do the math for you, but a DM must know the rules anyway. If you want a reference and organizational tool, DA might be just what you need. It's still in beta, but take a look and let me know what you think, feedback is always appreciated.

-MJ
MJHK Studios
www.mjhkstudios.com/DA/Frameset.htm

This is really nice.....The Campaign Manager and Logbook are pretty much what I was looking for..

Klintus Fang

First Post
fwiw: I've been gradually converting all my static campaign info in an xml format and creating simple xsl stylesheets to display it in a browser.

It enables me to be pretty organized, and also lets me create really sweet formatting (in the xsl stylesheets) without any bs. and allows me to change the formatting without touching the raw data because none of the formatting is in the raw data.

Adding things just means adding nodes to the xml document in question.

It requires a little understanding of xml, but so far this technique is easier to use and far more flexible then anything else I have tried.

Remove ads