• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Campaign Settings III

Which one campaign setting would like to see supported?

• Greyhawk

Votes: 76 14.8%
  • Forgotten Realms

Votes: 67 13.0%
  • Eberron

Votes: 87 16.9%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 42 8.2%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 12 2.3%
  • Planescape

Votes: 77 15.0%
  • Known World/Mystara

Votes: 26 5.1%
  • Hollow World

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Council of Wyrms

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Jakandor

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Red Steel

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Birthright

Votes: 25 4.9%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Al-Qadim

Votes: 19 3.7%
  • Maztica

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • Kara-Tur

Votes: 9 1.8%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 12 2.3%
  • Taladas

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Blackmoor

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • None of the above

Votes: 18 3.5%

vulcan_idic

Explorer
I voted for the Forgotten Realms, though with that I include all of Toril (with Al-Qadim, Maztica, and Kara-Tur) not just Faerûn... I like to run, and play in, world spanning campaigns - I can just see a diplomatic type game where the character's goals are to visit all of the continents establish diplomatic ties with major powers on each one and to perhaps begin to establish a sort of Torilian UN - dealing with and trying to defuse cultural conflicts as ancient empires meet for the first time or try to sit down with historical enemies peacefully for the first time. I've long been fantasizing about seeing, once the main areas of Faerûn (Silver Marches, Unapproachable East, Shining South, etc.) have been covered by 3e supplements seeing some of the areas such as these other continents recieve a little fleshing out. I'm well aware that this is a pipe dream that nil or next to nil chances of happening, but, as evidenced by my interest in this hobby, I have an abiding interest in fantasy!

mkletch

First Post
First of all, I don't think any setting deserves anything. People buy what they want, and leave the rest on the shelf, as it were (even Amazon has shelves, you just don't see 'em).

As for my particular preference, I'm one of those long time players that left late in 2E, came back for 3E, and now I see that many of my concerns/desires have not really been addressed. I'm a gamer in conflict. All of the established worlds make certain assumptions, and I'm looking for things that none of them have. I voted for "None".

-Fletch!

dren

First Post
Planescape.

With it all of those other worlds can be combined in your planar travels. It could replace the planar handbook & manual of the planes and be so much more then both of those combined. So that regardless of your world or your setting, you can play under the umbrella banner of D&D: planescape.

glass

(he, him)
It was a toughy, but I voted Spelljammer. Partly because I was flicking through some of my old SJ stuff last night, and partly because I have this image in my head of how cool it could look lined up on my shelf... :D

Anyway, I nearly picked...

Dark Sun, but they'd do it with 3.5 'psionics'

Eberron, because it's new.

Forgotten Realms, because I'd like them to revive Al-Qadim, Kara-Tur and Maztica as part of the FR line.

glass.

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
i chose Greyhawk with the understanding that Gary and Rob would be doing it.

otherwise none of the above.

the current hacks don't know a good setting if it bit them on the arse.

glass

(he, him)
vulcan_idic said:
I've long been fantasizing about seeing, once the main areas of Faerûn (Silver Marches, Unapproachable East, Shining South, etc.) have been covered by 3e supplements seeing some of the areas such as these other continents recieve a little fleshing out. I'm well aware that this is a pipe dream that nil or next to nil chances of happening, but, as evidenced by my interest in this hobby, I have an abiding interest in fantasy!

I'd love to see that too.

It may be wishful thinking, but I don't think it is complete fantasy. The time could well come when they are out of ideas for Heartlands products. I doubt they would just let the FR line die...

glass.

Lord Foul

First Post
I voted Forgotten Realms.

I think the books (source and novels) are very well done. I have read everything since 1e.

Unlike Gez, I like the fact that these long-lost civilizations are comming back. Thier cities crumbled, they hid, and are now trying to claim what was once theirs. It could make form interesting gaming. Their back with enough force to stir things up, but not enough to take over (yet).

Pants said:
I voted Eberron for one main reason:
1) It's new. It doesn't have an established meta-plot yet and it doesn't have reams of information from old editions attached to it. There's no chance that it'll piss off old players who are unhappy with the 'new' direction it's going in and won't hear stupid posts on the internet about how 'eberrron is geting dumb3d down becuz of X and X woct is st00pid' posts.
Plus, every area detailed doesn't feel like the 'been there done that' of other, old CS. It's NEW, the history is new, everything is new.

Runners up include:
Forgotten Realms
Planescape
Dark Sun

(in that order)
I pretty much completely agree. Except that my order for runners up is Planescape, Dark Sun and then Forgotten Realms in that order.

Sir Elton

First Post
I have to go with Birthright. OF all the settings TSR has ever designed, Rich Baker's Birthright is the strongest, really. Not quite medieval, but it had a reality about it. In other words, it could have been a real place.

Eberron has some possbilities with Strength (keep working on it Hellcow), and Dragonlance already has a publisher.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads