• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Campaign Settings We Hate

What do you hate?

• Gray Hawk: Hate it!

Votes: 23 8.3%
  • Gray Hawk: Love/Hate it!

Votes: 29 10.4%
  • Gray Hawk: Don't Know or Don't Care

Votes: 94 33.8%
  • Gray Hawk: Love it!

Votes: 111 39.9%
  • Forgotten Realms: Hate it!

Votes: 70 25.2%
  • Forgotten Realms: Love/Hate it!

Votes: 97 34.9%
  • Forgotten Realms: Don't Know or Don't Care

Votes: 37 13.3%
  • Forgotten Realms: Love it!

Votes: 55 19.8%
  • Dragonlance: Hate it!

Votes: 82 29.5%
  • Dragonlance: Love/Hate it!

Votes: 76 27.3%
  • Dragonlance: Don't Know or Don't Care

Votes: 59 21.2%
  • Dragonlance: Love it!

Votes: 41 14.7%
  • Planescape: Hate it!

Votes: 50 18.0%
  • Planescape: Love/Hate it!

Votes: 37 13.3%
  • Planescape: Don't Know or Don't Care

Votes: 63 22.7%
  • Planescape: Love it!

Votes: 108 38.8%
  • Dark Sun: Hate it!

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • Dark Sun: Love/Hate it!

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • Dark Sun: Don't Know or Don't Care

Votes: 67 24.1%
  • Dark Sun: Love it!

Votes: 136 48.9%
  • Spelljammer: Hate it!

Votes: 76 27.3%
  • Spelljammer: Love/Hate it!

Votes: 52 18.7%
  • Spelljammer: Don't Know or Don't Care

Votes: 69 24.8%
  • Spelljammer: Love it!

Votes: 65 23.4%
  • Ravenloft: Hate it!

Votes: 56 20.1%
  • Ravenloft: Love/Hate it!

Votes: 59 21.2%
  • Ravenloft: Don't Know or Don't Care

Votes: 60 21.6%
  • Ravenloft: Love it!

Votes: 88 31.7%
  • Birthright: Hate it!

Votes: 28 10.1%
  • Birthright: Love/Hate it!

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • Birthright: Don't Know or Don't Care

Votes: 152 54.7%
  • Birthright: Love it!

Votes: 64 23.0%

Oryan77

Adventurer
I actually don't hate any setting. It's more about the actual campaign & how the DM runs it that would determine if I hate it or not. I haven't played in many games (I usually DM), so I've never hated any of the games I did play in. So I either don't care because I have never played in the setting, or I love it because I have played in it or am familiar with it.

I'm sure if the DM was good and the players were cool, I would like pretty much any setting that was being run.

I also wonder how many people don't like a setting simply because they played with a DM that didn't do a very good job using the setting.

MadLordOfMilk

First Post
I'm personally a huge fan of Eberron ;)

Honestly, I can't think of a setting I hate, or really even strongly dislike. Sci-Fi stuff in general does have a tendency toward excessive complexity in my experience, though.

Ainamacar

Adventurer
Eberron was one of the campaign settings that I did not like initially - primarily because I don't grok warforged. Eventually though our group played an Eberron game and I began to at least appreciate the campaign setting. Still not a big warforged fan, but Eberron has grown on me.
In the ridiculous campaign I co-run, people started understanding the warforged a lot better after seeing their stage production of "Vecna in Springtime." I may not speak for everyone, however. :)

I'm solidly love/hate with the Forgotten Realms. Planescape and Darksun are settings that, with few exceptions, I pretty much embrace. I like a lot about Eberron (including the warforged!), and draw inspiration from it frequently, but there are enough parts that rub me the wrong way that I'm not sure I would say I love it. I don't have much history with the others, although the little exposure I've had to Greyhawk mostly left me with a feeling of "meh."

malraux

First Post
I love Eberron, but unfortunately as a DM I don't have a good story to tell there. I really wish I did, or that someone was making AP for it.

Planescape I love to read about; its Byzantine complexity has a very satisfying just-so aspect to it for me. That said, I have no desire to run a campaign there.

Beyond that, I'm either ambivalent or ignorant of the rest. I am however, really really pumped about my PoL/spelljammer campaign inspired by Mouseferatu. I think I actually have something awesome and worth doing.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I thought it was generally accepted that everyone hates Eberron. ;)

Edit: For the record, the only setting that I never really liked was Spelljammer. Although, I do like Giffs - go figure.
Actually, I Love Eberron.

But I Hate this poll. :p

The Auld Grump, extremes aren't tongue in cheek, they are just inaccurate. As is, Birthright (Love) was the only one worth wasting a vote on. :(

Masquerade

First Post
This was surprisingly easy. I voted "love" for Spelljammer, Planescape, and Dark Sun and "hate" for the others. If a setting doesn't have a unique style or some easy-to-grasp hook with which I can connect right away, I have a hard time getting into it.

So, yeah, another Eberron fan.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
The campaign setting I like the most is Mystara, and the one I like the least is Oriental Adventures. I guess everything else would be a big giant shade of gray in the middle.

But in the spirit of the OP's intent, I voted whimsically based on my knee-jerk reaction at this particular moment. ;)

Remove ads