• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Campaign starting a 0-level?

WinnipegDragon

First Post
Here's a curious question...

Has anyone here started a campaign with 0-level characters? Basically, no XP earned until you earn you 1st class level by roleplaying.

I'd imagine the characters would still roll attributes, but would have 4hp (+CON), no feats, no skills, no armour or weapon proficiencies, and base saves of zero across the board. Obviously there would be little to no combat until the class levels were awarded, but it would certainly help players get in touch with their new characters and each other's characters when the entirety of the first one or two game sessions is about regular folk in regular situations. Of course, the regular situation will rapidly turn into one requiring heroes to step forth.

Part of the reasoning behind this is that our group is adding a new player, and this should be a good way to get her into her character before getting her into the rules. Also, the experienced players should find it easier to tone down the meta-game thinking while playing commoners and make it easier on the new girl.

Has anyone tried this? Any potential pitfalls I am not seeing?

EricNoah

Adventurer
There was actually an AD&D module that did this very thing. I want to say ... N4, Treasure Hunt? It was a pretty nifty adventure if I recall.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Goodman Games just put out a limited run module like this, using the apprentice rules from the DMG. Since it was a limited print run, it's probably only available at eBay at this poiint (you can't have mine), but it's pretty nifty.

smootrk

First Post
I tried this in a 2ed setting. Not very effective, as the players played as if they had already chosen their role... and this hampered the ones who wanted fighter types the most because they were virtually as weak as mages (except for ability adjustments).

I reconsidered after that episode and just made first level characters from then on, as the players already know what kind of player they want as they are rolling them up. A required good background story suffices for us now.

Crothian

First Post
the first edition Grehawk hardback had great zero level roles. The characters could try any ability of any class and have a chance to actual,ly do it. It was a lot of fun, I'd love to see someone do that for d20.

Simplicity

Explorer
Crothian said:
the first edition Grehawk hardback had great zero level roles. The characters could try any ability of any class and have a chance to actual,ly do it. It was a lot of fun, I'd love to see someone do that for d20.

The Greyhawk hardback was awesome. You could build a custom class, essentially by earning Advancement points. But then back then all classes were easily balanced by adjusting their XP advancement rate.

I would recommend using the multiclassing 0-level rules with only one class...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I see a few basic pitfalls:

1) I don't know about you, but I already catch enough flack for starting characters at level 1. A great number of players find that characters at very low level don't have enough potential to do anything interesting as it is. make them even less potent, and you end up with characters for whom it is difficult to create interesting challenges without killing them.

2) I don't know of any reasonable way to play the advancement from plain commoner to full fledged member of a class. Either they spend an interminable time focusing on things at which they are ineffective, or they make a huge jump with little effort. How many combats is a character in before you say he now gets a d10 and a couple of combat feats? How many times do they try to cast a spell before they get full spellcasting ability and ranks in Knowledge (Arcana)? And how do you know the character is a wizard, or a sorcerer, or a bard?

3) What do you do if the events you run them through don't give them the opportunity to become what the player wants? F'rex: A zero level character should be such an abysmal spellcaster that there's no call for them to attempt it under stress. It is likely to always be more effective to pick up a rock and hit the target over the head, and whatnot. Then, everybody ends up as 1st level fighters and rogues...

Storminator

First Post
I have a dream of a campaign that starts with 1st level commoners, then you take another NPC class that "points" towards the first PC class you want to take (want rogue? take expert. Want fighter? take warrior...) . At 3rd level you get to take the PC class and start your career as an adventurer.

I'd start the first adventure with Treasure Hunt.

Of course, the people that want to play in that campaign are few and far between, as Umbran said in point 1.

PS

smootrk

First Post
I agree. The players who wanted fighters - wanted to fight, but were not effective.
The players who wanted mages - wanted to cast spells, but failed at even 0 level spells at times.
The players who wanted rogues - couldn't find traps or if they did, could not disarm them well.

I just don't see the point in making life worse than it is for the first level character.

Remove ads