• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Campaign Urban PrC

Greatfrito

First Post
Street Brawler
====================================================
In the larger cities, or simply places with looser legal codes or more daring groups of individuals, there often arise competative street-fighting tournaments. Though their name can be misleading, for they often take place far from the wandering eyes of the local city guards or constables, these tournaments are always very similar. In them, fighters take turns squaring off one-on-one in a no-holds-barred challenge of brute strength. Each combatant forfeits all weapons and is forbidden to use any form of magic (though typically magic-users are not of the right build for street-fighting anyways), and they fight until one warrior is rendered unconcious. Most victors or reigning champions are simply the biggest and the strongest, though some times wit can win out.

The most powerful of these street-fighters often choose to hone their unarmed skills into powerful weapons, either for their own defence, their own prosperity, or simply to better hold their titles. The Street Brawler is akin to a monk in that he focusses much of his talents into bettering his martial skills at unarmed combat, but there the similarity stops. The Brawler's method of choice in combat is to pound an opponent into oblivion as quickly - and as deadly (though in most tournaments this is strongly prohibited) - as possible. They focus on unarmed combat, and harnessing the blood-lust that comes from wounding opponents only with their fists.

Most Street Brawlers are barbarians, though some fighters choose to forsake their weapons and journey down this path. Monks are almost never brawlers, and their own style does not mesh very well with that of the brawler. Stronger rogues sometimes take up the mantle of the Brawler, though they are much more likely to rely on agility and intelect in combat than brute strength. Clerics of deity's of Stregth are the only spellcasters who have ever fully ventured into the field of street-fighting.

Hit Die: d12

Requirements
----------------------------------------------------
To qualify to become a Street Brawler, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria.

-Race: Any with no natural weapons
-Alignment: Any nonlawful
-Base Attack Bonus: +6
-Skills: Intimidate 6 ranks
-Feats: Impoved Grapple, Improved Unarmed Strike, Power Attack
-Special: Rage ability
-Special: The Brawler must win a street-fighting tournament against a more experienced foe before he is initiated into the path by a current Street Brawler.

****Test-Based Prerequisites(See Unearthed Arcana):
-King of the Ring. You must win a large-scale street-fighting tournament which has at least 15 other contestants. Once crowned champion of the tournament, one of the more experienced fighters will offer to tutor you in the fine arts of unarmed combat. If you lose after asking to be initiated into the ranks of the street brawlers, you are beaten within an inch of your life, and left in an alley far from the location of the tournament to recover.****

Class Skill
The Street Brawler's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff(Cha), Climb(Str), Craft(Int), Intimidate(Cha), Jump(Str), Knowledge(local)(Int), Profession(Wis).

Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int Modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Street Brawler prestige class.

-Brawling(Ex): When fighting unarmed, you deal increased damage. Starting at first level you deal a larger amount of damage with unarmed attacks. Medium-sized creatures deal 1d6 lethal damage with their unarmed strikes, and small creatures deal 1d4. This bonus increases to 1d8 and 1d6 respectively at 4th level, and then to 2d6 and 1d8 at 8th level. You can freely decide between dealing lethal or nonlethal damage.

-Rage(Ex): A Street Brawler's class levels are added to his barbarian levels in order to determine the number of times per day he can rage.

-Unarmed Defense(Ex): The Street Brawler must learn to better defend himself, even when completely unarmed, as almost all street fights do not allow armor or shields of any kind. As a result, the Street Brawler gains a bonus to his armor class because of his skill at deflecting blows with his own hands and arms. At 2nd level he gains a +2 dodge bonus to armor class when he is unarmed and has both hands free. This bonus improves to +4 at 7th level. This bonus stacks with all other dodge bonuses. If flat-footed, or denied his dexterity bonus for some reason, the Street Brawler loses this dodge bonus.

-"Two-Fisted Strike"(Ex): The Street Brawler learns to make devestating attacks with both hands. The Street Brawler can choose to strike with both fists together in order to deal more damage. The Brawler can make one such strike each round, either as a single attack, or as a part of a full-attack. The Two-Fisted Strike deals damage as if it were a weapon one size larger than your normal unarmed damage, as per the chart below.

Unarmed Damage "Two-Fisted Strike"
---------------- ----------------------
1d4 1d6
1d6 1d8
1d8 2d6
2d6 3d6

In addition, this attack is treated as using two-hands, thus you add 1-1/2 times your strength bonus to damage with it, and you gain +2 points of damage for every -1 penalty to attack when using Power Attack. (Note: Small creatures deal slightly less damage, and increase their base damage with a Two-Fisted Strike as if they were increasing from a small one-handed weapon to a small two-handed weapon as per the weapon damage charts.)

-Devestating Blows(Ex): The Street Brawler learns to inflict much heavier wounds with body when he is able to hit a vital location. All unarmed attacks are treated as having a critical multiplier of x3 instead of the normal x2.

-"Crushing Grasp"(Ex): The Street Brawler learns to deal more damage when grappling a target. When making a grapple check to deal unarmed damage to an opponent, he gets an additional +2 bonus on the check, and deals damage as if using a "Two-Fisted Strike".

-"Stronghold"(Ex): The Street Brawler learns to better maintain his grapples. He gains a +4 bonus on opposed grapple checks to keep an opponent from escaping. This applies when making a check opposed by another grapple check, or by an Escape Artist skill check.

-Clobber(Ex): The Street Brawler learns to throw a single punch that can send an opponent sprawling with one hit. As a free action he may designate one unarmed attack as a clobbering attack. If the attack is sucessful, you deal damage as normal, but the target must make a fortitude save using the total damage dealt as the save DC. If he fails the save, the target is rendered unconcious for 1d4+Class Level Minutes. Creatures that are immune to critical hits are immune to this ability. The Brawler can use this ability 3 times per day, and each use counts as an attempt even if the target successfully saves against the effects.

Levels Special
---------- -----------
1 Brawling, Rage
2 Unarmed Defense +2
3 "Two-Fisted Strike"
4 Improved Brawling
5 Devestating Blows
6 "Crushing Grasp"
7 Unarmed Defense +4
8 Greater Brawling
9 "Stronghold"
10 Clobber

Base Attack Bonus: +1/level (as fighter)
Base Saves: Fort Good, Refl/Will Bad (as fighter)

Any suggestions would be well appreciated. I plan on introducing the PCs to one of these as soon as they finish their current adventure, and if so, this will be the first PrC that I've written that will actually see use in a game. *sniffle* kinda brings a tear to my eyes...

Anyway, general comments, any thoughts on power/usefulness, or other such stuff, are welcome (ie. Please please please!). Moreso than general stuff, I wanted to know if the Clobber ability can be made better/effective or just replaced with a more appropriate 10th level ability (which usually is the good one). I just couldn't think of anything too extravagant.

[Edit: Added missing uses per day for Clobber]

Last edited:

Cyberzombie

Explorer
Looks good, really. Nice to see an unarmed prestige class that *isn't* a monk. It would be a good campaign hook for including barbarians in a civilized culture.

Only a few minor comments: You don't have to mention dodge bonuses stacking; they always do. I think that 2d6 damage scales up to 2d8 damage, not 3d6.

Finally, I think Clobber should be a bit more limited. As it is, one could argue that you could try to Clobber on every punch, which would be a bit much. You should limit it to a number of uses per day, once per fight, make it a standard action (one punch only for that attack), or something along those lines. One thing that occured to me is that it could be a "finishing move" -- you can only Clobber on the last attack of a sequence (with the worst BAB bonus). The choice is up to you, but it does need to be clarified.

Otherwise, it seems like a pretty reasonable class.

Greatfrito

First Post
Yeah, Clobber should have a restriction of 3/day. I hadn't finished writing the ability up before posting, and I guess I missed adding that part in. I think allowing it on any attack should be okay.

Using the 3.5 weapon size vs. damage tables, a 2d6 weapon increases to 3d6. *shrugs* struck me as odd too, at first, but now I've learned to just accept that a.) it works out better than 2d8, and it's how the system has been changed to work. I would have put the full small damage progression too, but I kinda got really lazy. :D

Anyways, thanks for the help. The whole idea is mainly plot-driven for my campaign, but yes, it is an attempt to make an urban niche for the barbarian.

Thanks for the input. Any other suggestions from anybody?

Cyberzombie

Explorer
Yet another freakin' fiddly-arse change for 3.5. Yay. I wish they had stuck to big changes, not all the minor ones! But that's neither here nor there. :)

3pd on Clobber sounds fine. Enough to be useful, not enough to be overpowering. Cool by me. :)

CombatWombat51

First Post
Why wouldn't you use two-fisted strike every round, or was that your intent? Off the cuff, that ability seems a bit powerful, but I'm honestly not thinking too hard on it :)

Greatfrito

First Post
Honestly, I'm thinking about making it a standard action (and thus usable only once per turn and not as a part of a full-attack) simply as a means of making awesome-tastic power attacks. Think that would make it better?

Remove ads