• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Campaign World Preferences

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
I'm running a homebrew right now, but I probably won't do that again, since it takes so much time.

Of all the published campaign settings, Kalamar is my favorite. The maps are gorgeous, the history of the world is well thought out, and the pantheon is interesting to me. Reading through the campaign book, there were so many bits and pieces that really fired my imagination. I think they struck exactly the right balance between detail and vagueness. You want high magic? You could do that. You want low magic? You could do that too.

I also really like their modules. I wish they would write more of them!

Gaius

First Post
Well, ever since that fateful day I asked Nightfall to sell me on Scarred Lands, that has been my favorite setting. It's recaptured that fantasy feeling that I felt was becoming diluted in the Forgotten Realms.

Gaius

Garmorn

Explorer
You should also check out the reveiw section. There are mostly likey some good reviews there.

My favorite new setting is not pure D&D but D&D in space: Dragonstar.

FR has changed and improved to the point it is as good as GH and just as blanced.

Neo

Explorer
Forgotten Realms for me, mainly because I am most familiar with it, but there have been others that appeal in different ways such as

Cerilia (Birthright) for the mix of Kingdoms so close together and the whole Awnsheghlin and bloodline thing which was all very Highlander and cool,

Dragonlance for its pure romantic fantasy feel and tolkeinesque elves.

Dark Sun for its sheer originality though powering it down some would have made it a bit more appealing for me, but for those who like Psionics as opposed to magic it was excellent.

Greyhawk never really did it for me.but the Valley of the Mage part of it I always found really cool, and Ius is an excellent villain.

Karameikos of whatever it was called the World from the original Coloured D&D Boxes was pretty good and is very much your Generic Realms of Dungeons and Dragons world without all the complications that arise in other worlds.

Ravenloft is good, but if you want to use this you do not really need to "just" use it as it can be linked to any other campaign world.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Gaius said:
Well, ever since that fateful day I asked Nightfall to sell me on Scarred Lands, that has been my favorite setting. It's recaptured that fantasy feeling that I felt was becoming diluted in the Forgotten Realms.

Gaius

:) Yeah well I know how you feel my friend. I'm glad I was able to get your soul..erhm I mean give you a place to enjoy! Btw, just remember end of October, Termana Gazeeter! :)

crowquill

First Post
Of the published worlds I've used, Al-Qadim is far and away the best. It's nominally part of the Forgotten Realms, but you can easily junk that part. Too bad it's out of print....

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
crowquill said:
Of the published worlds I've used, Al-Qadim is far and away the best. It's nominally part of the Forgotten Realms, but you can easily junk that part. Too bad it's out of print....

You do know you can buy all the Al-Quadim stuff as an ESD, don't you? ;)

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Of all the published settings that my group uses, I prefer the Forgotten Realms. Everyone knows enough to run in it, there is enough stuff in it to run many campaigns before it gets stale, and the production values of the new FRCS are hard to beat.

I would like to run Planescape or Dark Sun, but unfortunately this requires the players to read up on the basics of the setting. And some of our players have Real Lives, and thus not the time or inclination to read up settings they are not sure they like yet... I can't say I blame them.

Of course, there is the homebrew I am developing, which you can find through the link in my sig. file. :D

EarthsShadow

First Post
I have personally been running FR for the last two years, and even though the SL are okay to me it didn't really appeal to me. I will be changing next year when Midnight comes out though. I think Midnight will be the next great fantasy setting.

Phowett

First Post
The first setting I took part in was Mystara and loved it, and then after a while I converted my own world into a D&D setting and began playing in it for a long time. I've retired my world recently and kept it to story purposes. I now play in the Forgotten Realms.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads