• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Campaigns) Making your Campaign Independent of Rules

Wik

First Post
So, about three months ago, I started work on a new campaign world. My goal was to have it ready for when we finished up the Savage Tide (I expect to be finished around May, actually!).

For the first little while, I was having a bit of trouble picking which rules to focus on from my vast 3.5 library. My campaign was focused around dragons ruling the land, so I knew I wanted to use Dragon Magic (with sorcerers using Dragonpacts acting as the proxy for their personal dragon lord).

But then... well, there's a lot of "related to dragons" material out there, and I was getting flummoxed by the options. Do I include half-dragons? How do Dragon Shamans fit into the game? Dragon Aspirants? And so on, and so forth.

And it wasn't just this campaign. For the past ten years or so (definately before 3e ever existed), whenever it was time to make a new campaign world, I would dig through my books and pick where I wanted the game to be centred. Either it was the time I grabbed three or four "Complete" books in the 2e days and said "my game will focus on this area", or the countless times I'd poke through alternate rules sources (such as Unearthed Arcana) and use them to make the basis of my flavour of the month.

In the end, it always seemed like rules trumped the setting. That's not to say that my worlds were vanilla in any way - they had histories, depth, and interesting locales, to be sure. It was just that they were defined by the rules I had selected before drawing that first map.

Then, something strange happened. 4e was announced.

I realized quickly that we would never play in this campaign world using the 3.5E rules (I'm one of those people who will switch to 4e, whether or not I have misgivings). But we would still be done STAP in May, and there'd still be a gap.

So the campaign still needs to get written.

I'm in a curious position right now, in that I'm writing a campaign for a rules system that does not technically exist yet. And I'm really enjoying the experience.

Rather than before, when I was tryign to find a way to fit druids, warmages, wu jen, and warlocks all into the same world (and let things make sense), I can just make broad references to rules I know will exist, and firmly say what can and cannot exist.

I'm focusing more and more on the actual setting, as opposed to rules elements of a setting, which is where I used to spend roughly 75% of my time. And the great thing about all of this is an agreement I reached with my players - once 4e is released, we are using only the core books in the game (and they may be modified to fit the world!), and then anything additional will be added on a case-by-case basis.

I guess the question here is this: have you ever tried to make a campaign world that was rules-neutral, or for a rules system that doesn't currently exist? Is anyone making a 4e campaign world right now, even though they know little about 4e itself?

Janx

Hero
generally, all my campaign worlds are rules neutral.

I pretty much assume "core rules" apply, and seldom incorporate any extra books, unless a player wants to play something from the book (then I make up something to explain how it fits).

Point of fact,in 2e, I had several pages of house rules. In 3e, we got none.

So, my campaign docs consist of explaining countries, religions, and where the core races come from (what regions, etc). At most, the names of races or classes will appear in such text. On the religion side, I might go back and assign domains for gods, but usually I only do that when I have a player who wants to play a cleric (don't get those a lot).

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
All my worlds are created as stories in my head with absolutely no reference to rules at all. Of course I also play using the 'rules are only guidelines model' (even the 'rules are for other people to argue over model')
Of course I might be influenced by things in the books but the rules are there to be hammered (ie Houseruled) in later not to direct my creative flow.

Anime Kidd

Explorer
I've started to do that as well, before I was spending much of my time on rules mechanics and what-not. Right now I am just trying to write up the fluff of the setting, so far I have gotten a lot more done this way. Hopefully I will actually get it done one day. :p

Ibram

First Post
Over time I've taken steps to ensure that my campaign setting is as rules independent as possible. However the campaign is very flavor dependent, so some rule sets are automatically discounted.

Yes. I find it easiest to make the maps and put in place the broad strokes of the setting. Specifics still need to wait until I have the rules in hand though because they do shape matters.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Wik said:
I'm in a curious position right now, in that I'm writing a campaign for a rules system that does not technically exist yet. And I'm really enjoying the experience.

Rather than before, when I was tryign to find a way to fit druids, warmages, wu jen, and warlocks all into the same world (and let things make sense), I can just make broad references to rules I know will exist, and firmly say what can and cannot exist.

I'm focusing more and more on the actual setting, as opposed to rules elements of a setting, which is where I used to spend roughly 75% of my time. And the great thing about all of this is an agreement I reached with my players - once 4e is released, we are using only the core books in the game (and they may be modified to fit the world!), and then anything additional will be added on a case-by-case basis.

You've cracked the code.

My campaing setting has gone throw various editions (and changes within editions), and I am revising...but I was going to do that anyways. And the focus is definately on "fluff", not yet more crunch.

I think key things are to:

1) remember the basics (elves, fighters, wizards, kobolds): these do stay constant through editions

2) focus on what you like and make the flavor (where the DM has a lot of say) your own BUT

3) house rule/crunch up at your own risk

4) strike the right balance between flexible and firm. You don't have to open the door to whatever flood of options is coming your way, and should feel free to set ground rules. But you can make the occasional concension (assuming it is not game breaking)...maybe the PC is the only one of its kind.

Anime Kidd

Explorer
How much information and detail do you all go into? Do you go so far as giving a paragraph or two on a race's cuisine or fashion, etc? Or do you just give broad strokes on everything?

Remove ads