Campaigns that don't get the love they deserve

I'm referring to campaigns, not settings or systems. Published scenarios that are intended to cover extensive periods of PC development that dont get the recognition they deserve.

Definitely not the tedious, oft-released Death on the Reik/Power behind the throne.

Starting it off:
Dark Tower: probably the best of Judge's Guilds offerings, a solid back-story, multi-layers plot, and an emphasis on sub-plots and nuanced PCs rather than endless room-by-room clearing. Still stacks up well against current offerings.

City of Lies L5R: One of the few city adventures with a fully stat-ed out populace, decent maps, and sense of actual involvement.

Vaslov

Explorer
I rarely play campaigns as is. Tend to setup sandboxes and see where the players go. That said, I read several and borrow from them quite a bit. Typically use a rule system other than what they were written in due to personal preferences. Here are ones I've used a bunch of content from which I would say are well fleshed out.

War of the Burning Sky for D&D (Ran this with Accursed for Savage Worlds. Worked wonderfully.)
Empire of the Ghouls for D&D (Ran in SotDL and used that setting. My version cut quite a bit out and made the Ghouls potential allies for the PCs to fight against Jubleix, which isn't in the campaign at all.)
Age of Worms for D&D (Ran this in 3.5 D&D for the first half and Dresden RPG for the second half. Went way off script for the second half.)

I have read and enjoyed, but never used
Pirates of Drinax for Traveller.
The Dracula Dossier for Night's Black Agents
Eyes of the Stone Thief for 13th Age
Zeitgeist for D&D

Currently reading Halls of Arden Vul which is an OSR mega-dungeon. The author included several competing adventuring parties of all sorts for the party to potentially interact with, which is one of my favorite things to do in a game. Currently on sale at the Bundle of Holding. For the amount of content it's a steal even if I never run it as is.

MGibster

Legend
City of Lies L5R: One of the few city adventures with a fully stat-ed out populace, decent maps, and sense of actual involvement.
You are speaking my language, my friend! City of Lies wasn't simply a campaign it was more of setting that gave you some excellent ideas for a campaign as well as tons of little side events. I ran this for my group using L5R 3rd edition circa 2010, I used the opium wars from the book and it resulted in a little PVP action that ended up with one PC forced to dishonorable flee the city and take up a life of banditry. I cannot possibly say enough good things about this boxed set. It is simply the gold standard by which all other settings are measured by and most fall short. I could use this boxed set again for the same group and run a totally different set of adventures.

The Dracula Dossier for Night's Black Agents
Bleh! Bleh! Bleh! Again, another excellent campaign. I didn't run it, but I played in it. It is mind boggling big, complicated, and filled with tons of bloody goodness. As a player, the horror was there because we never knew just what the heck (sorry for the strong language) a vampire could actually do. Every single time we go close to fighting something we'd have second thoughts fearing this normal person could be a Renfield. Good times.

Remove ads