• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Campaing Setting Essential NPCs

Chaoszero

First Post
I am trying to make a list of the most important NPCs of my homebrew from a world builder's standpoint. IE - not the characters that the players have so far run into the most; but rather ones I would mention to new players or describe in a setting summary.

I got to thinking; What are the most important NPCs of any setting. Forgotten Realms and Eberron are the most familiar to me, but I'd accept help from lists of setting unknown to me as long as there is a short description of why they are essential.

Help me think of important characters to inspire me with common archtypes to establish in my own setting.

Every setting seems to have their "Merlin". Elminster, Gandalf, Fizban, etc. As well as a "Dark Lord/Knight". Also Kings and Rulers of nations would be important as well as leaders of major organizations, both good and evil.

Who do you think are the most important to the fabric of any setting?

JohnRL

Explorer
What sort of adventures do you want to run in your campaign? Get an idea of the NPCs the PCs might either meet directly or hear about. Also, what large-scale/historical events have happened or are going on? The NPCs connected to or driving these events will be of note as well. Kings and other rulers are always useful because it means that adventures that affect the entire realm will have someone to advise/order/reward the PCs, but you've mentioned them already. Lower level rulers (local mayors and barons) can be useful for lower level adventures.

I don't think there's a particular list of NPCs each setting should have. Heck, 1st Ed World of Greyhawk boxed set had only a brief list of rulers (name, race, class, level and alignment I think) and avatars of certain deities, while the 1st Ed Forgotten Realms (the Grey box) had a wide range of NPCs including merchants, rogues, adventurers, nobles, villains and even a beholder (I think), all of whom might be useful in adventures. Obviously Ed Greenwood had a different attitute towards NPCs than Gary Gygax when it comes to creating and presenting a campaign setting.

Remove ads