• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can a Celestial be Awakened?

As the title says, can a Cerlestial (Animal) be Awakened? I'm guessing not since beinga Celestial makes the creature a Magical Beast. And, if so, is this bipassible in any way?

Thanks for whoever can answer this rather foolish question

Dandu

First Post
No.

Awaken

You awaken a tree or animal to humanlike sentience. To succeed, you must make a Will save (DC 10 + the animal’s current HD, or the HD the tree will have once awakened).
The awakened animal or tree is friendly toward you. You have no special empathy or connection with a creature you awaken, although it serves you in specific tasks or endeavors if you communicate your desires to it.
An awakened tree has characteristics as if it were an animated object, except that it gains the plant type and its Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores are each 3d6. An awakened plant gains the ability to move its limbs, roots, vines, creepers, and so forth, and it has senses similar to a human’s.
An awakened animal gets 3d6 Intelligence, +1d3 Charisma, and +2 HD. Its type becomes magical beast (augmented animal). An awakened animal can’t serve as an animal companion, familiar, or special mount.
An awakened tree or animal can speak one language that you know, plus one additional language that you know per point of Intelligence bonus (if any).
XP Cost

250 XP.

Last edited:

Runestar

First Post
I do in fact recall some ability in eberron which lets you awaken magical beasts (or at least cast the awaken spell on magical beasts). And best of all, since the effect is instantaneous, you can keep recasting said spell on the creature to give it bonus HD and better wis. :lol:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Wouldn't an animal with the Celestial template be just an animal with the Celestial template?

Answer: nope, because I'm dumb.
d20 SRD said:
Animals or vermin with this [Celestial] template become magical beasts, but otherwise the creature type is unchanged. Size is unchanged. Celestial creatures encountered on the Material Plane have the extraplanar subtype.
However, there's no rule stating that you can't add the Celestial template to an Awakened animal...
d20 SRD said:
Creating A Celestial Creature

"Celestial" is an inherited template that can be added to any corporeal aberration, animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, plant, or vermin of good or neutral alignment (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

Last edited:

Runestar

First Post
Celestial is inherited, meaning you technically have to apply it to the base animal first, before you can awaken it.

There are however, spells which add the fiendish/celestial template to a creature, so you can get round this limitation readily. :)

I just found an answer to my own question. Going through my "inherited" stack of Dragon Magazines, I found an Awaken Magical Beast spell equivalent.

It also has an Awaken Ooze, but that just seems plain stupid.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads