• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can a cleric of a divine concept still have a patron god?

EroGaki

First Post
Is it possible for a cleric who dedicates himself to a certain philosophy to have a patron deity? One who has nothing to do with said philosophy? I plan on creating a cleric for an upcoming Pathfinder game, and want to model him after a white mage from the Final Fantasy series. Essentially, I want to make a character who heals as a profession, with magic. At the same time, I want his magic to seem like a skill or craft, like a wizard, rather than as the result of a divine patron.

I would like to character to have a patron deity, but I don't want his power to come from said deity.

FEADIN

Explorer
I see no problem with that as you can believe and worship an entire pantheon and get your spell from only one deity you can believe in universal healing and send prayer to a god (or gods).

Jack Simth

First Post
Is it possible for a cleric who dedicates himself to a certain philosophy to have a patron deity? One who has nothing to do with said philosophy? I plan on creating a cleric for an upcoming Pathfinder game, and want to model him after a white mage from the Final Fantasy series. Essentially, I want to make a character who heals as a profession, with magic. At the same time, I want his magic to seem like a skill or craft, like a wizard, rather than as the result of a divine patron.

I would like to character to have a patron deity, but I don't want his power to come from said deity.
Assuming 3.5? All you're changing is flavoring. As long as you're not powergaming your domain choices, that's actually encouraged in the DMG

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
If the character is getting his divine powers form a philosophy rather than a deity, I wouldn't call it a "patron" deity in the sense that a cleric may have a patron deity providing his powers. He just belongs to a particular religion more than any other.

Vegepygmy

First Post
I can't think of any reason why not, unless there's some definition of "patron deity" I don't know about. (Which is entirely possible. Forgotten Realms has some special rules about that, doesn't it?)

Herobizkit

Adventurer
To better emulate your concept, I would suggest either the Favored Soul class (chosen by a deity but casts divine as a sorcerer) or Cloistered Cleric (more book-smart priest with reduced combat ability and increased spell ability).

It is possible to be a "non-dedicated" priest who pays lip service to any number of deities she chooses. It's right in the the PHB...

Having said all that, I just noticed that you said "Pathfinder". I don't know if either concept works in said setting, but mechanically, shoudn't be an issue.

Shin Okada

Explorer
It is completely up to the campaign setting and the DM.

3.5e core rules do not have any clear rule definition on "patron deity".

I guess the Pathfinder core rules do not define it either.

Will

First Post
Is it me, or does almost every DM houserule 'must be a cleric of a deity'?

I think next time I run I'll try to avoid that. Heh.

Remove ads