• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can a dead character be healed by RAW? (Forked Thread: Bloodied vs. Dying)

keterys

First Post
And again... still dead. You're not helping your case at arguing that the rules are flawed in another area by citing the rules on being dead.

The rules for being dead are basically:
1) You _might_ not have to roll up a new character
2) Raise Dead can be used to bring you back from the dead
3) Some other power might also be able to bring you back from the dead

There are then a few examples, like in most epic destinies, potions of Life, Revenant Ankhs, etc.

But still dead. Which, if you're playing in the Ghostwalk setting, might indeed mean you can cheerfully keep on chatting with the group.

Flipguarder

First Post
I'm helping my case plenty. By showing you how ridiculous your idea of raw being god can be.

So we have a character who by raw rules, is dead, conscious, moving around. And you seem to think that's reasonable.

On the other hand bloodied ends at 0 hp. It seems as though you are completely against this as a possibility.

Again here's my point. The rules of this game HAVE to incorporate an amount of logic and reasoning outside of what's written. And this has to happen in order to get a reasonable understanding of what the rules ARE. The rules as written is not the same thing as the WORDS as written.

This whole thread is about understanding that when you don't do this, things get stupid quick.

keterys

First Post
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on how much you're helping your case, but I'd suggest that you certainly haven't shown that someone who is dead is conscious or moving around by RAW, so attempting to use it as an example of how RAW shouldn't be observed is a bit far fetched.

A rules question was asked - are you Bloodied at 0 or lower. It as a fact that by RAW, you are. Some people believed it worked otherwise, and those people are more than entitled to play differently in their home games. I'd find it mighty odd if people played D&D without ever changing any rules, myself.

Now, is it intended that bloodied not apply at 0 or lower? It's often unclear what the designers intended - and in this case I'd not be surprised if different designers had _different intentions_. It is certainly the case that there are monster and PC abilities that assume bloodied applies and end up working oddly if you rule otherwise. Easily addressed, mind you.

Put another way - I use several house rules, such as a rod of reaving not actually killing a minion automatically. When someone asks on a forum 'Hey, does a Rod of Reaving actually kill a minion?' I answer either 'Yes' or 'Yes, which is one reason of dozens that I use <this house rule>' or something similar.

This isn't a case of 'hey, no bad wrong fun, not allowed'. There is a simple rule. You're presenting it incorrectly. Done.

Arguing that a mathematic characteristic of a character should be subject to DM fiat is ludicrous - do halfling paladins with 14 Con have less surges than dragonborn paladins with 14 Con, because halflings are wimpier looking? You're simply not arguing about an aspect of the rules that _should_ be up to DM fiat, like 'hey what happens if I knock the hell hound into the river, will it put out his flame aura while he's in it?' or 'Hey, I want to try and lightning bolt the rock face over there to cause an avalanche... how?'

Cause boy, those are great things for a DM call. Not "I'm at 0 hp of 78 and have resist 5 until I'm no longer bloodied... so are my hp still below 39?" "No, 0 is not lower than 39, sorry."

N0Man

First Post
The rules also don't say that you can't walk vertically into midair... I think that there are some things that are assumed to be simply understood that the meaning is clear, such as when your character dies, it means he's dead.

Death: When you take damage that reduces your current hit points to your bloodied value expressed as a negative number, your character dies.
So death is defined by the conditions that cause death, and the result of this condition is that your character dies. Before death is Dying, and during dying is unconsciousness, which is explicitly stated as a condition that means you can perform no actions.

But as far as games go, don't we all know what it means to die?

Pointing out something is not forbidden doesn't mean it's legal. You could also say that nothing in RAW forbids characters reincarnating instantly at level 30 and with the ability to overrule the GM.

If you want to quibble about what it means to die, then you might as well debate every single term in the game that is not defined explicitly that are assumed to be understood. If you claim that something is legal because it's not forbidden, then that's an infinite number of possibilities.

The rules also don't say you can't use a D20 that has a 20 printed on every side does it?

Is there a rule about weighted dice?

Is there a rule that says that players can't pass through walls as they wish?

Is there a rule that says you have to play with someone who makes ridiculous RAW arguments?

Thanee

First Post
Let's play along. Sure you can be conscious again, but you're also still dead, so no actions.

Well, but that is assuming, that dead means you cannot take actions. I havn't found a dead condition in the book, however, so it doesn't have any effect to be dead (it's just a keyword).

Bye
Thanee

subrosas

First Post
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on how much you're helping your case, but I'd suggest that you certainly haven't shown that someone who is dead is conscious or moving around by RAW, so attempting to use it as an example of how RAW shouldn't be observed is a bit far fetched.

Respectfully, you have yet to show that the dead aren't conscious or moving around per RAW. The onus is on you in this case.

You can't pick and choose - if you claim that *logically* the dead can't be doing that (i.e. common usage), then I can just as easily claim that there is something called "mass" that makes a halfling barbarian overpowering a gargantuan primordial and forcibly moving the primordial around at least as unlikely as a dead person getting up and dancing after being healed.

In either case we are injecting our opinions into RAW rather than reading what is actually written.

subrosas

First Post
*wince* I really wish WotC would do an article explaining exception-based design to folks more clearly, so it would stop coming up in these arguments.

Care to provide your interpretation rather than empty snark? Oh, and maybe some evidence to back it up?

keterys

First Post
Respectfully, you have yet to show that the dead aren't conscious or moving around per RAW. The onus is on you in this case.

It is? Do I have to prove that you can walk straight up into the sky too, since N0man brought that up?

You can't pick and choose - if you claim that *logically* the dead can't be doing that (i.e. common usage), then I can just as easily claim that there is something called "mass" that makes a halfling barbarian overpowering a gargantuan primordial and forcibly moving the primordial around at least as unlikely as a dead person getting up and dancing after being healed.
Unfortunately I _can_ pick and choose. In the case of someone being dead I can say 'The system says you've died, and you can either roll up a new character or get raised from the dead.' whereas for the other I can say 'the system says he's pushed 1 square and his stat block doesn't say it doesn't work, so there's no exception to the rule'

In either case we are injecting our opinions into RAW rather than reading what is actually written.
No... we're not. In one case, there is a rule "You're dead" that is, perhaps, poorly defined, though it does list that you can either make a new character, get raised, or use some other power to come back from death, so at least there's guidance... and in the other case there's a rule that you're pushed, and a great number of powers and creatures that would stop that push, that you're choosing to break the rule as written on... and breaking that rule is allowable for a DM, but it should be done in advance, such as by altering the monster stat block or power appropriately, or making a generic campaign house rule. At the time you make the campaign house rule, you can also figure out if it applies to things like sun strike and diabolic grasp, and if the size of the caster matters too, since I'd be curious.

Care to provide your interpretation rather than empty snark?
I'm not intending it to be snark. I honestly wish that WotC would do an honest to goodness article about it. Exception-based design means you have a rule, then you have 'class, race, feat, power, and monster in the D&D game lets you break the rules in some way.' (PHB p1). For example, if you don't want a Primordial to be pushed around you give him Immune forced movement or a version of the dwarf Stand Your Ground. If you don't want Pressing Strike to have an unfettered push, you decide to add the line from Tide of Iron to it. If you generically want size to matter for all forced movement, you make a house rule that forced movement is reduced by 1 per size category difference, perhaps with a restriction that has it only apply to weapon attacks. There all kinds of ways to get the result you want by making an exception to the rule.

Deciding based on whim, at the table, however you want, is DM fiat... and DM fiat has its place in the game, but has little to do with interpreting the rules. For example, last night there was a trap in the module that teleported someone in a square that was activated by a lever - and the players pushed an enemy into it thinking it would activate, but by its own rules it wouldn't... so a second of DM fiat later, I let it work, because it was more fun. Similarly, when the very last monster in a fight was perched on a ledge and got critical-ed by the paladin's throwing shield and knocked off that ledge, I ruled he fell and broke his neck even though I don't think it was even bloodied by the attack... DM fiat making the game more fun is all well and good.

But again, I'm not going to argue that the _rule_ is that throwing shield criticals break necks, or that criticals on the last creature in a fight one-shot it or any number of other things. I might say 'Well, the game can get slow by RAW in the cleanup phase of a fight, so I'd suggest letting criticals kill things or starting to treat certain enemies like minions, or really doing anything that helps keep an exciting pace for _your_ game'

I'm done with this conversation. But I would just like to inform you that if someone said this to my face I would probably hit them. I find it extremely offensive.
If true, and I suspect you're exagerrating, you place far too great importance over game discussion (it's never worth hitting someone over it, ever). That aside, perhaps it means something else where you're from but it's a standard colloquialism or turn of phrase, such as 'Cause boy, is it wet out'. A quick glance at google gives pages of results in use such as any of the following links - you may need to search for "cause boy" to find the reference though. It was not an insult.

So, anyhow - if you want being dead to mean that people can still walk around, talk, do whatever, go ahead and do that for your game. The game is fairly silent on the _precise_ effects of being dead - though I suspect that if a DM allowed enemies who were slain to continue to act unhindered it would have some... profound... effects on the game :) It would certainly make creatures with auras that healed a bit more scary.

Similarly, if you want bloodied to mean that it goes from Half hp to 1 hp, go ahead. No police are going to show up at your door to argue about it. Well, I hope. Maybe there are some police _really_ into D&D.

Fwiw, I myself might adopt that practice if I don't think it affects any PC abilities. The trick is I have the nagging suspicion it does... I also wonder if it creates an odd case where a creature has the ability to not fall unconscious while dying, so is still going around acting but doesn't count as bloodied for all those abilities that care.

Last edited:

Flipguarder

First Post
I apologize. I had just woken up and read it as you calling me "boy" as in: "Boy, go fetch me my damned slippers" To be fair though, typing a turn of phrase that generally has an auditory element to it (such as sarcasm) will often lead to misunderstandings.

However I still am done with this conversation.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads