• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can a druid use Beast Sense on a summoned creature?

daimaru42

First Post
This seems like a great way to scout ahead. For instance, summon a rat, cast Beast Sense, and send it into the goblin's cave. The reason I ask is that a summoned creature is, in at least some ways, a spirit. Is it also enough of a beast for Beast Sense to work?

In related questions, while the caster can't see or hear, could they hold onto another character and follow them? Probably this would seriously mess up stealth. If they tripped, would it break their concentration?

Thanks,

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Conjure animals says "Each beast is also considered fey..." which I'd say means they are also considered beasts. And if they are considered beasts then they can be targets of spell like speak with animals and beast sense.

I would say beast sense will work on any beast from conjure animals. The pertinent wording is "Each beast is also considered fey." So things that affect beasts or fey will affect it. Conjure fey, which also allows you to get beasts, does not have that wording, so the conjured critter would be a fey and unaffected by beast-specific things. Likewise find familiars and find steeds familiars and steeds are not beasts, but celestials, fiends, or fey, so I don't think RAW they can be affected by beast-specific things. [At my table, I would let them be affected by beast-specific things from their summoner, so dominant beasts from an enemy wouldn't affect a familiar, but beast sense from a druid with the magic initiate feat {for find familiar} would.]

If you have a barbarian or fighter, maybe they could carry the druid....

Satyrn

First Post
This seems like a great way to scout ahead. For instance, summon a rat, cast Beast Sense, and send it into the goblin's cave. The reason I ask is that a summoned creature is, in at least some ways, a spirit. Is it also enough of a beast for Beast Sense to work?

In related questions, while the caster can't see or hear, could they hold onto another character and follow them? Probably this would seriously mess up stealth. If they tripped, would it break their concentration?
They've answered the is it a beast? question above.

I'd certainly let the caster stumble about blindly, which would definitely mess with trying to tiptoe about. Disadvantage!

I don't think I'd have tripping mess with concentration unless it involved a seriously nasty fall, which probably leaves no doubt how to rule since such a seriously nasty fall would be inflicting damage.

Remove ads