• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can a Lich with Druid levels Shapeshift?

Murrdox

First Post
I was just pondering this the other day as a possible campaign villain. Although most Liches would be Sorcerers or Wizards, I don't see any requirements of becoming a Lich which state that a Druid can't become a Lich. At least in the SRD (which is the only source I have in front of me, I'm not sure if the Monster Manual or other books have more detailed information) the only requirements to be a Lich are:

Caster level 11 (which Druid counts towards)
Craft Wondrous Item

Now, the thing that makes this whole thing ODD... is that you have an Undead that will gain or loose a CON attribute. When it shapeshifts, it suddenly becomes "Alive". The Polymorph rules don't seem to strictly prohibit this as I read them.

Unfortunately, the Polymorph rules DO seem to prohibit a Lich from shapeshifting into UNDEAD animals, which I was originally going for. Undead is not listed as a valid type for Polymorph, just like you cannot shapeshift into a Construct.

I think for my villian I will do one of a couple of different things:

1) Make the Lich be able to shapeshift into living animals. It provides an excellent disguise for this undead druid abomination.

2) Make the Lich be able to shapeshift into living animals, and apply the Lich template to those animals. Since the Lich doesn't loose any applied templates when it Shapeshifts, you could argue that the Lich shapeshifts into a Bear, but that Bear has the same templates applied to it that the Lich does, which makes it into an undead creature, which retain all of the Lich's special attacks and special qualities.

3) Forget the Polymorph rules and make the Lich shapeshift into undead animals. Apply the "zombie" or "skeleton" templates to the animals that he shapeshifts into.

Personally I'm leaning towards number 2, but I don't know if that is supported by the rules or not.

szilard

First Post
My impression was that Wildshape (now based on Alternate Form) no longer changes your type - so you'd look like a living animal, but be undead (and lack a Con score).

-Stuart

Can the druid go lich - yes.

Problem is, he can't wildshape afterwards, as his creature type becomes undead.

There is a feat in LM that allows him to retain his wildshape powers... corrupted wildshape or something similar.

BenjErik

First Post
Undead Druids

Yes, Libris Mortis has feats that allow for undead to wildshape. I dont know the exact mechanics of it, but its called "Corrupted Wild Shape".

IcyCool

First Post
Gerion of Mercadia said:
Problem is, he can't wildshape afterwards, as his creature type becomes undead.

Is there something in the Undead type that prevents an undead creature from Wildshaping?

Elethiomel

First Post
The "Normal:" section of Corrupted Wild Shape references the rule that Polymorph only affects living creatures. Since Wild Shape is now based off Alternate Form, I don't think this applies any more.

Rath the Brown

First Post
IcyCool said:
Is there something in the Undead type that prevents an undead creature from Wildshaping?

Pre-errata, wildshape was based on polymorph, which only works on "willing living creature touched". Since an Undead creature is not living, they could not wildshape. (This is a paraphrase of the Note in the description of the Corrupted Wild Shape feat in Libris Mortis)

Now that wildshape has been errata'd to be based on the Alternate Form special ability, I see nothing in the errata'd Alternate Form that would prevent an Undead creature from wildshaping. (Especially since some Undead already have Alternate Form, such as a vampire being able to change into a bat or wolf.)

Edit: Beaten to it...

moritheil

First Post
IcyCool said:

At this point there is only the text in the LM that contradicts it. Since Wild Shape was changed after LM came out, most people would ignore that. :D

Remove ads