• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can a Natural Lycanthrope be afflicted by the Curse of another?

Empirate

First Post
I've done a little search in the SRD and the FAQ, and couldn't find anything that forbids applying the same template more than once. Interesting. I've always been under the impression that, usually, a template cannot be applied more than one time, although there are exceptions specifically stating that they can (like Evolved Undead in Libris Mortis).

However, in the OP's case, I'd say a Lycanthrope is immune to "contracting Lycanthropy". Like me when I have caught a flu, I'm immune to catching it again while I'm still ill - I can either have the flu or not, but I can't have two instances of the same disease. Being exposed to 'more' of the same disease doesn't disease anybody 'more'.

Even in D&D, a character can't contract more than one instance of Filth Fever at the same time. In this, diseases (and I would imagine, even curse-like magical diseases like Lycanthropy) differ from poisons, in D&D and in real life.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
However, even if it was a disease, I could see ruling that the disease from a wererat is different then the disease of a wereleopard, and therefore contactable by other.

RD
I see this as a plot hook. I figure, since we don't have ANY official data on any lycanthrope mixes (It took me forever to find info on hybrid dragons), It's either impossible or rare.
If you want to make a really sweet plot hook, declare it rare and have fun.

...otherwise, if it was easy, someone else would have already done it. Since no one has, you've simply very clever!

NEXxREX

First Post
you could always make up a mgaical item and hook it into the plot, a famous werewolf hunters weapon, etc.

but i completely agree with greenfield, on the purely balancing issue. lycanthropy is stupidly powerful as it is. depending on which lycanthrope he is...

Sekhmet

First Post
"Hah-HAH! I AM THE DREADED WEREWOLFBEARRAT, COWER IN MY AWESOME PRESENCE!" The moon cradled among the stars, like a shining beacon of hope in the dark of night, held safe the secrets of the lycanthropes.
At least, it should have. Alfred had always been the short straw, and had contracted not just one, but three different types of lycanthropy - a stroke of luck so bizarre it had left him the shell of a man. The physiological, moral, and ego alterations to his already frail psyche had dealt their damage; he now considered himself to be the dreaded werewolfbearrat.
And it was time to punish those who had abused his ill fortunes."

I sort of see a werewolf body, with the feet, weight, and head of a bear, and the teeth, front arms/claws, and tail of a rat.

Alfred is, indeed, a force to be reckoned* with.

*may mean "laughed at"

RuminDange

First Post
I'm thinking about two possibilities in the case of a Natural Lycanthrope becoming afflicted with another lycanthropes curse from a bite.

1 - Instead of being in control during the three days of the full moon, they are instead driven into a blood rage and lose control, shifting and acting more like an afflicted lycanthrope. In addition, it could happen when they take damage etc. :devil:

2 - Even worse, not only doing the blood rage and loss of control but it makes them lose the previous animal type and become like that of the one that afflicted them. :devil:

Maybe give a bonus to resist this so it is not a common happening, but can happen sort of thing. Enough so to make the PC squirm about it, just like the other players who also face the affliction.

Might even have to dig more into the pdf from SKR - the Curse of the Moon for a different take on lycanthropes and handling the template.

RD

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads