• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can a once a month game work?

Mercurius

Legend
I just moved back to the area I went to high school (after 16 years) and I am trying to convince an old fellow gamer to play in a 4E I would run, but we're both very busy (kids, work, marriage, etc) and the very most I could play would be once every two weeks, while he said "at most once a month," with a dubious-but-wistful tone to his voice.

So I'm thinking of two options (other than just not doing it):

1) Play once a month for a long session, 6-8 hours.
2) Play twice a month for a shorter session, 4-5 hours.

Now unless I can convince him otherwise--not to mention that another old gamer friend might be able to make an hour and a half commute once a month, but probably not twice--its going to be once a month or not at all. But I've never played that way. I've always done weekly, twice-monthly, or every couple months, but for an entire weekend (thus a complete adventure in one extended weekend session).

Does anyone play once a month? Does it work? How can I make it work and keep campaign continuity and some kind of overarching plot? Or should I not bother and just run short adventures that could be wrapped up in six or seven hours? Anything to keep in mind, advice, etc?

pemerton

Legend
My group plays one average every 3 weeks, for a 4-5 hour session on Sunday afternoons. It is fine, but record keeping has to be fairly accurate because memories can fade pretty quickly!

You might also want to think about accelarating level gain to be a bit quicker (per session) than what you are used to, or it may seem that the characters never get better.

Skywalker

Adventurer
Yes it works fine. I would suggest that you try and finish at an appropriate point, rather than in the middle of something. Also, starting the session with a summary of the previous sessions is helpful.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Yes it works fine. I would suggest that you try and finish at an appropriate point, rather than in the middle of something. Also, starting the session with a summary of the previous sessions is helpful.

Everything that Skywalker said. Also, you may find that some free forums or a Yahoo group with handouts and such can help keep such games fresh and interesting, by giving participants something to do/read between game sessions.

The Highway Man

First Post
1) Play once a month for a long session, 6-8 hours.
2) Play twice a month for a shorter session, 4-5 hours.

I did both, and I can tell you it works in both cases. You will need to recap a bit more the events of previous games unless the players are especially attentive, and probably think more of the game as a social event than a harcore gaming session, but it does work if you are motivated and ready before the first dice are rolled.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
We play about once a month for 6 hour sessions. It's difficult as we have a lot of information to remember. We typically keep notes, but lately it's been more of a last session recap than talking about the entire campaign.

fba827

Adventurer
Does anyone play once a month? Does it work? How can I make it work and keep campaign continuity and some kind of overarching plot? Or should I not bother and just run short adventures that could be wrapped up in six or seven hours? Anything to keep in mind, advice, etc?

It can work (my current group has an erratic schedule but once a month seems like it will be the average). But I think it really depends on the players too. Do you think they will ENJOY an over-arching plot then by all means, do it that way. Or do you think they won't necessarily have the attention span for months at a time?

Random thoughts to consider that might help ...

1) Try and stop each session at an extended rest or, if not, then at a short rest and take good notes on stuff (like what dailies have been used, how many action points and surges remain for each player, hit points, conditions, etc).

2) Find a player (or two) that ENJOYS taking notes on a) NPCs and b) plot points, and see if they'll take the informal title of "NPC name note taker" and "plot point note taker" etc since they'll need to reference these notes a lot, esp for an interconnected campaign. Nothing fancy, just a place to keep track of names, major points, etc. Along similar lines, find a player to c) keep track of party treasure and dividing it up and keeping notes on where the "undivided" items (i.e. that strange mirror that emits evil radiation that you're hoping the local wizard can disenchant and then destroy) are - who is carrying it, etc... Special note -- Ideally, someone will naturally emerge and take this role(s) on their own without any word from you. It has less resentment if it was their own idea rather than a title that was given to them. So keep it rather casual if no one speaks up "hey, who is keeping track of the treasure" or "who remembers the name of the NPC you were supposed to deliver this too" etc.

3) Two days before the game session, consider sending an email recap of the last session. Nothing fancy, just a few lines or paragraph. That way, at the game table you can skim through the recap but you'll be able to spend more time on the current game session since everyone would have just read the recap a day or two before

4) If exp calculation takes ANY time at all, save it and send it as an email later. This way you won't spend game time doing calculations and you won't have players spending game time (or distracted) trying to level up characters

5) Schedules have a way of shifting, and the "social event that the child needs to go to at the last minute" often hinders "daddy's monthly game that he can do every month" so a week before (maybe when you send recaps) have a reminder about the day and time. By making it a reminder, it's also a passive rsvp since if it conflicts someone might remember to let you know. In a round about way, this helps on game day because no one is waiting for the player that won't show (past groups always had a habit of goofing off a lot until "that last person got there" often led to lots of wasted time until we realized that person wasn't coming at all)

6) Depending on your group's expectations for death/TPKs/etc , consider telling everyone to always have a back-up character ready (at least in basic ability scores, race, class) and keep that back-up character a level behind their main character (or whatever your rule is). Thus, if someone does have a character die, they can whip out their backup and use it as soon as there is a good spot to join in (as opposed to waiting to make it from scratch and then wait more to find a spot to join in)

I'm sure there are more things but that's what i can think of at the moment.

But, yeah, it really does come down to the players as to whether or not a campaign will work on that schedule.

You may want to consider starting the first two sessions as a way to test the waters... have the first two sessions some what connected, and see how glazed over everyone's eyes are when you try to get them to remember an NPC from the first session... ;)

Or just ask them what they _want_, they'll be more receptive to a campaign if they make a conscious decision that this is what they want.

Anyway, just my rambles

My group has met about once a month for a few years now (I never realized what a pain it could be to get six 30-somethings with families in one place at the same time until I tried it), and it definitely works for us.

What has already been said here certainly applies -- extra recap before sessions, good notes, and so forth. I have also found that at the beginning of our games, one needs to build some "hey, how ya been" time into the session -- our group has very strong out-of-game connections and friendships, and our game time is the only significant time our group has a chance to spend with each other; if we didn't allow about an hour of catch-up time before the game starts, we would be doing it during the game, slowing it down.

Skywalker mentioned it was important to reach a "pause point" when stopping a game, rather than in the middle of something -- I think this is crucial. Memories fade, and if the game is stopped in the middle of an excursion or encounter, it will be near impossible to pick up later.

Anyway, my 2cp --

Mercurius

Legend
Wow, great suggestions, thanks all--and especially fba827 for the How To brochure ;)

I'm feeling a bit more optimistic. Of course the tricky part is that the two old friends haven't played in years, maybe not since high school--2nd edition--(we're all in our early-to-mid 30s) and I'm only just getting back in touch with one of them. They both expressed mild-to-moderate interest, so it will be up to me to get them piqued.

But again, very useful suggestions by all. I will definitely keep them in mind.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads