• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can a PC get threathening reach?

Cadfan

First Post
I think the new niche for reach weapons is in enemy control. You know, hit an enemy who is a space away from you and knock him prone, and now he has to spend a move action to stand, another to move adjacent to you, and he doesn't get to attack.

ebenmckay

First Post
Ahglock said:
So pikes no longer break a lance charge. :D

I don't really want a AoO from this didn't like them since combat and tactics while fighting giants didn't like them in 3e. But a immediate action so you hit first seems reasonable for reach. Does 4e give something like that?

Planting your pikes and raising them when the officer gives the signal != AoO.

Readied actions, yo.

mneme

Explorer
eben has the answer, rilly.

"ready an action: if an enemy moves into my range, hit them". Readied actions, and not AoO, are what you use to be able to hit attackers as they charge. Set up a phalanx of spearsmen who all ready, and any charging attacker is going to be very unhappy by the time they get an attack in...and even more unhappy after.

Up to 5 concentrated attacks on picked targets -- probably encounter powers, at that, before they get to close, then they get an attack, then five -more- attacks from the back rank who also had readied actions..., then on the defender's turns, they get to make a round of attacks -again-; and keep in mind that some of those readied attacks might be "knock 'em down" type powers that will interrupt movement..so on the defender's turns, they get to hit again and retreat...probably switching front and back rank, so those who attacked twice are in the rear, whereas in the front have readied actions to repeat the trick.

Last edited:

Aegir

First Post
Rechan said:
Something interesting about Threatening Reach; I don't think it works with regards to enemies approaching you.

Moving away, yes. But ye olde 3e "I charge the monster" "It gets an AoO on you cuz it has reach" is gone.

Thats not what it says: reach + threatening reach is exactly like the old 3E reach rules.

OAs require that a monster exit a threatened square. If you don't have reach, the only way this can happen is by moving away or by trying to move around a monster (unless you're shifting).

4E reach expands your reach, but not your threatened range. However, if you tack on threatening range, then a charging attacker has to exit that second row of squares to get adjacent to you, which triggers an OA.

Tony Vargas

Legend
No. Polearm Gamble gives you a sad immitation of threatening reach, but that's about it.

So far. I'll be very disapointed if Martial Power doesn't include some sort of controller-role martial class that makes superior use of reach. Threatening reach, close blast = reach, close burst = reach, that sort of thing.

Ahglock said:
So pikes no longer break a lance charge.
Which is OK, because there are no lances in 4e, either.

Boco

First Post
Polearm Gamble is still good when combined with Heavy Blade Opportunist and a glaive, or you could also add Uncanny Dodge to stop your opponent from taking advantage of the combat advantage you gave. And you can also ready an attack and use Polearm Gamble for a 2-hit combo.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads