• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can a wand be a club?

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
I was playing around with the new version of PCGen the other day and was making a magic club for a Druid character.

To my suprise, the custom weapon construction utility offered 50 charge spells (like a wand) as an option that you could put on any weapon.

"Gee", I thought to myself, "it would be great to have a club that also had 50 charges of Shillelagh on it..."

Is this legal? Is it kosher?

It seems like it would be super handy to not have to deal with getting out the wand, using it on the club, and then having to put it away.

It smacks of munchkiny cheese to me, but the power gamer in my is very attracted to it...

Chronosome

First Post
There are items like that all over the place. I say go for it. :) In my game, I'd say a creator would need both Craft Arms and Armor and Craft Wand to make it a go.

It may have Teh Cheese, but I think it's pretty flavorful storywise, too. I mean, why wouldn't druids make those? :)

Tetsubo

First Post
I have no experience with the PCGen software.

That said I don't see a problem. I don't think that a club is that vastly different from a wand. I might require it to be a masterwork club but that's about it. You could have a wand "set" into a club as well. I often play with the rules a bit looser than some. The idea of a club with a built-in spell reserve is rather neat.

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
IMO since by the book charges are not a standard option on weapons and Wands are not by default weapons (A typical wand is 6 inches to 12 inches long and about 1/4 inch thick, and often weighs no more than 1 ounce.) to allow them to be weapons or to allow charges on a weapon would require the DM's permission and a house rule. Much as all custom magical items require the DM's permission.

AFGNCAAP

First Post
IMHO, it wouldn't be a wand, per se.

I'd think that this sort of item would more or less fall into the same category as a staff or rod. Staves & rods could be used as weapons (& can even possess weapon-based enchantments), where as wands are solely "spell batteries" in which only the spell stored within them may be used offensively, but not the container of said spells.

I'm tempted to say that this item might be a lesser form of rod or staff, in comparison to the power level of other items.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Laslo Tremaine said:
"Gee", I thought to myself, "it would be great to have a club that also had 50 charges of Shillelagh on it..."

I think that sounds just fine.

You could use your magical club to cast Shillelagh on any non-magical club or quarterstaff you had handy.

-Hyp.

Last edited:

Flyspeck23

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

You could use your magical club to cast Shillelagh on any non-magical club or quarterstaff you had handy.
:D

So you'd say that a "club made wand of shillelagh" is a special case and could be allowed, but not "club made wand of any other spell"? Or do you just think that a club of shillelagh is an awkward combination? Or both? ;)

MerakSpielman

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

-Hyp.
I'm sure there's some way to abuse it...

So, a maralith wielding regular clubs in most of her arms and 1 club of Shillelagh...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
MerakSpielman said:
I'm sure there's some way to abuse it...

So, a maralith wielding regular clubs in most of her arms and 1 club of Shillelagh...

Yes, but is that so very different to having regular clubs in most of her arms and a wand of Shillelagh?

As a DM, I'd be inclined to allow anything to be crafted as a wand, with perhaps a modest price hike - 20%, or something.

If it were something already magical, I'd probably follow the pricing rules for adding a second power to an item.

-Hyp.

Zad

First Post
Personally, my take is this:

You can put spell effects on weapons. You can make those effects charged. So yes, you take take a club and put 50 charges of something on it.

However you need the Craft Arms and Armor feat, and it must be at least a +1 club. And you have to meet all the usual prerequisites (i.e. able to cast the spell in question, etc).

What you can't do is make a magic wand via Craft Wand and call it a "club".

Remove ads