• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can an Arcane Archer use scrolls with Imbue arrow

Snowy

Explorer
The thread title say it all really.

I suppose I should expand this to.

Can they by RAW?

What sequence of actions would it take?

Is this intended by the spirit of the rules, is it too powerful, too weak without etc etc.

I have a sorceror 2 fighter the rest going for AA as soon as possible presently 6th level, I want to ensure that he gets to have his fun and that he doesn't gain any unbalanced advantage or disadvantage by what I rule.

Snowy

Explorer
thats a relief :)

When my player asked whether it worked or not I felt sure it must say! Was worried I was missing something obvious.

Will leave it for some of the rules Gurus here to have their say before investigating further.

Opinions are more than welcome as well as facts, I'll appreciate the thoughts of the hive mind!

Korak

First Post
3.5 DMG said:
It takes a standard action to cast the spell and fire the arrow. The arrow must be fired in the same round the spell is cast, or the spell is wasted.

I think the more reasonable answer is no. I base this on the fact that imbue arrow uses a standard action to cast the spell and fire the arrow. So, you are already juggling a bow, an arrow, and performing somatic components, if any, during a single standard action. Adding a scroll to that mix doesn't seem right. Perhaps if you had quickdraw it would be more reasonable. Another sensible house rule might be to allow it, but require a full-round action if casting from a scroll.

joshuakanton

First Post
Korak said:
I think the more reasonable answer is no. I base this on the fact that imbue arrow uses a standard action to cast the spell and fire the arrow. So, you are already juggling a bow, an arrow, and performing somatic components, if any, during a single standard action. Adding a scroll to that mix doesn't seem right. Perhaps if you had quickdraw it would be more reasonable. Another sensible house rule might be to allow it, but require a full-round action if casting from a scroll.

Requiring a full round action or the quickdraw feat sounds reasonable and if the character miscasts the scroll the arrow is never fired.

pawsplay

Hero
No. Imbue arrow describes the procedure for using a spell, and it is different than the procedure for using a scroll. Right off the bat, casting a spell in such a manner is always a standard action, whatever the casting time of the spell is.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
pawsplay said:
No. Imbue arrow describes the procedure for using a spell, and it is different than the procedure for using a scroll. Right off the bat, casting a spell in such a manner is always a standard action, whatever the casting time of the spell is.

Activating a magic item is a standard action unless the item indicates otherwise. However, the casting time of a spell is the time required to activate the same power in an item, whether it's a scroll, a wand, or a pair of boots, unless the item description specifically states otherwise.

What's the activation time of a Wand of Feather Fall?

The casting time of the spell is a free action, per the PHB (or an immediate action, post-XPH). So unless the item description specifically states otherwise, the activation time of the same power in an item, such as a wand, is a free action (or an immediate action).

So what does the item description for wands say? "Casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity. (If the spell being cast, however, has a longer casting time than 1 action, it takes that long to cast the spell from a wand.)" Ah. Standard action, or casting time of the spell if longer. A free action (or an immediate action) is not longer... so the activation time of the Wand of Feather Fall is a standard action. The activation time of a Wand of Lesser Restoration, on the other hand, is 3 rounds - the casting time of the spell.

So what about a Scroll of Lesser Restoration? The casting time of the spell is 3 rounds. So unless the item description specifically states otherwise, the activation time of the same power in an item, such as a scroll, is 3 rounds.

So what does the item description for scrolls say?

... it doesn't. So the item description doesn't specifically state otherwise; the activation time of a Scroll of Lesser Restoration is 3 rounds. A Scroll of Feather Fall, one free action (or one immediate action).

-Hyp.

Remove ads