• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can an immediate interrupt stop movement?

Markn

First Post
Well, underneath readied action they suggest to ready an action based on movement so that you have the option of going before the creature attacks. This is based on individual sqaures of movement.

keterys

First Post
And if you take a "walk" action, you can actually do things like, say, walk 2 squares to reveal what's around a corner or barrier, then move from there after seeing more of the battlefield.

Chzbro

First Post
To me, it seems like it depends on the move action that you're interrupting.

If you move into the square I'm trying to enter with an interrupt, you certainly negate that action, but if I have more squares of movement left I'm fairly certain I can still use them. Perhaps the interrupt should cause me to lose one square of movement (the move that was negated), but not the whole move because, as others have pointed out, move actions resolve square by square rather than all at once.

However, since a shift is only 1 square (usually) I believe this might work differently. If I attempt to shift into square x and you interrupt that action by moving into it, I think that move action might be lost. I don't think I get to say, "Okay, I'll just shift into square y instead." Because you can clearly invalidate attacks with interrupts, I feel the precedent is clear that single square move actions should also work like this (although I'm not sure I can support that with anything explicit).

The Battlemind's Blurred Step is a much better power if this is the case. Assuming you can find a way to shift more than 1 (not the easiest thing, but possible), using Blurred Step as an opportunity action (which does interrupt) means that you can invalidate the triggering move action of the enemy (a shift). Sure he can still move away from you by spending a standard action to move, but that ain't bad. If it doesn't work like that, I remain perplexed by the purpose of the power--but that's a discussion for a different thread.

Dragongrief

Explorer
Then I thought about charges. Would negating the conditions of a charge (2 squares of move) invalidate the attack? I would say yes, mainly because it's a discrete Standard action (move+attack).

But wait, isn't move just a discrete move action? As in spend a move action, and you may move a number of squares equal to your speed? Does movement happen in discrete one square jumps, or do you essentially declare your entire path of movement when you declare the move action?

Negating a Charge would be a special case scenario (and it is the attack being negated in this case, rather than the movement - you still move into "the closest space adjacent to the target"). It isn't the fact the target got closer/in the path of the attacker that negates the attack, it's that the attacker could no longer move 2 squares before reaching the closest square to the target.

Had someone else moved into that space, or the target shifted away instead of closer, the attacker could simply alter their path and continue - assuming enough movement was available, and likely provoking OAs.

N0Man

First Post
I remember specifically this idea was brought up on Enworld when Keep on the Shadowfell first came out, in regards to Kobold Dragonshield shifting as a reaction to moving next to it.

We had someone from WotC (I forget who) post here and explicitly stated that you decide your movement from square to square, not declared as a fixed path.

In the example of the Dragonshields, if they react by shifting away 1 square, then if you have more movement then you can move 1 square as well.

When it comes to movement, an interrupt can prevent the move into a square (or an action that would occur once they got into a square). A mere immediate reaction is sufficient to have an effect after they move the square (but still before they take another action).

Aulirophile

First Post
If an enemy were to move to a square, and as an interrupt, you move into that square instead, then you occupy the square which will negate his movement. Then he'll be adjacent to you, and he'll have to either provoke an OA to keep moving, or attack you.

This is perfectly acceptable.
Just occured to me, would it negate his movement because he attempts to move into the square and fails, or because he doesn't move? If the former, he automatically provokes an OA from attempting to leave a threatened square (just as walking into an invisible monsters provokes an OA and stops your movement, because the square is occupied).

Remove ads