Can anyone draw a detailed world map?

Fooly_Cooly

First Post
Hello. Let me say that first this is regarding a hombrew world. I tried finding a homebrew section but alas dont have premium and cant use the search function.So if there is one i apologize for posting in the wrong area. Now the point of this thread is. Me and my friends have gotten together and made our own universe for pathfinder style play. We have a deity list,Nations history. We have it all. well except... a way to show our players what it looks like. We got together one night and attempted to draw it in the general sense of what we wanted it. Lets jsut say none of us have artistic talent. We had i think 3 rivers on the whole planet? Because we couldnt draw them properly and had no idea how to fit them into the map... So I was wondering if anyone can (or knows anyone that can) draw a detailed world map? We are of course willing to compensate for their work but just try to keep in mind we are your average young gamers. So not rolling in dough exactley. Hah. But anyone who might be willing to draw our world so we can better envision the quest areas and point out where are players are would be insanely appreciated :)

Kinak

First Post
I'm pretty new myself, so I'm not sure if there's a better forum.

I'm also pretty terrible at art, though, so I have some suggestions. You can try Hexmapper (free) or other programs that take the art out of it. You still need to remember rivers yourself, though :)

My favorite "cheat," personally, is to grab a section of the real world map that roughly matches the climate you need. Then just place territory lines and sites of interest. If you are doing the whole globe and don't want the map to look too familiar, zoom in on an island chain (so the big islands are continents).

Good luck on your game!

Cheers!
Kinak

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
No guarantee that anyone will grab it, but it you go to the Cartographers' Guild, you have to join to post. There is a Map Request Forum, and read the rules regarding what a Map Request post requires (payment, no payment, turn around needs, etc.) It's also wise to explore the Finished Map Gallery or elsewhere on the site and find a map style that you like, and put that in the request as well.

Many cartographers, especially the younger members take on free map projects to extend their skill development - and many of these guys are very pro amateurs who are actually skilled at mapping. I've done a few, but too busy to take side (no pay) projects these days.

It might take a week +/- to get a response, so don't get antsy, but somebody may do one for you there. I think it's your best chance for some really good work.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I really enjoy making maps. But I'm a father, a game store owner, and a martial arts instructor. I don't get a lot of free time, so I can't say I can do anything fast.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Hmm. That sounds pretty good. Thanks for the info. If it does require pay do you have any idea what the average charge is?

It varies, but nobody expects you to pay like a publisher, so $10 - $20 is a reasonable guess. Some of the members might ask you to donate the money to the Cartographers' Guild, instead of paying them - especially if the map is created by one of their community leaders (it happens). Somebody might do it for free.

I'm a pro cartographer, and my table is full at the time between publisher maps to create, and my own setting to design and publish for - so I don't have time myself.

Stormonu

Legend
I've recently started to use Hexographer, I find it a lot of fun and it can do most of the mapping for you for a basic map.

You might also want to check out the Profantasy website. They have a free viewer you can download and heaps of premade maps you might be able to scavenge. This is the software I used to use to make my own homebrew world of Amberos, though it's got a bit of a steep learning curve (and my maps aren't that great - I started them back in CC1 and have slowly building on them, instead of starting over from scratch like I should have).

There is also this Donjon Fractal World Creator. Save the image, and you could mark it up to indicate countries and other stuff (it should even be importable into CC3 so you can draw "on top of it").

Fooly_Cooly

First Post
Thanks for all the replys guys. I think im gonna try the cartographers guild though. But all the payments ive seen have been 100 to 200$...wich is out of our price range. Also we dont really now info like inches to miles and stuff :p

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Thanks for all the replys guys. I think im gonna try the cartographers guild though. But all the payments ive seen have been 100 to 200$...wich is out of our price range. Also we dont really now info like inches to miles and stuff :p

Honestly, most publishers don't pay more than $50 a map - and that's pro work for the industry. Some publishers pay more (WotC and Paizo, for example), but most everybody else can't afford to pay that. I've done a map for Paizo (City of Minkai, Jade Regent #6), so I know. And I've done maps for small publishers too. Heck for my own Kaidan maps (my published setting) - I don't even get $50 a map.

And I know for a fact that some Cartographers' Guild members have done free maps for individuals in the past - however, if you want it free, it might take a couple weeks before you get a mapper to bite. If you offer some minimum amount like $20, you will get a response sooner. The CG gets requests like this all the time, and maps get done...

If you were pro publisher, a mapper would expect to be paid more - depending on who the mapper is. But an individual needn't expect to pay high prices for a home game map.

It would help if you could create a crude version of your map concept, scan it and email that to your mapper and it would help to figure out that it's a thousand miles across some region, so the mapper can more precisely scale the map for you. Have some idea, anyway.

Last edited:

Remove ads