• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can anyone recommend a Sci-Fi/Future game?

Thyrkill

Explorer
Hi,

I am looking to possibly run something different than my usual fantasy game, and wanted to know if there are any decent Sci-fi/Space Opera type games out there. I am quite unfamiliar with this genre of gaming (the last time I played a futuristic setting game was RIFTS, and Star Frontiers before that), so any input would be enlightening.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Ranger REG

Explorer
Dawning Star.

Campaign Models from d20 Future includes: Star Law (Star Frontier redux), Star*Drive (more material can be found in the Alternity supplements), Bughunters ("Who you gonna call? Bugbusters!"), Genetech (Dark Angels ... lots of them), etc.

Sunglar

Explorer
I must admit to being out of the loop on Sci-Fi / Space Opera for a while. I am just getting ready to start a Star Wars game pretty soon, and there is a new rulebook coming out, or the possibility of running it with True20.

But the real reason I had to reply is Star Frontiers. That is a game near and dear to my heart, and while D20 Future just gave a glimpse of it, adapting it is no problem and there are many sources online, form original books to fan created material! If you have fun memories of it give it a try.

rgard

Adventurer
Thyrkill said:
Hi,

I am looking to possibly run something different than my usual fantasy game, and wanted to know if there are any decent Sci-fi/Space Opera type games out there. I am quite unfamiliar with this genre of gaming (the last time I played a futuristic setting game was RIFTS, and Star Frontiers before that), so any input would be enlightening.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Traveller T20 (D20 version of Traveller). I playtested it so I am a bit biased. You can ignore the setting or make your own. I would use the setting as there is plenty there to do a good Space Opera type game. If you like the setting there is outrageous amounts of fluff out there for the setting.

Otherwise you could use Star Wars D20 (revised core rule book.) If you aren't into Jedi, just eliminate the Jedi classes and light sabers. If you want psionics in the game you can keep the one Force Adept class, keep the force feats/skills and call them psionics instead. Alot of folks actually use the force rules (while dumping the normal D&D magic system) in fantasy games to create a low magic setting.

If you choose either T20 or SW and you only need the one core book. I think both retail for $40 and you can probably pick up both cheaper on ebay or other place on line. The SW core book may be cheaper soon as WotC is releasing and updated version soon.

Thanks,
Rich

Salcor

First Post
I will have to chime in with King Paul and recommend Dawning Star. The campaign world is great because it is set up to allow just about any campaign style. Plus it is full supported by Blue Devil Games. At the moment there are about 5 adventures for it (1 in the main book, 2 for free on the website, one for sale, and 1 in the Terraformer.)

Salcor

Aussiegamer

First Post
Thyrkill said:
Hi,

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Are you looking for a system or modules for a system?

Thyrkill

Explorer
Looking for a system. I will check out Dawning Star and Traveler D20, and I am also intrigued by the new Star Wars.

Thanks for the help so far everyone.

Matt

Aussiegamer

First Post
OK

Dawning Star is a campaign setting type thing for d20M (F)

Traveller is for me one for the best settings that I have seen. Lots of solid back up data.

For "big" feel combats. I would not recommend d20M (f), as it is way too simpistic is the rule set and too restrictive because of this for its construction.

I am not sure about d20 Traveller, as I have not read it. I did like the classless

I hope that if your interested in looking outside the box that you have a look at my system. It is still in development thus still requires some fixing. But the basics are there and pretty solid. :D

Remove ads