Can anyone write Cthulhu Mythos material?

CountPopeula

First Post
The former. Nobody can copyright or otherwise claim that something as ephemeral as a style of writing can be protected.

Sure they can. That was the whole basis of White Wolf's lawsuit against Sony for that Underworld movie. It was "thematically similar" and had Vampires fighting Werewolves. I'm surprised they haven't tried to sue Stephenie Meyer yet.

I mean, one of their copyright claims was that in Vampire: The Masquerade Vampires and Werewolves hide their existence from humans, so that's theirs, Oh, and they have a woman who's an excellent assassin and warrior... man, they should sue the Weinstiens for Kill Bill, too.

They stopped making press releases in 2003, though, so... I would assume they didn't win, because they would have bragged about it, and there wouldn't have been a sequel to Underworld... and certainly not a third film in the works, which there is.

Claiming something and bringing suit about it is one thing, winning is another. It depends on how litigious someone is, and what they think they're entitled to based on their existing IP.

Remove ads