• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can Clerics Cure Cancer?

Sejs

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
Cleric: (to the paladin) You're drunk!! You can't get drunk, you're a paladin!
Paladin: There's nuttin' in the *hiccup* . . . There's nuttin' in the *hiccup* . . . There's nuttin' in the scriptures against drinkin', is there?
Cleric: Well, no, but . . .

Paladin: Then wheresh the problem? LESH GO SCHMITE SHOME EVIL! WOOOO!!

Fieari

Explorer
If the Cancer Mage from the BoVD is any indication, cancer would be damaged by a remove disease spell, but not nessesarily destroyed instantly. That's the closest I can see to an actual printed rule on the subject...

Dracandross

First Post
irdeggman said:
Unless it was unique to that paladin I don't see how it voids the requirements that all paladin's codes share (well the LG variety anyway).
Besides I could see a dwarven paladin with a racial fondness for ale.

Im not meaning some drinking but as one suggested pally that smokes and drinks like theres no tomorrow because he cant catch cancer (pancreas or lung in this case). Laying wasted every day in the nearest corner isnt really way to go.

-Dracandross

saucercrab

Explorer
Dracandross said:
Im not meaning some drinking but as one suggested pally that smokes and drinks like theres no tomorrow because he cant catch cancer (pancreas or lung in this case). Laying wasted every day in the nearest corner isnt really way to go.

-Dracandross
And a paladin that smokes constantly could cause cancer in others, via second-hand smoke. ;)

ruleslawyer

To me, alcohol overuse, heavy smoking, and casual sex would all fall under the heading of acts that violate personal discipline, and thus are "chaotic" in nature. I can see how others might disagree, but this is certainly one of the ways in which I see the lawful-chaotic axis IMC.

As for what cures cancer: I'd say heal does it. It's one level higher than raise dead, and as Ridley's Cohort said, it fits with clerics... er, saints being able to heal things like lameness and leprosy.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I would run with Remove Disease, but I would impose a minimum level on the cleric/paladin removing the disease.

Leprosy and the Black Death are identified as Dread Diseases in my homebrew, requiring a Heal spell - going beyond the normal limits of disease, and being thought a judgement from God. The Crab is not quite so feared - it does not so easily spread to those you hold dear.

The Auld Grump, Ring Around the Rosie, a Pocket Full of Posies....

Remove ads