• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can gnomes talk to rats?

Trench

First Post
I'm running an urban police procedural DnD campaign, and the player with a gnome PC had a very good question. Namely, if rats would count as a "burrowing animal" for a gnome's Speak With Animals ability. The gnome wasn't raised in the city, however, and is basically a slumming tourist from a more typically gnomish environment.

I'm leaning toward yes, but also not sure if it could be TOO powerful. Rats are pretty prevalent and could be extremely useful spies.

smootrk

First Post
I would say that rats would count as small burrowing animals... but this is an opinion. I form this opinion from thinking about sewer creatures... not a cute cudley place or type of critter, but underground regardless, and rats certainly can dig tunnels through areas.

Trench

First Post
Relique du Madde said:
So are you trying to establish a link between Gnomish and ratmen (Skaven) menace?

Nah, it's the Ptolus campaign. Not even sure what Skaven are, to be honest. But there are ratlings, which are basically kobolds except rat-based as oppsoed to dragon based. There will be run-ins with them at some point for sure.

Darklone

UltimaGabe said:
I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed. Sure, he can talk to rats, but the rat's knowledge is still limited by its intelligence.
Right. I agree that the rats will probably somehow know everything in town... sadly they won't understand everything.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
starwed said:
I'm pretty sure kobolds have always been reptilian in nature; certainly the 1e Monster Manual depicts them so.

nope dog men

and Mr Gygax has clarified the picture problem. His explanation was that the artist when given the concept of green hairless dogmen gave them scales as a peice of artistic licence

iirc the rat interpretation of kobold was a 2e thing

Remove ads