• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can I Ignore An Opponent?

Panask

First Post
Well, the Rules Folks tell me there is no official rule for this. So how about house rules?

Is it possible for a character to simply ignore a specific opponent, so that the opponent's ally wouldn't flank? If so, what advantages would the ignored opponent have against the character, and what other disadvantages (if any) would the character face?

I'm interested in how anybody handles this in their campaign.

Panask
Servitar to Baldur

Sledge

First Post
ignoring an opponent would theoretically give that opponent a way better chance to hit you...
say helpless modifiers? That sounds about right...
Coup De Grace might even be viable. After if I ignore the guy with a sword behind me, then I deserve to die.

Squire James

First Post
I see no need for special rules at all. The guy you're ignoring gets to flank you and gets AoO's on you depending on what you're doing (and probably requires an overrun to force out of your way). If the guy you're ignoring is far enough below you in power, the effect is very small. Just because you're ignoring someone doesn't mean he's ignoring you!

Mooks and similar underlings exist to keep the PC's busy a few rounds while the villain gets to be the villain. Many PC's would LIKE to simply ignore the mooks and plow through to the villain, but DM's need to demonstrate from time to time that villains aren't required to be idiots!

Storyteller01

First Post
This came up in a previous thread. The consesus was to treat the ignored opponents as if they were invisible. You could negate a rogues SA, but his flanking buddy gets his +2 and negates your Dex bonus to AC.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
SO

Okay - guy to my left is waving a big sword in my direction, Ignore Opponent ability on!
Um - time to cast Raise Dead

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I liked someone's idea of using the close your eyes action (granting the "ignored" guy total concealment). You gain no benefit except for not having to look at that ugly mo-fo'. Okay, it's useful if your flanker is a Medusa, but that's it.

-- N

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
Storyteller01 said:
This came up in a previous thread. The consesus was to treat the ignored opponents as if they were invisible. You could negate a rogues SA, but his flanking buddy gets his +2 and negates your Dex bonus to AC.
There was no consensus.

Fieari

Explorer
Well, there were a number of proponents of that choice, I think.

Personally, I'd not only treat the ignored person as if invisible, but also provoke Attacks of Opportunity for every action taken while that person is ignored.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads