• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Can I Move, Dodge AND Attack in the Same Round?

pontinyc

Explorer
Question asks it all. If I have 30 feet of movement, can I use, for example, twenty of it to run to my adversary while dodging and then attack? Can I move at all while dodging? If so, why would I ever choose NOT to do this as it gains me disadvantage on my attacker's attack?

Thanks in advance for any clarification!

Jeph

Explorer
Nope!

You get to move 30' no matter what.

On top of that, you get one and only one action.

Dodging is an action.

Attacking is an action.

So you can move and dodge, or move and attack, but not attack and dodge at the same time.

(Unless you have some relevant feature of special ability that lets you for instance dodge as a bonus action instead of a normal action.)

Iosue

Legend
Can't you take a dodge action and use an extra attack?

For example extra attacks received as a fighter or barb.
Don't have my books with me, so I can't comment on the barbarian, but Fighters' extra-attacks explicitly cue off of taking the Attack action. No attack action = no extra-attack.

That said, a Fighter can Dodge, Move their normal movement, and then use Action Surge to Attack (triggering any extra attacks as well). But only once before a short rest.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Yeah monk or fighter can or maybe with Haste spell - but only be using limited resources. No-one does both all the time, it would be quite OP indeed.

PnPgamer

Explorer
Could you do it all the time with charger feat and a mount?
Let me open:
Mounted guy with chsrger feat charges, uses dodge for himself, mount uses dash, rider gets bonus action attack.

Paraxis

Explorer
Could you do it all the time with charger feat and a mount?
Let me open:
Mounted guy with chsrger feat charges, uses dodge for himself, mount uses dash, rider gets bonus action attack.

For the charger feat to work the character with the feat has to take the dash action, not his mount.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
You would have to be a Rogue, use Cunning Action every turn.

However, this is probably a bad thing, as Bonus Action Scarcity is a very real thing. You would be precluded from hiding, or using any bonus action attacks.

Remove ads