• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can I shoot that?

What methods can you use without appearing to be an Iron fisted DM?

• Cater for the party’s new found tastes

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Of course you can kill anything… its a game after all

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Hypnotise them! Hypnotise them all!!

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Become a passive DM and plot your PCs deaths

Votes: 21 46.7%

Bluewolf

First Post
If I had a penny for every time I heard that…

Why do PCs attempt to kill everything in their wake? I had to spend yet another session explaining that the DnD world is basically similar to ours e.g. you don’t go around randomly killing people, unless of course your suffering from some sort of psychological disorder.

How do you stop or deter PCs from randomly killing (and eating if Half-Orcs) in your campaign? What method can you employ without appearing to be an Iron fisted DM?

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
I just make a few assumptions about the world the PCs live in...

1.) The PCs, especially at low levels, are not that unlike other adventuring parties.

2.) Adventuring parties have existed from time immemorial.

3.) Adventuring parties in the past have tended to act like the PCs act.

Conclusions:

1.) The local authorities are "used to" the PCs' tactics and will do exactly the most efficient thing to counter them (esp. sleep spells on low level PCs).

2.) If the PCs are @$$holes, the common people are accustomed to dealing with @$$holes. They assume all adventurers are @$$holes. The PCs don't get the time of day, the barkeep won't serve them, they are automatically guilty until proven innocent, and in general everyone treats them in the manner they so richly deserve.
"Want a longsword? Good. It'll cost you 400 gp. No, it's not masterworked... that gets into the tens of thousands."
"No, I will not cast cure disease on you lawless ruffians."
"We don't serve your kind here."
*little kids throwing stones at the PCs* "Get out of here, we don't want you around. Always making mom cry and beating dad up. Jerks!"
*constant pickpocket attempts*
*deliberately spitting in/poisoning/etc. the PCs' food and drink, knowing that the authorities will turn a blind eye*

Furthermore, the authorities react with extreme prejudice, killing first and asking questions never. If the PCs break even the smallest of laws, they can expect death sentences... preferably at the hands of the town marshall (who is several levels higher than the PCs and can comfortably kick the crap out of them).

3.) If the PCs are nice, people tend to have good memories of previous "nice" adventuring parties and will be helpful.

The PCs tend to get the message really quickly... be an @$$ and everyone is an @$$ back to you. And since there are so many of them - and most of them have things you want/need (like healing, food, magic, etc.) you darn well better not be an @$$.

Then again, maybe I'm just hypersensitive to boorish PCs. The PCs should be the heroes of the story, not the villains.

I had one group that tried to go way out of control. So I had the local town wizard, whom they knew was exceedingly powerful, TPK them when they ran amok in town. He took great pains to make them look as impotent and pathetic as possible before killing them all in cold, unemotional, methodical fashion. When they started whining, I basically said, "look, if you're going to act like @$$holes, pretty soon everyone notices and stops liking you. You're just pissed because everyone is treating you just like you've been treating them. The Golden Rule applies here." They got the message.

--The Sigil

Drayan

First Post
While I can't offer any help on the subject, I can offer an answer to the question of why. From my personal experience, as someone who used to want a lot of role-playing in my campaigns, and who now prefers a good dungeon crawl, killing is vastly easier than role-playing. Why sit and think of an in-character response. when you can just cut them down and be done with it. However, this is just me. I could be wrong.

Agback

Explorer
Bluewolf said:
How do you stop or deter PCs from randomly killing (and eating if Half-Orcs) in your campaign?

1) Make sure I run adventures in which there is something else to do.

2) Play up to character concept and fantasy tropes.

3) Present characters with dilemmas ("On one hand, we have to kill them because of X. On the other hand, we can't kill them because of Y. I guess we have to do something about either X or Y.")

4) Give one clear warning out of game, and then enforce campaign reality. If the PCs kill anyone without concealing or justifying the act pretty well, they will acquire an unsavoury reputation, make enemies, and be charged with murder, then be boycotted, get involved in a feud, and be arrested, quickly tried, and summarily hanged (if not lynched). Re-training you players this way may cost you a TPK and a campaign, but it is worth the price.

5) Award experience for overcoming obstacles even if they are not killed, and withhold experience for killing things if the killings did not constitute the defeat of an obstacle that you set in designing the adventure. ("Sure you killed the paladin, his confessor, his squire, his shield-bearer and his groom. But they weren't an obstacle, so no experience.")

6) After three sessions, sack any player who has not got the message.

Regards,

Agback

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Re: Re: Can I shoot that?

Agback said:
6) After three sessions, sack any player who has not got the message.

That's a little on the extreme side. I wouldn't get rid of any player who wasn't casuing a problem, and I doubt this fits that criteria.

Agback

Explorer
Re: Re: Re: Can I shoot that?

Crothian said:
That's a little on the extreme side. I wouldn't get rid of any player who wasn't casuing a problem, and I doubt this fits that criteria.

Well, I think that any player who forces on me the choice of either

(1) surrendering suspension of disbelief by having thousands of NPCs unrealistically turn a blind eye to his habit of casual murder, or

(2) giving up on the adventures I have planned to play out his being hunted down and destroyed like a rabid dog,

ipso facto is causing a problem. YMMV. YDWYDWP.

Regards,

Agback

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads