• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can I squeeze an augmented Half-Cloud Giant/Half-White Dragon in a 20 ft. cube?

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
We met such a beast tonight, and a good question was asked. The wizard cast a Forcecage around this creature.

For those that do not know what Forcecage is, it's like Wall of Force, except it's a cube. Two modes are available: 20 ft. cube, barred walls or 10 ft. cube solid walls. If the creature is too big to fit, the spell fails.

The wizard chose the 20 ft. cube barred version so that the creature would fit, as it is a Huge creature (15 ft. space).

Now, the DM asked a valid question: a standard Cloud Giant is 18 ft. tall, as per the MM description. Sure, it's listed as Huge, but as per RAW would a Half-Cloud Giant/Half-White Dragon (which may have greater "footage") fit in a 20 ft. cube? Is there any consideration for things like wingspan (it was flying at the time)?

What if the spell made a 15 ft. cube? Is the rule Huge = fits in a 15 ft. cube even if the monster description says it's 18 ft. tall?

So, the second version, a 10 ft. cube, could be used against any Large creature?

Andargor

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
If you do anything other than go "lets just run with the rules and numbers we have", then you're in for endless to-ing and fro-ing.

It's listed as 15ft on it's biggest noted dimension, so it fits. Anything else means you need to estimat the wingspan of a humanoid that's 15 feet tall, and you'll probably conclude that such a creature is impossible...

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Saeviomagy said:
If you do anything other than go "lets just run with the rules and numbers we have", then you're in for endless to-ing and fro-ing.

It's listed as 15ft on it's biggest noted dimension, so it fits. Anything else means you need to estimat the wingspan of a humanoid that's 15 feet tall, and you'll probably conclude that such a creature is impossible...

Thanks for the response. The DM is still skeptical because of the 18 ft tall Cloud Giant issue and the wingspan. :)

Any second opinions?

Andargor

Last edited:

Dwarmaj

First Post
My opionion (for what it's worth) is that you should go by the size of the creature (small, medium, large, huge...) and not the height listed (flavor text).

Would the spell fail if you chose the 10' cube to cage an ogre if he had his arms extended over his head? (I wouldn't think so)

Kind of a side question...
If the dragon was flying and a force cage was suddenly put around him, would he take the equivalent of falling damage as he flew into the side of the cage?

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Dwarmaj said:
My opionion (for what it's worth) is that you should go by the size of the creature (small, medium, large, huge...) and not the height listed (flavor text).

Would the spell fail if you chose the 10' cube to cage an ogre if he had his arms extended over his head? (I wouldn't think so)

Kind of a side question...
If the dragon was flying and a force cage was suddenly put around him, would he take the equivalent of falling damage as he flew into the side of the cage?

Here's another example: An Elder Fire Elemental is listed as being 40 ft. high, but it's size is Huge (15 ft. space). That's quite a disparity. Forcecage would still work on it?

Andargor

Rath the Brown

First Post
andargor said:
What if the spell made a 15 ft. cube? Is the rule Huge = fits in a 15 ft. cube even if the monster description says it's 18 ft. tall?Andargor

I think this is where the confusion is happening; what makes you think a creature's space = a cube? A creature's space does not equal the creature's size. A creature's space is the number of squares a creature takes up on a battle grid in order to fight effectively, as described in the front of the Monster Manual.

An Elder Air Elemental is a Huge creature (15' space/reach), yet is listed as being 40' high. An Elder Air Elemental would not fit in a Forcecage, even though it only takes up 15 squares on a battle grid.

Remove ads