• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can incorporeal creatures be disintegrated?

DizzyKungFu

First Post
If a sorcerer hits a wraith with a disintegrate spell, assuming that he makes the ranged touch attack, and that the 50% chance to ignore non-force spells doesn't ruin the spell, and that the wraith doesn't make its Fort save, can the wraith be disintegrated? I can't seem to find anything that says they can't, although one could certainly argue that they are impossible to disintegrate because they don't have a corporeal form. Does anyone know the correct rule for this?

Merlion

First Post
Hmmm....I think their is something somewhere...in the spell descpretion or something like that...that says only corporeal undead can be disintegrated.
its an interesting question....my first impulse was to say no because they have no physical form, but the Bigby's Hand spell effects and Walls of Force can be disintegrated.
All and all I'd personaly call it a DM call most likely. Very intriguing question tho...

hammymchamham

First Post
Just to throw it out, the spell says:

"Up to a 10-foot cube of nonliving matter is affected"

Incorporeal creatures aren't made up of "matter" and are not living...

I'd think they'd be immune to such an affect

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
As Dizzy points out, there's nothing in the rules to say it can't work.

Disintegrate affects creatures. Incorporeal Undead are creatures.

Disintegrate is a Fort Save effect that affects objects. Undead are immune to Fort Save effects, except those that affect objects.

Incorporeal creatures are immune to normal attacks, but have a 50% chance to be affected by spell effects. Disintegrate is a spell effect.

My only question is - does a Disintegrated spectre turn into a pile of dust... or a pile of incorporeal dust?

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Hey, a whole new reason to start Wraith Farming... keep the Wraiths supplied with kobolds, and you only need to Disintegrate a couple each day to keep your Incorporeal Dust business well-stocked...

-Hyp.

Eldorian

First Post
That seriously does sound like a bitchen spell component. Well, maybe not spell component, but perhaps ingredient for magic item creation.

Eldorian Antar

Remove ads